Best modded Marshall you have played??

mooncobra

I had an awesome JCM800 50 watt, with Cameron Aldrich mod. There were a handful of tone shaping options on the rear and it was such a bad ass amp!! I had other Camerons that were close.

My buddy had a red plexi that was Jake E Lee's from the 80s and it was really, really bad ass. I am not sure who modded it, but god damn, it sounded so good. There were a handful of added controls on rear, I don't remember what they were. he had it in 97. He got it at Black Market Music for a grand even!!!! That was costly for Black Market. Not long before he got that I got a JCM800 and matching cab for 750 or 800 bucks.

I would love to get one from Hermansson! Also one of his modded PA's, how good do those sound!!!!

No best just different..

some of my experience with modded Marshalls in no particular order

Splawn Modded 1987x. These were such a deal. They were like 1300.00 or something like that brand new with the mod. That was by far my favorite Spawn I ever played. It still sounded like a Marshall but hot rodded. He was so nice to work with too

Cameron Low gain Jose. This was Marks personal amp that he carved his ss# into the back name plate in case it got stolen. It was perfect. Not too much gain but enough. It retained the Marshall Kerrang and percussion but added enough grease for most things. nudge with an 808 screaming demon.. .I let a friend borrow it as collateral for a loan equal to the value of the amp. he promised I could have it back when I paid him back. He renigged on the deal, wouldn't sell it back and moved to Hawaii with it. I am pissed about that one and so is Mark

Cameron High Gain Jose 2203X. this was for sure the most versatile and best all around modded marshall. I did not need all the features and extra this and that . I preferred the Low gain Jose. still has high gain.

Friedman 2203x great great amp for high gain liquid stuff. My problem is the mod took the Marshall out of the Marshall for me. The text book workhorse 800 foundation tone was gone. So the mod took more away than what it added imo. I would have been better off with an O r two in front. Don't get me wrong, if the Friedman sound is all you want, it was there nd it was good. I needed some more Marshall stiffness.

Friedman modded jmp. It almost caught on fire the first time it was turned on so I have no idea. I had Dave do it for a friend while I was in LA on business. No fault of Dave. He did me such a solid. Modded two amps for me in like 3 days.. Great service.. something must have been up with the amp or the tubes cause I am sure he had nothing to do with it catching fire.

78jmp2204 with Bogner mod from 1990 or so. Kind of like the Friedman in that is was a high gain amp. period.. But this particular high gain amp is one of the greasiest, sexiest, orgasmic high gain 80's shred machine I have ever played. period. bar none. except the PT or OT has some hum. Don, Warren D, VH, etc. dripping out of this thing!!

Bogner modded 800 This was a mod RB did back in Germany. This had no master but had internally jumped channels and a clean channel. It has to be cranked to get the goods but they are there. When I had this amp I could not help but do tons of AIC covers. It nailed it but the volume was almost unnerving.

Thats my 02 on mods

I've never played a "real" modded Marshall. All I have to go on are the Ceriatones I have. And of the two, the Chupacabra is the winner for me. I had a CCV for a bit, but I don't think that really counts.

Would love to try a real Cameron Jose or Cali or Aldrich or whatever.

Langner did some sick sounding amps. Did some gigs back in the old days with Vicious Rumors and those guys had Langner mods and their tone was ridiculous. And Carl Albert, what can you say about that guy.....WHAT A SINGER.
Hard to say the best ive had, but Nicks Aldrich Mod he did for me is right up there at the top. I have a Lee Jackson mod right now that I bought from the guy from King Kobra.....bad ass amp. I have a Cameron 3 channel that is sick too. Love them all. Oh and the 74 Metal Panel mystery mod with the Fender Tolex I still have that one and its killer too.

gtrwun":3jb5vs3q said:
Langner did some sick sounding amps. Did some gigs back in the old days with Vicious Rumors and those guys had Langner mods and their tone was ridiculous. And Carl Albert, what can you say about that guy.....WHAT A SINGER.
Hard to say the best ive had, but Nicks Aldrich Mod he did for me is right up there at the top. I have a Lee Jackson mod right now that I bought from the guy from King Kobra.....bad ass amp. I have a Cameron 3 channel that is sick too. Love them all. Oh and the 74 Metal Panel mystery mod with the Fender Tolex I still have that one and its killer too.
Nick did the same mod for me to a Red Bear 60w. My kids HS grad present, amp was 100 and Nick charged me like 300 for the mod. Hell of a sweet sounding amp. Sounds like you have a nice collection! :rock:

I think Dave is crazy not to offer the atomica he did and the ccv under different names and cosmetic change... its a no brainer

I've played most of them and it's really a matter of taste. The Freidman sound is more low end heavier and darker. The Cameron stuff is more midrange and edgy. I've been gigging with a Cameron Ocean modded JCM800, yikes. Pretty slammin. Hardly a gig goes by and someone doesn't come up to me and ask 'what the hell JCM800 is that'. :)

Had a Cameron, couple of Friedmans, Voodoo, Splawn modded marshall, (and one of his production amps), played a friend's Jon Wilder modded Marshall, right now my favorite 'modded marshall' is a Bogner Helios 50.

gtrwun":11sj66k3 said:

Sweet. I may have actually played that vicious rumors amp. I've tried a few and I recall that name being mentioned in part of the folk lore. But they may have just talked about other bands that had them. One of the biggest tragedies was Gary Holt getting his main tempo of the damned Langner recapped and it forever changed the amp.

Here is Langner style modded Marshall in action:

It's a fire hose. It's not an original but close. It's a shame there are so few of these left.

thefyn":37rema8b said:
gtrwun":37rema8b said:

Sweet. I may have actually played that vicious rumors amp. I've tried a few and I recall that name being mentioned in part of the folk lore. But they may have just talked about other bands that had them. One of the biggest tragedies was Gary Holt getting his main tempo of the damned Langner recapped and it forever changed the amp.

Here is Langner style modded Marshall in action:

It's a fire hose. It's not an original but close. It's a shame there are so few of these left.

Damn that amp sounds REALLY good! Guitar too. Nice playing and recording too. Great job. Never heard that Gary Holt story before? My 74 needs some work and im afraid to let anyone touch it for the same reason. Start changing the smallest of things and you could lose the magic in the amp. Maybe im paranoid. :confused:

Back