Best modded Marshall you have played??

mooncobra":3n0sl8lx said:
Starman22":3n0sl8lx said:
My Fortin " Killer Kali ++ " modded 1959SLP is truly epic.

awesome amp, same as the gower kk++, both totally bitchin!!

Yep the Gower KK++ kicks major ass!!!!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    721.2 KB · Views: 4,566
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 4,549
There is a guy I know selling his Langner modified peavey 5150, he didnt know a lot about the mod other than it changed the mids and maybe some other things he couldnt explain. I might go play it, if it sounds good I'll buy it. anyone have a Langner modded peavey 5150?

James Lugo":15r87n17 said:
I've played most of them and it's really a matter of taste. The Freidman sound is more low end heavier and darker. The Cameron stuff is more midrange and edgy. I've been gigging with a Cameron Ocean modded JCM800, yikes. Pretty slammin. Hardly a gig goes by and someone doesn't come up to me and ask 'what the hell JCM800 is that'. :)

I love the tone of your Cameron "Ocean" james!! Is Killer!!! :rock:

lespaul6":29ralr9a said:
There is a guy I know selling his Langner modified peavey 5150, he didnt know a lot about the mod other than it changed the mids and maybe some other things he couldnt explain. I might go play it, if it sounds good I'll buy it. anyone have a Langner modded peavey 5150?
Man that sounds like it would be killer.
Whats he asking for it?

My Lickliter (basically gutted and rebuilt) JCM800 50w. combo that I turned into a head is so awesome. I had a David Bray modded JCM800 (horizontal input) that was cool, but didn't even touch it - but to be fair, it was more of a classic VH vibe, not a gain monster like the Lickliter. I also played my buddy's ROCKSTAH MOD5 that was cool...somewhat similar in sound to the Bray.

Mailman1971":3sipoq8o said:
lespaul6":3sipoq8o said:
Whats he asking for it?

I think 600

lespaul6":1d1qsxc3 said:
Mailman1971":1d1qsxc3 said:
lespaul6":1d1qsxc3 said:
Whats he asking for it?

I think 600
Man that's a pretty good deal. Pretty rare too. Doubt many of them floating around.

By far the best modded Marshall I've tried is my Marshall SLP that was modded by Dave Friedman to the specs of the Cameron Atomica. Apparently it was a one off amp and was made sort of like a prototype to the actual Atomicas. I tried an Atomica once at Tone Merchants and I like mine even better. It's more raw and aggressive from how I remember the actual Atomica sounding. Since getting my Atomica I've sold/traded the following amps (and they were all terrific amps:) Bogner Helios 100, Gower Rockmonster, 1968 Marshall Major 200, Metropoulos Metroplex, and a Mezzabarba Mzero Overdrive. These were all killer amps (especially the Mezzabarba and Gower), but I AB'ed all of them several times, and they all for my taste had nothing to offer me compared to the Atomica. The Atomica is also quite versatile with it's 3 voicing switch and diode clipping knob on the back. It had the biggest sound, moved the most air, and had the most complete and raw growl compared to all these amps, although the Mezzabarba was similarly big sounding and the Gower had similarly complete growl on powerchords. And it also had the tightest and most articulate palm mutes of these amps, and was better for leads and single note riffs (the notes had more weight and stood out more). It's tied with my mark IIC+ HRG and mark III++ coliseum as my favorite amp!

I've also owned the following and they were all good but none of them were nearly as good as my Atomica: Friedman Phil X, Henning Cherry Bomb, Langner DCP-1, Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident Stage II

I bet the other Cameron modded Marshalls may be every bit as good or even better than what I have, but never got to try a Cameron modded Marshall yet. I have a CCV, but that's not at all a Marshally sound IMO. I also really wanna try a Gower Killer Kali ++ mod

Also, my JCM800 with the V5 mod by kruse is awesome and one of the best modded Marshalls from my experience! By far the best JCM800 I've tried and I'm not generally a fan of the 800's (I prefer plexis). It originally had that custom one off mod done by Friedman for Reza and it was good, but sounds 1000x better now!

braintheory":5ntomy3r said:
By far the best modded Marshall I've tried is my Marshall SLP that was modded by Dave Friedman to the specs of the Cameron Atomica. Apparently it was a one off amp and was made sort of like a prototype to the actual Atomicas. I tried an Atomica once at Tone Merchants and I like mine even better. It's more raw and aggressive from how I remember the actual Atomica sounding. Since getting my Atomica I've sold/traded the following amps (and they were all terrific amps:) Bogner Helios 100, Gower Rockmonster, 1968 Marshall Major 200, Metropoulos Metroplex, and a Mezzabarba Mzero Overdrive. These were all killer amps (especially the Mezzabarba and Gower), but I AB'ed all of them several times, and they all for my taste had nothing to offer me compared to the Atomica. The Atomica is also quite versatile with it's 3 voicing switch and diode clipping knob on the back. It had the biggest sound, moved the most air, and had the most complete and raw growl compared to all these amps, although the Mezzabarba was similarly big sounding and the Gower had similarly complete growl on powerchords. And it also had the tightest and most articulate palm mutes of these amps, and was better for leads and single note riffs (the notes had more weight and stood out more). It's tied with my mark IIC+ HRG and mark III++ coliseum as my favorite amp!

I've also owned the following and they were all good but none of them were nearly as good as my Atomica: Friedman Phil X, Henning Cherry Bomb, Langner DCP-1, Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident Stage II

I bet the other Cameron modded Marshalls may be every bit as good or even better than what I have, but never got to try a Cameron modded Marshall yet. I have a CCV, but that's not at all a Marshally sound IMO. I also really wanna try a Gower Killer Kali ++ mod

Also, my JCM800 with the V5 mod by kruse is awesome and one of the best modded Marshalls from my experience! By far the best JCM800 I've tried and I'm not generally a fan of the 800's (I prefer plexis). It originally had that custom one off mod done by Friedman for Reza and it was good, but sounds 1000x better now!

Yeah the production Atomica is still a great amp and I still love mine. Of course a mod of a Marshall amp to the Atomica specs will not be actually the same as the production model. I also have a JCM 800 Gower KK++ and it rocks. The Atomica has a different flavor to keep it as the Gower KK++ is absolutely amazing!!

metalmaniac93":33q4koc8 said:
braintheory":33q4koc8 said:

Yeah the production Atomica is still a great amp and I still love mine. Of course a mod of a Marshall amp to the Atomica specs will not be actually the same as the production model. I also have a JCM 800 Gower KK++ and it rocks. The Atomica has a different flavor to keep it as the Gower KK++ is absolutely amazing!!
Yeah that's probably true, but mine has everything I liked about the Atomica and more! That being said, I'd still grab an Atomica if I ever saw one for sale, assuming it's a fair price. How would you compare the KK++ to the Atomica? Right now the 2 amps at the top of my list are a Gower Killer Kali ++ and a Wizard MTL. Are the chugs on the KK++ as big sounding as the Atomica? Does it growl as much as the Atomica? How does it compare for leads and single note riffs?

I've only experienced the Gower Rockmonster mod, and while it was a terrific amp, my Atomica sounded bigger, more open, aggressive, and better for leads and single note riffs, but it was about equal in the growl department (maybe even a hair better on the Gower), so I'm guessing the KK++ will be on point there too

Mailman1971":2fd169pd said:
Had a lot of modded Marshalls from all the big dog modders out there.
This was my personal favorite that I owned.
Like a fool traded it off. :doh:

That was crushing dude. Sounded awesome!! :rock:

braintheory":1vs8pfev said:
metalmaniac93":1vs8pfev said:
braintheory":1vs8pfev said:

Yeah that's probably true, but mine has everything I liked about the Atomica and more! That being said, I'd still grab an Atomica if I ever saw one for sale, assuming it's a fair price. How would you compare the KK++ to the Atomica? Right now the 2 amps at the top of my list are a Gower Killer Kali ++ and a Wizard MTL. Are the chugs on the KK++ as big sounding as the Atomica? Does it growl as much as the Atomica? How does it compare for leads and single note riffs?

I've only experienced the Gower Rockmonster mod, and while it was a terrific amp, my Atomica sounded bigger, more open, aggressive, and better for leads and single note riffs, but it was about equal in the growl department (maybe even a hair better on the Gower), so I'm guessing the KK++ will be on point there too

Yes, the Atomica is definitely more open and it is killer for both leads and single note riffs. I play the Atomica mostly in the middle clipping switchmode on the back. The KK++ is equally as aggressive, but thicker sounding with that killer growl you mentioned above. Definitely not as open as the Atomica, but more open/less compressed than the Rockmonster according to Dan. I dig it especially for the heavy stuff!! It still does leads great and is more fluid than the Atomica yet still aggressive. I do not know what options you had on the Rockmonster, but my KK++ is loaded so I can adjust the amp to pretty much how I like it. Dan does make a more open version of the KK++.

metalmaniac93":2n5fkuf5 said:
braintheory":2n5fkuf5 said:
metalmaniac93":2n5fkuf5 said:
braintheory":2n5fkuf5 said:

Yes, the Atomica is definitely more open and it is killer for both leads and single note riffs. I play the Atomica mostly in the middle clipping switchmode on the back. The KK++ is equally as aggressive, but thicker sounding with that killer growl you mentioned above. Definitely not as open as the Atomica, but more open/less compressed than the Rockmonster according to Dan. I dig it especially for the heavy stuff!! It still does leads great and is more fluid than the Atomica yet still aggressive. I do not know what options you had on the Rockmonster, but my KK++ is loaded so I can adjust the amp to pretty much how I like it. Dan does make a more open version of the KK++.
My Atomica only has 2 modes on the back (with or without diode clipping) and the 3 way voicing in front. The Rockmonster was intended to be a very stripped down amp and doesn't have all those feature of the KK++. I didn't know he does a more open version. What's it called?

FourT6and2":1t93cmgv said:
cecilbag":1t93cmgv said:
Splawn for me

I think people are talking about actual Marshalls with mods here.[/quote

I was talking about his mods. He modded before he had his own line. I owned a modded 1987x of his but preferred the QuickRod. I swapped the Marshall and cash for a Bogner. I should have expanded on my answer. I think he may be offering mods again?

braintheory":2c7hgzax said:

I may have owned that Atomica before. I had an SLP modded to Atomica specs that Friedman did. Although I think according to Dave it was 1 of only 2 that he did. It was a killer amp! Does yours have part of the "h" cracked off in the Marshall logo?

Here's a couple pics of the one I had:

Webb":1vpcsx0d said:
braintheory":1vpcsx0d said:

I may have owned that Atomica before. I had an SLP modded to Atomica specs that Friedman did. Although I think according to Dave it was 1 of only 2 that he did. It was a killer amp! Does yours have part of the "h" cracked off in the Marshall logo?
Yes that's the one! Out of curiosity, why'd you sell it?
Here's a couple pics of the one I had:

Yes that's the one! Out of curiosity, why did you sell it?

braintheory":2br1f2t4 said:
Yes that's the one! Out of curiosity, why did you sell it?

I hated to part with it but something came up in trade that I wanted. I made a bunch of Kemper profiles of the amp before shipping it out. Not quite the same but I was able to capture some of the tone in the Kemper.

I also have a CCV, Fortin KK++, Cameron Aldrich mod, Friedman BE100, and a Wizard MCII so that made getting rid of it a little bit easier.

Back