Torpedo Studio Owners... Question on 3rd Party IR's

JerEvil

Hey all,

Got my Studio this week. Had a few hiccups but finally have it up and running. My question really revolves around using stock IR's vs. 3rd party.

I have what are considered to be the "go-to" stuff (OwnHammer, RedWirez, etc.) My question on the 3rd party is, do IR's still suffer from phase issues? Like if I take an OwnHammer Marshall cab and use it with a SinMix Recto cab, is it highly likely there will be funky frequencies that don't play well with each other?

Also, is there a forum where people share Two Notes presets?

Thanks in advance.

Hi JerEvil,

the phase information is lost in any IR capture process, so obviously you'll have some kind of phase cancellation happening, and it will be totally random.

With the Two notes cabinets, including all the capture masters one, our technology match every position of every microphone to make sure we minimise the phase cancelation effect. And it's possible to bring it back using the Variphi parameter.

Here is the Exchange website:

http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php

guillaume_pille":1bzim27o said:
Hi JerEvil,

the phase information is lost in any IR capture process, so obviously you'll have some kind of phase cancellation happening, and it will be totally random.

With the Two notes cabinets, including all the capture masters one, our technology match every position of every microphone to make sure we minimise the phase cancelation effect. And it's possible to bring it back using the Variphi parameter.

Here is the Exchange website:

http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php

Quick question. I picked up some of the new Celestion IRs, and they are .wav files.

What is the best sample rate/ms to use? For example, there are 44.1, 48, 88.2, & 96k, and then 200ms and 500ms versions of each of those four.

NeubyWanKaneuby":19nxu0l3 said:
JerEvil":19nxu0l3 said:
48k and 200 I think.

Thank you. I actually did some more googling and found this on their site.

https://www.celestionplus.com/ir-instructions/

Thanks for posting that link. I've been using 44k and 500ms IRs in Ableton Live. I'm not sure why, it just sort of happened. :) I just reset Ableton to 48k and will download some 48k/200ms IRs from Ownhammer. It will be interesting to hear if the sound quality changes.

96KHz and 200ms should work fine with any Torpedo.

I just don't really know why they bother offering 200 and 500, their files contain pretty much zero information after 125ms. We will take a look at the signal to noise ratio to see if there is anything to find in there but I doubt it.

guillaume_pille":z4c0xs11 said:
96KHz and 200ms should work fine with any Torpedo.

I just don't really know why they bother offering 200 and 500, their files contain pretty much zero information after 125ms. We will take a look at the signal to noise ratio to see if there is anything to find in there but I doubt it.
If I load 96k impulse responses but I'm recording at 48 kHz is that going to be an issue with somebody?

If I load 96k impulse responses but I'm recording at 48 kHz is that going to be an issue with somebody?

Nope, the Torpedo Studio features some very high quality sample rate converters so if you need a digital out at 48KHz, the conversion from 96 (which is ALWAYS the internal processing frequency) to 48 will be done properly.

If you are using an analog out, well, you don't really have to take care of that question. ;)

guillaume_pille":1nusnl3u said:

Nope, the Torpedo Studio features some very high quality sample rate converters so if you need a digital out at 48KHz, the conversion from 96 (which is ALWAYS the internal processing frequency) to 48 will be done properly.

If you are using an analog out, well, you don't really have to take care of that question. ;)
:thumbsup:

I have FOUR new Friedman/Two-Notes demos coming out in the next week or so! LOVE this Studio!

@Guillaume, thanks for this reply above - just to summarize this for my Torpedo CAB - I can use 96k IR's from Celestion (and there is no reason not to select the 300 length option I suspect also) despite that my interface (Apogee Duet) has a sample rate of 44.1k? I'm kind of at the point where I am overwhelmed by the number of options available (hundreds) from downloading 5 Celestion speaker/cabs. thanks!

guillaume_pille":1yw5c6fs said:

@Guillaume, thanks for this reply above - just to summarize this for my Torpedo CAB - I can use 96k IR's from Celestion (and there is no reason not to select the 300 length option I suspect also) despite that my interface (Apogee Duet) has a sample rate of 44.1k? I'm kind of at the point where I am overwhelmed by the number of options available (hundreds) from downloading 5 Celestion speaker/cabs. thanks!

your CAB and your interface or not synced, so don't worry, you can load anything (providing it's a MONO IR) in the CAB it won't affect how your interface works. ;)

guillaume_pille":2zzi9nqb said:

your CAB and your interface or not synced, so don't worry, you can load anything (providing it's a MONO IR) in the CAB it won't affect how your interface works. ;)

Great! thanks for the clarification! I wonder why Celestion lists manufacturer specs at 48k sample rate for Two Notes on this document? Perhaps it is outdated information? Looking forward to trying the 96k IR's now...

redking":3mmxo14y said:
Great! thanks for the clarification! I wonder why Celestion lists manufacturer specs at 48k sample rate for Two Notes on this document? Perhaps it is outdated information? Looking forward to trying the 96k IR's now...
I would also like to know why Celestion Plus indicates that in the instructions. I have tried to load both the 48k and 96k IR, and I seem to prefer the 48k.

In the Torpedo CAB, the Torpedo process is at 48Khz (some other parts like the power amp are at 96), so the 96KHz file will be downsampled anyway. They should sound very close, if not 100% identical.

Back