Soul Food with Uberschall

Just got a new toy and wanted to share. EHX Soul Food.

I've been running a Maxon 808, and it makes the Uber pissed and grindy. But I bought the damn amp because it had so much bass, and the Maxon cuts it obviously.

I've been contemplating a Suhr Koko Boost for a few months, but haven't felt like shelling out $250 for a boost. Dude at Guitar Center suggested an EHX Soul Food. I played nice, but haven't ever been fond of EHX stuff. Did a bit of research, and today brought one home.

My verdict, I have grind, but my bass response is still there. A/B with the maxon, I greatly prefer the Soul Food. And at $80, I'm a smitten kitten.

Uberschall they are known for the massive brutal bottom end.
The boost will always cut the low end and you don't want that :)
I have never boosted it. no need to.
I was extremely lucky that Reinhold Bogner modded me one of my ultimate Uberschall Original. That mod is devastating. It's kinda of a boost without losing the low end ;) extremely Hard to do but he had done it for me.

Love the sound of yours, wild. I do however like mine boosted, at least for low volumes. I'm a sucker for high-mid attack. I also want my low-end, I want it all haha

Hey man, I am a firm believer in the Koko boost.

Everyone's setup and goals are different but idk it is just the right pedal for me. I went from a devoted Maxon 808 guy to the Suhr and am not looking back. Not with this setup anyway, it is perfect.

I know a guy who had both the grind and the koko at the same time, he sold the grind. I will also say IMO the koko likes 18v.

I say get one and try it. I wait for MONTHS for a good deal. Scored one for under $120 on ebay but it took a very long time to wait for the right deal. Just keep your eyes open. It is worth a try IMO.

With that said I also rave a lot about the pedal and someone else on here bought one from my hype and he did not like it at all. To each their own, maybe it will work for you maybe not.

There are TONS of very transparent pedals out there these days that will not cut your bass to try from.

Koko Pro's - sounds grainy as fuck, transparent, gives you that little extra push and is great IMO for metal.

3 way clipping toggle

Can choose the actual frequency of the mid boost (still doesn't cut the bass only boosts the mids) and the actual boost amount so lots of options. (I keep both low)

Koko cons - For me, the clean boost side is useless. I use a boost in front of a high gain amp to give it a little more. IMO the clean boost side sounds like crap. It is not stack able so it is one or the other.

I have never played around with different uses like slight breakup on cleans and whatever else so this is just my experience with my application.

This pedal would be perfect if the clean boost was stack able and was just simply a db boost of the other channel. That way I could use it for a lead boost.

misterspockyall":qn2m2el7 said:
Love the sound of yours, wild. I do however like mine boosted, at least for low volumes. I'm a sucker for high-mid attack. I also want my low-end, I want it all haha

I'm like you in that I love that grinding upper mid attack. I also like a deep punchy low end, but one that is tight and sharp on the attack of the low notes. I think that's the thing I love the most about the Savage 120. It achieves those things for me without a boost just plugged straight in. :rock:

I've thought about trying the Soulfood a few times myself. Might eventually give it a shot in place of the TS9 I run in front of the FB100.

I still want and will own an Uberschall someday.

MetalHeadMike":3h1lcfar said:
misterspockyall":3h1lcfar said:

I'm like you in that I love that grinding upper mid attack. I also like a deep punchy low end, but one that is tight and sharp on the attack of the low notes. I think that's the thing I love the most about the Savage 120. It achieves those things for me without a boost just plugged straight in. :rock:

I've thought about trying the Soulfood a few times myself. Might eventually give it a shot in place of the TS9 I run in front of the FB100.

I still want and will own an Uberschall someday.

I'll have to throw the Soul Food in front of my brother's FB100 one day and post back with my impressions for you. I know the Maxon didn't quite sing well with it.

Maddnotez- Thanks as always for the input. If i get the hair up my ass one day, I'm gonna have to try it. I mean, it can't be any worse than a Soul Food I think...

I typically use the OD808 as well as it's lower gain (not really adding gain to the signal but maybe a hair), or the Mesa Flux Drive or BB Preamp. The Uber has plenty of bass but obviously the boost adds a different flavor and attack to the amp. The BBPreamp and Mesa Flux are my favorite OD's - maybe need to try a Soul Food...or the OD808x

Was hoping the Killswitch Engage OD would see the light of day.

UberschallEL34":wzmquqi0 said:
I typically use the OD808 as well as it's lower gain (not really adding gain to the signal but maybe a hair), or the Mesa Flux Drive or BB Preamp. The Uber has plenty of bass but obviously the boost adds a different flavor and attack to the amp. The BBPreamp and Mesa Flux are my favorite OD's - maybe need to try a Soul Food...or the OD808x

Compared to the OD808, I find the Soul Food has less boost overall, or at least that's my impression. I have to max the volume and work the gain around 9 'oclock to get it to compare to the Maxon with the typical "full volume, minimum gain" settings.

But the benefits of keeping more of the amps original tone with the Soul Food make it very worth it for me. I get to hear all the Uber can do, but get that immediate mid-range attack from the boost. Until I shell out for a Koko, I don't foresee swapping it out.

I didn't dig the Koko as much for boosting the lead channel, I liked it though on the Uber Clean channel - sounded great for fattening up the clean and adding some mids on the mid boost setting.

UberschallEL34":1ghma96y said:

The only negative with the BB (and it is one of my favs among a bunch of od pedals I own) is that it has a lot of gain, even with the gain knob below 9:00... And it is very Marshally sounding (hence the Bluesbreaker moniker). It really adds a Marshall flavor to the sound, which can be good or bad depending or your wants. Another guy here erock513 swears by it and gets awesome results from the BB as well. If you haven't tried it op, you should.

The TS variety of pedals never tend to work well with Marshall style amps and were always voiced for giving a Fender amp gain at lower volumes and/or a boost in the mids so that your solo can stand out in a mix. I figured this out long ago when having my own headaches with drive and boost pedals that play well with my Bogners!

I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about losing a little bit of bass with an Uberschall having an 808 in front. There is so much on tap, just turn the bass knob up 10% more.

RJF":39ei6nqx said:
I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about losing a little bit of bass with an Uberschall having an 808 in front. There is so much on tap, just turn the bass knob up 10% more.
The loss is considerable, and not really able to be recovered with the bass knob as those frequencies are so weak when they hit the amp. Although I am just playing in a room by myself, so I'm not aiming for band mix frequencies.

Two other pedals you should check out are the Airis Effects Savage Drive and KHDK Ghoul Screamer. I really like the SD in front of my Blue Uber and Triple Recto. The GS has little more chunk if wanted (body switch), so that maybe be the ticket for you... but both are optimized for the task at hand.

Wizard of Ozz":1qw2oq0i said:
Two other pedals you should check out are the Airis Effects Savage Drive and KHDK Ghoul Screamer. I really like the SD in front of my Blue Uber and Triple Recto. The GS has little more chunk if wanted (body switch), so that maybe be the ticket for you... but both are optimized for the task at hand.

Right on, I was curious about the Ghoul Screamer. I've actually been playing straight into the amp lately and taking it for what it is, but I like this as a database for what may or may not work for certain applications with an Uber. Who knows, I'll probably go back to boosting next week :LOL: :LOL:

ghoul screamer is a nice pedal, i bought one over the weekend, i normally boost with my od808 but i will be using the ghoul in the future.

misterspockyall":2j1l6y0n said:
For archiving's sake, I got a Koko Boost. The Soul Food is getting put away. The Koko is like a hifi version. Way better.

Nice :thumbsup: Congrats! Thought about a Koko over the holiday, but decided I'm content with my TS9 for my high gainers and decided on an od for my low gain needs and picked up a Timmy instead. So far I'm loving the Timmy with the Germino club 40.

Nice, I've read about those too. But at some point, try one out. I was skeptical, but for me Koko>soul food>maxon 808>ts9. Sounds like a different amp.

Back