Sold the Mark V 25... Ax8 incoming!!!!

Check your cables and go into the global menu and check input levels. There should be plenty of gain.

jinch0":w6bqjir2 said:
BrokenFusion":w6bqjir2 said:
Whats wrong with it specifically? What are you playing it through?

It feels like doesn't enough gain.
I've seen a lot of demos of this thing sounding amazing so I know something is wrong. If I can't figure out what's wrong I'm going back to tube amps.

The Axe has more gain than most tube amps I have used
The problem is it will take time to get it too work for you
Expect at least a good 3 or 4 days it's not as simple
As just dialling in a tube amp
Make sure you reset the amp blocks if it was used
You never know what settings were saved

jinch0":d5uc7rdx said:
BrokenFusion":d5uc7rdx said:

I've seen a lot of demos of this thing sounding amazing so I know something is wrong. If I can't figure out what's wrong I'm going back to tube amps.

You don't seem like the knee jerk reaction type at all :LOL: :LOL:

"The Axe doesn't have enough gain"...said NOBODY EVER...until now.

Something has to be wrong with your setup.

It's been a week with the ax8 and no matter what I do sounds thin, lifeless and fake. It's frustrating.

lack of gain isn't a problem normally associated with these. Some of the patches are insane amounts of gain and you can boost it further w\a pedal in a block in front of the amp.

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong - by gain, do you mean like your overall output levels are low? Or are we talking gain as in saturated overdrive?

jinch0":vjnkrkkt said:
BrokenFusion":vjnkrkkt said:

iWKad22r.jpg

You're not tweaking it right. I have a Mesa Mark IV and an AX8 and can get them to sound close IMHO. That's comparing the IV under a mic into a DAW and the AX8 through my my monitors.

danyeo":1lc2nox7 said:
You're not tweaking it right. I have a Mesa Mark IV and an AX8 and can get them to sound close IMHO. That's comparing the IV under a mic into a DAW and the AX8 through my my monitors.

This.

Read the manual a few times.

You're using a guitar cab and power amp? If so did you disable the cab sim on the AX8?

No offense but the AX8 sounds great so you're doing something wrong. Unless the unit is defective which I doubt but you never know.

It's not going to sound like a tube amp in the room. It is supposed to sound like a Miked cab FOH type of thing.

Download some free presets from the Axe exchange. Tweak and try recording direct. Sounds amazing.

I sure wouldn't give up on it, I've gotten some of the best recorded tones I've ever had out of it. Not to mention 4cm into an amp.

Yep, I'm wanting an AX8 these days too. Even though I've never been much of a fan of modelers, Fractal's stuff is so good these days (and I don't always have time for a full sit-down with a tube amp) that I'm going invest in a modeler to keep around.

I really dig mine. I have to say that I play with the Dirty Shirley model more than anything. I just dig it.

I am running a crazy rig with the AX8 but I am weird. I am controlling via midi with the voodoo lab ground control and a gcx. I am also using a bunch of effects running in the loops of the ax8 and through the gcx. I am powering it with a Rocktron Velocity 300 with either my Rectifier 2x12 or the Orange PPC212 depending on if I want to run mono or stereo.

i'n gonna buy one of these
wondering if i can mod my 5150 3 50 watt to use as a power amp only
if not i have a few solid state power power amps
[mosvale,halfer]

controlled_voltage":1rl2m13j said:
i'n gonna buy one of these
wondering if i can mod my 5150 3 50 watt to use as a power amp only
if not i have a few solid state power power amps
[mosvale,halfer]

No mods needed. Just plug the AX8 out into your amps FX return. And shut off the cab sims in the AX8. I do this sometimes with my Mesa Mark IV. It sounds ok with some amps sims and not so ok with others.

Back