New caps....Synergy vs Mallory??

SLOgriff

What's the tonal difference and why the change to the newer BE100's? Also, how is the VOICE switch different on the updated ones?

I'm curious about this too. Dave has my Dirty Shirley right now and I'm debating about having him drop the new Synergy Mustard caps in while it's there. I'm not sure if they're just hype or if it would be a noticeable improvement.

Interesting. Because when I had the 2016 update done to my 2015 BE100, the voice switch was much more noticeable between left and right settings. Sounds like you have a 2015 circuit with an S switch.

I'm pretty certain the difference is very negligible but I would like to hear Dave's opinion on this also.

They sound richer and deeper in tone. More solid in the mids with less extream highs and lows. We also change the negative feedback loop and voice switch with the 2016 update. The voice goes darker in one direction in the new version.

RACKSYSTEMS":1rlcwjux said:
They sound richer and deeper in tone. More solid in the mids with less extream highs and lows. We also change the negative feedback loop and voice switch with the 2016 update. The voice goes darker in one direction in the new version.

Hey Dave, How does the Voice switch change on left side.. Is update darker in left or right position? Cause I use the left mainly and would hate to hear it darker than it is now on my soon to be updated 2014.

I can definitely say that on my 2015 BE100 modifications (Synergy Capacitors/Gain Structure/Clean Channel conversion to SS100) made a awesome difference. The Gain Distortion is more powerful sounding, live playing sounds full range, harmonically rich and the "Gain-Structure" have different levels of distortion Middle=lowest/Left=next level up/Right=highest amount (BE-mode) doesn't sound "Dark" but versatile in the studio! I've played in the lowest setting Middle for blues and sounds great to the highest (right position) sounds killer, "Warm wide & focused" responds great to the players style, smooth to aggressive and then there's the "Voice" if you want more Cut (another great tone restructure) also all the great tone shaping from the rear switches, and HBE-mode.

MantraSky":2cif3j5p said:
I can definitely say that on my 2015 BE100 modifications (Synergy Capacitors/Gain Structure/Clean Channel conversion to SS100) made a awesome difference. The Gain Distortion is more powerful sounding, live playing sounds full range, harmonically rich and the "Gain-Structure" have different levels of distortion Middle=lowest/Left=next level up/Right=highest amount (BE-mode) doesn't sound "Dark" but versatile in the studio! I've played in the lowest setting Middle for blues and sounds great to the highest (right position) sounds killer, "Warm wide & focused" responds great to the players style, smooth to aggressive and then there's the "Voice" if you want more Cut (another great tone restructure) also all the great tone shaping from the rear switches, and HBE-mode.

The Friedman BE100 mods and specs amp rundown right there son.

Anyway I'm sure we'll never know for certain about the tone difference of the Mallory & Sozo caps, but I trust Daves explanations on them. No all I have to do is call Dave and see when is a good time to ship my amp for some updates!!! Can't wait, have high hopes for another mod for my personal taste.

Back