Anybody running Torpedo Live with FX after the unit?

lordriffenstein

I've been happily running the Torpedo Live for several years now. I'm running a TC GForce in the loop of my amp and the amp into the Torpedo Live. After some discussion with our FOH engineer, I'm considering making some changes.

I will run the amp into the Torpedo, take the Torpedo line out into a mixer (prob Samson SM10). From the mixer I will send a feed into the GForce and run stereo out of the GForce into the mixer (parallel FX). Then send the stereo out (dry + FX) of the mixer to FOH.

Wondering if anybody is doing this. It's basically a studio-type setup where you apply your FX post-cab/mic. It will probably require some changes to my FX etc but that should not be an issue.

That is typically what we always recommend to do.

In our demo studio, we have all the FX pedals in auxiliary, one mono aux and 2 stereo. That's the best way to do IMHO, unless you reaaaally want that "delay sent into the power amp" flavour OR if you need to have the wet signal on your cabinet on stage.

I am running TC G-Major 2 after Torpedo Live, it makes life a lot easier and you get the studio kind of setup. It's connected via MIDI to Live, as I have some different cab and mic setups for cleans and gain, some volume boosts on solos etc...

And having stereo effects, especially Reverb in headphones or home monitors is taking the Torpedo sound to another dimension. For playing gigs, I have mono patches set up.

Something I came up with now...would I gain anything by connecting G Major 2 and Live with SPDIF? Never done that before.

TTerror, you are not running a mixer, just straight from Torpedo to GM2?
At what stage are you boosting the volume for solo boost?

Using SPDIF, there would be 1 less AD/DA conversion, not sure how much difference in sound there will be.

No mixer involved, I have them in rack case , Torpedo, G Major and Power Conditioner.

I boost volume on G Major, thought that would be reasonable since it's last in the chain. I have some different IR's for certain sounds, especially clean has different EQ on Torpedo. I run Marshall 1987x and there is no clean channel of course, so when I roll off the volume pot on guitar I get the clean but it needs some EQ magic to stand out.

So with MIDI it's more convenient to run them together, having presets that include effects, different IR's, EQ's ...

Use to do this before with pedals after torpedo, no problem there either, TC Hall of Fame worked like a charm.

Just remembered that SPDIF has 2 channels from Live, one with cab sims and other dry...that would not sound good on PA or Headphones :)

Sure, Axe FX with various Tube Preamp's and T_CAB in the Axe's FX Loop, or, Axe FX with T_CAB in the Axe's FX Loop (yes, the T_CAB improves the Axe Ultra's amp modeling a lot!).

lordriffenstein":wkgpe5gz said:
I've been happily running the Torpedo Live for several years now. I'm running a TC GForce in the loop of my amp and the amp into the Torpedo Live. After some discussion with our FOH engineer, I'm considering making some changes.

I will run the amp into the Torpedo, take the Torpedo line out into a mixer (prob Samson SM10). From the mixer I will send a feed into the GForce and run stereo out of the GForce into the mixer (parallel FX). Then send the stereo out (dry + FX) of the mixer to FOH.

Wondering if anybody is doing this. It's basically a studio-type setup where you apply your FX post-cab/mic. It will probably require some changes to my FX etc but that should not be an issue.

I think that it really depends on the quality of your amps FX loop as well.

I tried using my Torpedo Studio and Mesa Boogie MarkV25 amp and I used my AxeFX Ultra (for effects) exactly the way your sound engineer suggested, but the effects signal sounded kind of distant and dull and I really had to crank the input and output signal levels on the AxeFX.

The MarkV25 has a very good effects loop and when using my inexpensive TCE HOF Reverb and Flashback Delay pedals in the amp's effects loop, it sounds much better to me and the quality of the effects are very crisp and pristine. Could be my mixer I guess, but it's a pretty good Mackie model.

Just my experience to pass along.

Back