Herbert or VH4, how to choose?

shadow070":1jpl7olx said:
I have the Herbert and love it to death.
When listening to the clips Peter made, i would def. choose the VH4. It sounds so much better, the growl on ch3 is amazing.

Years back i got to try the VH4, i didnt like it, really didnt like it at all. I bought the Herbert blind and loved it. I loved the Herbert so much i sold all my other amps.

If posible i would love to have a VH4 to company the Herbert, hearing Peters clip makes me want one now.

So if posible, please try both.

I live in Holland. Till a vew years ago i could not find any shop offering Diezel. There was this Engl hype going on and i got the Engl SE. But before getting the SE i tested out a lot of amps.
The vh4 being one of them. It was very dry and compressed. (it could be bad tubes, now i know much more).

I didnt like the SE....period.

I gassed for the Herbert. Andy wood sold me on it and ofcourse wicked clips on the Diezel website.

As soon as i got the Herbert i was happy. Finally a amp i was happy with. Insted of playing with the eq or pushing buttons i could actually spend time playing guitar.

Ch. 1:
I love playing clean so this was simply amazing. A tube amp (high gain) having such a shimmering and sparkling clean channel made me smile since then. Jazz comping, funk, tapping style guitar, this channel delivers what i need.

Ch2:
Fast attack, responsive and heavy. My riffs sounded earth shaking.
My leads where singing and notes lasted so long.

Ch3:
I had note defenition no matter where i had the gain. This channel has to much gain, so i have the gain set at 25/35%, this gives me a beautifull lead tone. Perfect if i want a faster and more clearer lead sound compared to the looser channel 2.

Ch2/CH3 with mid-cut:
using a low intensity gives me a looser feel. This is how i love my gain channel to be and use this always.
Intensity is set to 25/30%
Level is set to 50%
I love the depth and looseness (cant discribe it better) this setting gives. This amp is really tight and this balances it for me.

Why i never switched to a other amp since then:
The response is what i love, its so direct. as soon as you hit something you will hear it!
this makes the amp unforgiving but it made me a better and cleaner guitar player.
This is what they meant with its percussive. With the Engl i would rarely hear a mistake, with the hebert... you will know!
CH2 i use the most when i need gain. Hard rock and metal riffs, i dont bother anymore, i wouldnt want it any other way. The fatness, the grind, the fluidnes is perfect.
I switch to channel 3 if i play something and whant more note defenition. When playing lets say legato lines, ch 3 makes this so simple. Alle notes ring out very clear and defined.

the last few weeks ive been switching between ch2 and ch3. Doing fusion style licks with a bit less gain. Some days i prefer the one over the other, but for riffs i will always use ch2.

In the end both vh4 or herbert will do fine. My ch2 gain is always around 12 o clock. The vh4 would fill me needs to. With just 1 clean channel and 1 gain channel i would be as happy. Would i love ch3 of the vh4 today? i dont know but i love what i hear when hearing clips now.

Also maybe worth to mention, i play 7 and 8 string guitar. The Herbert handles the low frequenties perfectly.

Sorry for al the rambling and hope it is of some use.

Good luck and have fun getting your new amp,
Robert

Thanks Robert !

Back