Ordered a vh4 today

Hey, VH4 has arrived!
The power transformer hums a bit louder than my Fokker's (dead quiet), but I guess that is ok.

I have to say VH4 channel 3 sounds different from Lil Fokker's gain channel when everything is dialed to noon. It's darker and bassier, different high mids also.
If you turn down presence on the Fokker, they start sounding similar, but still not quite the same.

I had a few doubts about spending so much money on an amp that could be similar to what I have, but I must to say I'm glad I bought it.
VH4 rocks and both amps have a unique sound. :rock:

Vin Diezel":3fit7dor said:
Hey, VH4 has arrived!
The power transformer hums a bit louder than my Fokker's (dead quiet), but I guess that is ok.

I have to say VH4 channel 3 sounds different from Lil Fokker's gain channel when everything is dialed to noon. It's darker and bassier, different high mids also.
If you turn down presence on the Fokker, they start sounding similar, but still not quite the same.

I had a few doubts about spending so much money on an amp that could be similar to what I have, but I must to say I'm glad I bought it.
VH4 rocks and both amps have a unique sound. :rock:

Congrats!

The PT hum is normal in my experience. Also if it is a brand-new amp, give the PT and power capacitors a chance to break-in and charge. It's one of the nuances to the VH4. Leave it plugged in on standby for 20 minutes before turning it on.

I like to turn the master presence up to around 2-3:00 and keep the deep at 12:00 or lower. Also don't be afraid to turn up the channel masters on channels 3/4 to around 1-2:00. This will liven up the tone... and bring it to life.

:rock:

It's really a nice amp. 4 good channels that transition nicely into each other. Fun to play.
Still gotta get a midi board because I am a traditionally a 1 channel player with a Volume Pedal. ;)

I'll record the next song with it, then you can hear what I sound like through it...

Wizard of Ozz":du7nwtvq said:
Vin Diezel":du7nwtvq said:
Hey, VH4 has arrived!

I like to turn the master presence up to around 2-3:00 and keep the deep at 12:00 or lower. Also don't be afraid to turn up the channel masters on channels 3/4 to around 1-2:00. This will liven up the tone... and bring it to life.

:rock:

Basically the same I would propose, having this amp now 2 years, I am still learning it. Basically sounds great whatever you do, but very versatile.

After a long run on try and error, recording and comparison especially about MV up Channel Down and vice versa I definitely prefer Channel Volume up. The MV is great from my experience, so don´t be afraid to run the Amp MV down, it will still sound great.

and, btw, I tried 3 different Power Attenuators on it, all crap as far as I may judge, just sounds better with MV around 7:30-9:00

regards

I don't understand why some people do not like the VH4. It's a real rocker.
But Fokker is by no means inferior amp.
For those who are still in doubt what to get:
VH4 seems to have more 1k and 2k, more marshall-like mids and cut. I guess the rawest mids in a Diezel. Especially with the bright switch on using the second channel: think ACDC or Message in a Bottle.
Fokker sounds softer and more polished with reduced 2k and a bit more 4k sizzle. Also very smooth, pristine cleans and crunch on the first channel. Never harsh on the ears but probably not cutting as well in a rehearsal situation.

I had the most fun with CH2 at about 3 o clock and an overdrive pedal. It had plenty enough gain & amazing clarity through the strings. CH3 is superb obviously, but I liked CH2 voicing more & more, the more I used it.

Sound comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/user-807280440/vh4-vs-fokker

If you don't hear which is which, never mind! :LOL: :LOL:

Settings are identical, Fokker seems to have a bit more gain in the clip.

It's obvious that using a different cab or speakers would make more of a difference than using the gain channel of one amp or the other, imho.

People who affirmed that Fokker sounds more like a Marshall should get their hearing checked. ;)

Congratulations on acquiring one of the most iconic and amazing amps ever created :clap: :salute:

The VH4 is a professional amp - and does everything, professionally well. One of the best live and studio amps I've ever had the good fortune of playing and owning, several iterations thereof.

It really changes character when cranking the MVs, and using the channel volume to taper the signal - gets the powertubes hot and happy. Or, revert to the preamp stage, low MV, higher channel volumes, for more squish and a forgiving feel. Channel inserts and the MIDI are tits, totally top drawer spec on this amp, so well done.

What cabinet are you driving with it??
Stoked for ya man, congratz!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

Congrats on the amp bro! I've had a Herbert and VH4 and ended with the fokker being my favorite. I LOVE the way that amp sounds and feels ( to be fair all diezel's are amazing to play and listen to ) Congrats on the amp again!

Thank you, guys.
I used an older Diezel V30 212FL cab on all the recordings.
Fokker is a very good amp as well, just less features. I use mine all the time.
Why did you mod yours?

Vin Diezel":ip7wgf2u said:

After hearing/reading nothing but great things about the 5153 for years, I joined the party and found I really did not like it. Despite trying both the 50w and 100w it wasn't for me. Tastes vary my man.

That said, I'd love to try a VH4 someday :thumbsup:

I understand that. I have a 6505 and it's a fine amp. It only does one sound and if you do not like that weird sound, you're out.

Vin Diezel":j13s4fvb said:
I understand that. I have a 6505 and it's a fine amp. It only does one sound and if you do not like that weird sound, you're out.
MetalHeadMike":j13s4fvb said:
Vin Diezel":j13s4fvb said:

After hearing/reading nothing but great things about the 5153 for years, I joined the party and found I really did not like it. Despite trying both the 50w and 100w it wasn't for me. Tastes vary my man.

That said, I'd love to try a VH4 someday :thumbsup:
No disrespect to anything Peavey or EVH or the like, but comparing a Diezel to a 5153 or 6505 is like comparing a Corvette to a Lamborghini. They're both fast cars... They have different mojo to them.

Significantly different mojo.

Back