VH4 User Tip: Crank Up the Global MV!!!

Wizard of Ozz

If you haven't tried it yet...

Try upping the global MV to around 12:00 or what your volume capacity allows...

Then adjust the overall volume with the 4 individual channel volumes to taste. Really opens up the amp... and lets it roar. Like kicking the Lambo in to 7th gear... hold on and stand back.

... or to put it another way, set the global MV a few notches higher than your channel volumes.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'll try it. I am always sceptical about such findings because Diezel amps are designed in way that such things have only minor importance.

Been running mine just like that for a while ( fokker ), makes a nice improvement! Good tip for everyone who owns a diezel.

I tested it and there seems to bit a very slight difference.
If the Master is extremely low and channel Volume high, the sound is a little bit softer.

Vin Diezel":2602xa6y said:
I tested it and there seems to bit a very slight difference.
If the Master is extremely low and channel Volume high, the sound is a little bit softer.

Turn it up louder then. :yes: :yes: :yes:

It really opened things up for me. I've noticed this same trick with other amps with global masters... just not the VH4.

It's not as noticeable with the Herbert... probably due to the large power section.

Wizard of Ozz":2bvp0r0k said:
If you haven't tried it yet...

Try upping the global MV to around 12:00 or what your volume capacity allows...

Then adjust the overall volume with the 4 individual channel volumes to taste. Really opens up the amp... and lets it roar. Like kicking the Lambo in to 7th gear... hold on and stand back.

... or to put it another way, set the global MV a few notches higher than your channel volumes.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

+1000 :thumbsup:

I recently took delivery of a new VH4, and one of the first things I did when I had a chance to crank her up was to test this very thing: Channel vol high / Global master low, and vice /versa.
Global master as high as possible, and working with the channel vols is clearly the best tone to my ears.
Also, this is my first Diezel amp, and all I can say is:
HOLY CRAP!!! this amp is AMAZE-BALLS.
I've never heard anything like this! :shocked:
Total, diabolical, crushing, sonic annihilation. :worship:
My neighbours hate me now :LOL: :LOL:

I went ahead and followed your advice and got the EWS subtle volume control and put it in my effects loop, cranked the MV to 10, put the CV at 11- sounds way better. It brings out more ferociousness. My VH4 tone sounds like the thunderous cries of a mythical beast. This is in a 2x12 FL Diezel cab; I can only imagine how it would sound in a 4x12!

Although I was the one who recommended putting a volume pot into the loop, I did not want to insinuate that this improves the tone. It's just easier to dial in low volumes with a bigger knob.
All the esotericism is good fun, but I'd really like to hear a recording where one can hear those beneficial effects of a high master versus a low one. ;)
I recorded a few tracks and I could not hear much of a difference on the gain channels even if I wanted.

Vin Diezel":upr9gum4 said:
Although I was the one who recommended putting a volume pot into the loop, I did not want to insinuate that this improves the tone. It's just easier to dial in low volumes with a bigger knob.
All the esotericism is good fun, but I'd really like to hear a recording where one can hear those beneficial effects of a high master versus a low one. ;)
I recorded a few tracks and I could not hear much of a difference on the gain channels even if I wanted.

Maybe kicking an old post into life here, but isn't the VH4 designed like when you push the power section beyond 12/13 o'clock the power section start to gain?
That has a massive difference to my ears and fingers when compared to pre-amp gain =)

latest

All the Diezel sound better that way, at least the five I have owned. ??

Metal amps are primarily preamp distortion.

I only do things the other way to fatten up low volume bedroom tones. My master is always berween 10 am to noon.

Back