Just got a DMoll and already not happy tonewise

Fitrocker33

Banned
Ok I’m going to be patient about this and explain what I’m experiencing with the hopes that maybe I’m overlooking something:

Here is the signal chain:

ESP Horizon III with SD Nazgul/sentient pickups
Horizon devices precision drive boost
Diezel
Mesa stiletto 4x12 w V30s

Ok, I just spent close to an hour tweaking the knobs on the amp. The clean channel is quite good no issues there. But ch2 and ch3 aren’t even remotely tight even with the boost engaged.

I tried sweeping the gain lower and higher, engaging and disengaging the mid cut and started the EQ at all 6s as a starting point and tried a wide range of tweaks. I put the deep at 0 even.

What I’m hearing is a very fuzzy, loose high gain sound and palm mutes aren’t tracking fast at all for the most part.

The amp isn’t exhibiting any preamp tube failure noises so to speak so I’m not sure it’s a crappy preamp tube.

Any of you guys who have or had the D-Moll, please chime in with your advice. I’ve got 30 days to like this or exchange it for something else but I want to like it! Lol.

Thank you in advance

I also found dmoll too fuzzy and loose on channel 3. I like channel 2 but preferred other diezels to dmoll.

First diezel?

What boost? The amp has no boost.

Yea it’s my first diezel. I was going back and forth between this and the Bogner twin jet. I have no way of trying either amp in person before I buy it so I took a chance!

The boost I’m referring to is my precision drive pedal.

Yup, I got a Herbert mkII for that reason.
I had (2) twin jets originally. Wanted to try a Diezel, got a good deal on dmoll. I found some great boosted tones with a Fortin Grind with the dmoll FYI.
Then I got a Butterslax and sold the Bogners.
Then I got to a/b my dmoll with a new Herbert mkII. Went home with the Herbert that day, traded in the dmoll for what I paid. But honestly, Herbert is prob what you want out of a Diezel. It’s mind blowing.
You will hear it from many, Herbert is the king of metal.

Also, Mesa v30’s and Mesa cabs are darker.
I usually stick with matching cabs. The Diezel cabs are in a world of their own. Front loaded and Diezel go hand in hand.

hmmm... honestly I couldn't describe the D-Moll as fuzzy... I have one, and yes it's not quite as tight as the VH4 or Hagen... but it's definitely not fuzzy. Orange's are fuzzy... the D-Moll is not.

What tuning are you playing in? How high are your pickups?

I ran both of my guitars through it and the results only changed slightly.

The ESP is in drop C and my other guitar, a JP15 7 string is in standard tuning.

If I exchange this amp it’s more than likely going to be for a Bogner twinjet, but once again, I’ve never played one and I don’t know if I will definitely like that one either.

The Herbert and butterslax are a few hundred dollars beyond my threshold for a purchase so it’s not gonna happen.

If you're not happy I say take it back and get your money back if you can, and save up a bit more and get a VH4 or Hagen. If not those, then a Peavey 5150 and a tubescreamer, or maybe their new Invective amp.

Agreed, a Fortin Grind into DMoll is awesome. I also use an 808x. My MXR cbaod also sounds good too, so I'm not sure why the precision wouldn't do something similar when set as a clean boost to tighten things up.

Try something like this on ch2/3(in oclocks:)
Gain 11
Treble 1-3
Mid 3- max
Bass 12
Presence 10-11
Depth 11

Mid Cut Intensity 9 or OFF

DMoll does have some fuzz, but if you have JJ77s in there, an OD clean boost, something in the ballpark of the settings above, and you're playing at a decent volume, that should be TIGHT for most stuff- I play down to drop G at times and it's wonderfully certainly tight but full at dropC. If not tight enough, it's either malfunctioning (tubes?) or you may need a Fortin amp of some sort....or Fortin Grind. That Grind turns anything into a TIGHT machine

Fitrocker33":1g3kastx said:
Ok I’m going to be patient about this and explain what I’m experiencing with the hopes that maybe I’m overlooking something:

Here is the signal chain:

ESP Horizon III with SD Nazgul/sentient pickups
Horizon devices precision drive boost
Diezel
Mesa stiletto 4x12 w V30s

Ok, I just spent close to an hour tweaking the knobs on the amp. The clean channel is quite good no issues there. But ch2 and ch3 aren’t even remotely tight even with the boost engaged.

I tried sweeping the gain lower and higher, engaging and disengaging the mid cut and started the EQ at all 6s as a starting point and tried a wide range of tweaks. I put the deep at 0 even.

What I’m hearing is a very fuzzy, loose high gain sound and palm mutes aren’t tracking fast at all for the most part.

The amp isn’t exhibiting any preamp tube failure noises so to speak so I’m not sure it’s a crappy preamp tube.

Any of you guys who have or had the D-Moll, please chime in with your advice. I’ve got 30 days to like this or exchange it for something else but I want to like it! Lol.

Thank you in advance

What is the serial number of the amp ?
Thanks,
Peter

Sorry but there is no reason the amp should not be tight or fizzy sounding.

What tube is in V1 ? 12AX7B or CV4004 ?

Where are you located ?

Thanks,
Peter

Already returned it. I simply could not find a single setting I felt sounded good (to me) at all even with a boost pedal.

I can’t afford to hold onto a 3000 dollar amp if I don’t like it from day one. Unfortunately the Herbert and VH4 are well out of my price range ( and credit limit! Lmao)

Fitrocker33":3x9bx2u2 said:
Already returned it. I simply could not find a single setting I felt sounded good (to me) at all even with a boost pedal.

I can’t afford to hold onto a 3000 dollar amp if I don’t like it from day one. Unfortunately the Herbert and VH4 are well out of my price range ( and credit limit! Lmao)

I'd advise at looking at something like an Engl Powerball 2. Might be better price wise, and will have an infinitely tighter low end.

I'm a die-hard lifetime Diezel fan... but they are not for everyone in every situation.

Fitrocker33":dj2r798k said:

It might've had tube issues. I have no problem getting a nice tight tone from any of the Diezel amps, even without a boost.

Wizard of Ozz":owyac9iu said:
Fitrocker33":owyac9iu said:

I'd advise at looking at something like an Engl Powerball 2. Might be better price wise, and will have an infinitely tighter low end.

I'm a die-hard lifetime Diezel fan... but they are not for everyone in every situation.

I actually had a Powerball 2 that I loved. Traded it towards a Kemper PowerRack almost a year ago and then decided I wanted back into the tube amp game.

Picked up a 5150III yesterday to satisfy that sweet tooth while I save some more. Going to research either a Friedman runt 50 or a Bogner shiva 20th anniv. For some Marshall like tones.

dag, my DMoll gets tight tight tight with a clean OD boost. I'm guessing something was wrong and I blame GC, lol. Good luck on your gear quest

Back