Herbert doesn't like my volume pedal

Amberience":1wiyjq5h said:
Try putting your Boss tuner in the effects loop but *BEFORE* the volume box you've got. This will tell you if an additional buffer will help or not.

I have to say though, I'm incredibly skeptical that these in-line volume "attenuators" do anything more than making your gain staging more difficult.

Thank you for your input. How would I tell if an additional buffer would help by plugging by boss tuner before the volume pot?

The attenuator seems to work good with my VH4, but I don't know what's up with the Herbert. I'm going to try to change pots in my second EWS to see if it helps. I'm wondering if I need a lower impedance or a higher impedance.

I tried using a boss TU-3 before the volume pedal in the loop (with the regular output, not bypass) and no luck. I also tried using the volume control on my Boss EQ, and same result.

Maybe a more systematic approach would help. ;) Stop putting in pedals and buffers.
http://www.diezel.co.uk/Herbert_English.pdf
RTFM

Get rid of everything in the three loops. Then put the EWS in the serial loop. Alone. Make sure it is plugged "send to input", "output to return".
I do not know Herbert, but a 25kOhm pot in the serial loop should not possibly be the problem.
If it is really not a user error, I would ask Peter why a volume pot with 25kOhms does not work in Herbert's loop. It's weird.

Have you tried it?
Does the ews work in Herbert's loop when used alone?
It is a fact that not all effects pedals can be used in any effects loop because some cannot deal with the higher signal level. Most of them are built to be used before the amp.
BUT:
I am convinced that a 25k volume pedal can be used in this loop because Peter and also other customers would have noticed long before if it was a problem.

Vin Diezel":2lka7lhl said:
Have you tried it?
Does the ews work in Herbert's loop when used alone?
It is a fact that not all effects pedals can be used in any effects loop because some cannot deal with the higher signal level. Most of them are built to be used before the amp.
BUT:
I am convinced that a 25k volume pedal can be used in this loop because Peter and also other customers would have noticed long before if it was a problem.

Yup, it was one of the first things I tried while troubleshooting. I appreciate the input though.

Vin Diezel":2axsdn98 said:
So the volume pedal works in the loop, does it?

Nope, not for my Herbert, just the VH4. On my Herbert, once dial down the volume down with the pedal the tone gets sucked try. All that comes through is the uppermost frequencies- sounds very static, fizzy, and harsh. So I try to turn the volume up and it just blasts through super loud, with the same aforementioned tone.

I had a similar issue with different 25k volume pedals in the serial loop of both my Herbert and Hagen. In the VH4 it worked perfectly. I wanted to use the volume pedal for swell effects but when the pedal was completely down (off) I still get some bleed through/filtered signal from the amp.

MourningEngine":1htivedu said:
I had a similar issue with different 25k volume pedals in the serial loop of both my Herbert and Hagen. In the VH4 it worked perfectly. I wanted to use the volume pedal for swell effects but when the pedal was completely down (off) I still get some bleed through/filtered signal from the amp.

Wow, thanks for your input. This definitely helps nail down the issue. Perhaps some Diezel techs could chime in here?

Back