VH4 second master volume 3.2.4. In owner manual

Jamesdubinjr

Good Day,

There’s been several skeptics and conspiracy theories pertaining to the second master volume feature on the VH4 by using a cable from the send 2 to parallel loop return.
Does this feature stress the amplifier in any way?

Is its intended purpose to function like an attenuator such that you can have good tone at lower volumes?

Will using this second master volume feature void the warranty of the VH4 head or prematurely burn out any tubes or components?

What is a typical scenario of using this second master volume feature?
I’m going to post this on rig talk also. People seem to be concerned that by using this 2nd master volume feature, great risks to severely damaging the amplifier are at stake.

Sounds strange to me, from my understanding by using the parallel loop you just put in a second "sound source" and mix it to the main sound. In the case with cable directly plugged without any effect it is basically the same signal that get a second way to the master and you control this signal with the parallel loop control.. so you cannot use this to lower the volume of your amps, second master volume will give you the chance to "boost" outcome of your amp (e.g. for solo).

At least thats my experience.

The amp sounds great even at low level, just more difficult to dial in, in case you want to have lower volumes with channel and master volume up you may try the "ews subtle volume control", works very well in the serial loop of a VH4.

3.2.4 Loop as Second Master Volume
Those of you who can live without processors in the parallel loop can use this loop for a
second master volume for each channel.
To do this, just loop a short 1/4” cable from send 2 to parallel loop return. Now you can
choose a second master volume by turning the mix control past 1:00 PM to full open, and
push the send 2 button to activate your second master volume. To do this for the VH4S,
you must use a Y-cable and send the signal from send 2 to parallel return A and B.

This is a quote from the official manual by Diezel. Of course, this does NOT damage the amplifier!

The typical use case is when you feel the need to use a second master volume.

And no, it is no attenuator. It makes the amp go 1 louder! 11! Can you believe this?

Back