KSR Juno

technomancer":149dwpz9 said:
JerEvil":149dwpz9 said:
Intronaut":149dwpz9 said:
awesome. How does it compare to the slax?
Very different IMHO. Hasn’t gotten to crank it yet but all 3 gain modes (Clip, Crunch and Lead) are phenomenal. The amp overall seems pretty tight and aggressive but absolutely brings the rock. All the controls like the Bright and Feel knobs all actually make noticeable differences.

I'm actually curious, have you played an Ares? My Ares had this grainy quality to the gain that I had a love/hate relationship with and I'm curious if the Juno has the same thing.

Curious if you've run it with any eq in the loop? Every amp I've owned has had a grainy/fizzy quality to the tone on there own. I suck out the 8 and 16 KHz sliders on an MXR 10 band and its makes the world of difference; for me anyway :dunno:

My god I :inlove: my Ares.

technomancer":3grw9vyr said:
JerEvil":3grw9vyr said:
Intronaut":3grw9vyr said:
Very different IMHO. Hasn’t gotten to crank it yet but all 3 gain modes (Clip, Crunch and Lead) are phenomenal. The amp overall seems pretty tight and aggressive but absolutely brings the rock. All the controls like the Bright and Feel knobs all actually make noticeable differences.

I'm actually curious, have you played an Ares? My Ares had this grainy quality to the gain that I had a love/hate relationship with and I'm curious if the Juno has the same thing.

I hear the graininess too in clips go the Artemis/Gemini and Colossus. It's the one thing that's keeping me from going headlong in to KSR zealotry as the other attributes of Kyle's stuff are outstanding. I'm hoping the Juno may be smoother or that the graininess can be dealt with on the Artemis.

^^^ No offense and I'm not trying to come off sounding like a douche, but don't judge an amp from clips. Clips are fun and all, but they're usually not anywhere near what your actually gonna hear sitting in front of the amp.

MetalHeadMike":9ga8hqe3 said:
technomancer":9ga8hqe3 said:
JerEvil":9ga8hqe3 said:
Intronaut":9ga8hqe3 said:

Curious if you've run it with any eq in the loop? Every amp I've owned has had a grainy/fizzy quality to the tone on there own. I suck out the 8 and 16 KHz sliders on an MXR 10 band and its makes the world of difference; for me anyway :dunno:

I have multiple other amps and it was something that was unique to the Aries. Sometimes I absolutely loved it, but sometimes it just struck me as grainy and a bit on the harsh side. I know the Juno is a hotrodded version of the Orthos II (according to Kyle) which is essentially the Ares with a clean channel so I am curious about it. I have loved what I have heard of the Juno so far.

technomancer":2gr1xnyw said:
MetalHeadMike":2gr1xnyw said:
technomancer":2gr1xnyw said:
JerEvil":2gr1xnyw said:
Intronaut":2gr1xnyw said:

I have multiple other amps and it was something that was unique to the Aries. Sometimes I absolutely loved it, but sometimes it just struck me as grainy and a bit on the harsh side. I know the Juno is a hotrodded version of the Orthos II (according to Kyle) which is essentially the Ares with a clean channel so I am curious about it. I have loved what I have heard of the Juno so far.

I gotchya :thumbsup: Might just not be your thing. Have you tried playing with tubes?

I'm not sure what cocktail of preamp tubes are in my Ares, I don't think they're stock, and the power tubes are JJ 6L6 but I have always thought it sounded right to my ears. I do eventually plan on trying it with some EL34 and KT88s.

There's definitely a grainy character to the KSR gain. That's where the comparisons to Rectos/Soldanos come from, but I'm not sure about the Juno.

I've tried SED and Sino EL34 tubes as well as 6L6 Bstr and a few others in my Ares. I like the stock tubes the best followed by the SED EL34. I had an orthos but prefer the vocal voicing of the Ares. Be sure to buy direct.There are some shady people out there pawning off used ones as new. Shameless.

MYDEMISE":3j672ev5 said:
I've tried SED and Sino EL34 tubes as well as 6L6 Bstr and a few others in my Ares. I like the stock tubes the best followed by the SED EL34. I had an orthos but prefer the vocal voicing of the Ares. Be sure to buy direct.There are some shady people out there pawning off used ones as new. Shameless.

Good to know :thumbsup: Yeah I've never had any burning desire to swap power tubes as the 6L6 seem to sound great in there. The voicing is what's got me hooked on the Ares. The mids and gain structure are pretty unique IMO. Amazing little box :rock:

I have a Gemini but this amp has certainly got my attention, I have wanted a marshall style amp for a while and thanks to your clips I was interested in the Bottle Rocket, I will be interested in your opinion of the clipped mode on the Juno compared to the high gain sounds the Bottle Rocket. I can't wait for the clips.

Candiria":3tnivvu6 said:
There's definitely a grainy character to the KSR gain. That's where the comparisons to Rectos/Soldanos come from, but I'm not sure about the Juno.

What’s this grainy character you guys mention :dunno: :dunno:
I have a Gemini & yes while it’s agressively voiced, I find the gain smooth.

Too me VHT Ultralead’s have a graininess to them in the upper frequencies.
I love mine to death & think it’s part of the gain character.
Best example being Helmet’s Monochrome album.

However, not hearing it with the KSR line.
Most of the time running the Gemini thru M75 Scumbacks, so there is that variable.
But again same results concerning UL thru both Scums & P50’s.

Oh Jer, pleeeeease do some 80’s riffage thru the Juno in clipping mode.
It’s what I’m most looking forward to hearing in this amp.

philnz":2sugpe37 said:
Candiria":2sugpe37 said:

Most of the time running the Gemini thru M75 Scumbacks, so there is that variable.

I don't get that either. I've got an Ares and I don't hear any "graininess," just smooth, ripping gain. :confused:

philnz":2n00h2m3 said:
Candiria":2n00h2m3 said:

It could be the combo of the voicing and certain speakers like you said, V30s maybe, but to me the graininess is in the midrange not the high end. I agree the top end is smooth. The KSR voicing is pretty unique, to me it sounds like it has pieces for Mark, Recto, Soldano, Pittbull, Uber, and Diezel in it. Like there are certain things you can point to in it's tone and feel that remind you of those amps, certain amps more so than others.

Candiria":1e5seny8 said:
philnz":1e5seny8 said:
Candiria":1e5seny8 said:

It could be the combo of the voicing and certain speakers like you said, V30s maybe, but to me the graininess is in the midrange not the high end. I agree the top end is smooth. The KSR voicing is pretty unique, to me it sounds like it has pieces for Mark, Recto, Soldano, Pittbull, Uber, and Diezel in it. Like there are certain things you can point to in it's tone and feel that remind you of those amps, certain amps more so than others.

Fair call.

I had a friend ask me what the Gemini sounds like.
To me it’s like a Mark/Soldano mix.
Aggressively voiced without being harsh.

Being predominantly a Marshall guy, the Juno really has me interested in Kyle’s take in this direction.
Different transformers, circuit tweaks geared toward an EL34 based amp will add up.
Can only go from the clips available from NAMM etc.
To me it’s a little sonically austere, but not in a bad way.
Seems to have the KSR punch & aggression but with a more raw upper mid thing present.
Quite different to a thicker/chewier Cameron or Bogner.

I’m just spitballing, so take it all with a grain of salt.
Either way I’ve started saving for one (Juno) :yes:

chris lykins":1b5vdiap said:
Do you have a gemini coming as well?
Yeah I have a Gemini coming soon’ish. Being built now. This amp is just for demos... for now!

orion848":1b5vdiap said:
I have a Gemini but this amp has certainly got my attention, I have wanted a marshall style amp for a while and thanks to your clips I was interested in the Bottle Rocket, I will be interested in your opinion of the clipped mode on the Juno compared to the high gain sounds the Bottle Rocket. I can't wait for the clips.
Yeah I can maybe do some comparison clips dialing in the amps similarly.

Just placed my deposit for one. Kyle added a few more amps to the first run, and there a should be one spot left now.

Candiria":2ultp16g said:
Just placed my deposit for one. Kyle added a few more amps to the first run, and there a should be one spot left now.

Hos long wait were you told?

Back