Strap button screw

MrDowntown

My top horn strap button pulled out...well, the screw did. It's only about an inch at best...but...my guitar is heavy at about 9lbs., and the strap, while comfortable is thick, stiff leather. Over a short period of time the screw has stripped out the wood.

Couple of questions...
1. Does the toothpick method really hold up? Is it the best long term fix?

2. I'm thinking of getting a strap lock (Schaller I guess). Thinking the lock/button will let the guitar swing, rotate, etc without putting so much twist and torque on the screw & wood. I may be off with this thought.

Thoughts and recommendations welcomed.
Thanks.

Longer,thicker screw installed the correct way(as in drilling with the right sized bit)and a large washer is what i do. But thats old school permanent strap attachment.

If you use strap locks you may find that a thick strap will be a challenge to attach to. There may not be enough threads to get a good long bite on the strap itself. I have also found that the screw on strap locks to be wimpy. Not saying they dont work perfectly well,obviously they work fine for most players. But i learned up close from some abusers what really works for extreme situations.

If i'm never planning on removing the button again, I use wood glue along with the toothpick method. Once wood glue dries in there it's pretty permanent.

I would go to the hardware store and grab a few screws that are just a bit bigger width wise and use the closest to the original. You don't want to go too much bigger though.
Another option would be to start a new hole but then you have to fill the old one in..I've bought a couple used vintage guitars where someone did that. But when it's happened to me I've just pulled the old screw and tried to match it up with a slightly bigger width version at the hardware store.
Worked fine.

The hole is already too big for the proper screw size. Add wood and make the hole smaller. Don’t increase the hole size, you’ll only chase it over the years. I use the original screws with strap locks for all my L.P’s which weigh between 8.5 and 10lbs each.

Bloodrock":sgygkly3 said:
If i'm never planning on removing the button again, I use wood glue along with the toothpick method. Once wood glue dries in there it's pretty permanent.
This ^^ I’ve done this many, many times and it always works. Male sure you use glue though. Some guys like to just jam a bunch of toothpicks in there with no glue.

Yes, coat toothpicks in wood glue, cram them in the hole. Let dry 24 hours. Drill a small pilot hole, then screw your button back on.

I use the tooth pick method all the time with NO wood glue. But if you’re confident that you won’t be backing the screws out, then wood glue is a good idea for something as important as the straps. I definitely would hesitate to drill any existing wood out.

Toothpick Method without wood glue has worked for me too....I use Dimarzio Clip Lock Straps too. I used to use Schaller locks but switched about 1 year ago.

^ +1

The Dimarizo Clip locks are better at preventing this. The Schaller put too much leverage on the button.

My PRS has Schallers, and it is messing up the screwhole on the horn. I have Dimarzio cliplocks on my LP and it does not do this. Howerver the clip does rub the body, and it marring it up.

The best method IMO is to plug the hole with a dowel and wood glue.
Let it dry for a few hours, drill I small pilot hole and reinstall the screw.

MrDowntown":1zui3lhz said:
My top horn strap button pulled out...well, the screw did. It's only about an inch at best...but...my guitar is heavy at about 9lbs., and the strap, while comfortable is thick, stiff leather. Over a short period of time the screw has stripped out the wood.

Couple of questions...
1. Does the toothpick method really hold up? Is it the best long term fix?

2. I'm thinking of getting a strap lock (Schaller I guess). Thinking the lock/button will let the guitar swing, rotate, etc without putting so much twist and torque on the screw & wood. I may be off with this thought.

Thoughts and recommendations welcomed.
Thanks.

Toothpick method or bigger screw.

toothpick works fine if the screw will stay in but not get tight. if the whole screw came out, i would use some wood filler or a different thread form. If you are using Schaller strap locks, you are limited on the screw head size.

Thanks guys.
I fixed it...I guess. :LOL: :LOL: Its holding for now.

The screw would still bite but not get tight at all.

So I went with some toothpicks and gorilla glue. :thumbsup:

Heavy m'fer that it is. :D

Back