Duncan RTM

Exo-metal

Anyone use these and nothing else? I've used JB pu in almost every guitar except for maybe a stock Duncan distortion, considered a custom custom but gotta say the RTM sounds interesting.

hammered":nfe7rvgs said:
exo-metal":nfe7rvgs said:
Anyone use these and nothing else? I've used JB pu in almost every guitar except for maybe a stock Duncan distortion, considered a custom custom but gotta say the RTM sounds interesting.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=189217&p=2111593&hilit=rtm#p2111593

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101476&hilit=rtm

There`s also a few threads on it over at the Seymour Duncan forums . I`ve been tempted to try it but I`ve always just stuck with the regular ole JB

after reading both those threads I am confused as to how they sound :LOL: :LOL: ... proof right there that everyone hears things differently. :D

exo-metal":1kny1dkc said:

I would suggest if you have a few jb's take one and do the magnet swap to an A2..magnets are like under $10 and are really simple to change, then if you dig the sound maybe look at the RTM.

My understanding of them is they are wound a little hotter than a JB..but then I have own a lot of JB and some are hotter than others anyway so meh :LOL: :LOL:

Listen to the opening riff of Eat Me Up Alive off of the Ratt Infestation album, that’s what it sounds like. It’s more raw growly midrange, a little more soft on the top end and attack, than a jb. All qualities of the A2 magnet.

exo-metal":31ot9djk said:
After I read those threads I got lost after mention of a magnet swap????

Evidently the RTM is a JB pickup with an alnico 2 magnet.

So you can order an RTM and pay $160 or get a JB for $75 and an alnico 2 magnet for $3 and swap out the alnico 5 mag in about 15 minutes. Plus you don’t have to wait weeks for the RTM.

psychodave":oyogmoyv said:
exo-metal":oyogmoyv said:
After I read those threads I got lost after mention of a magnet swap????

Evidently the RTM is a JB pickup with an alnico 2 magnet.

So you can order an RTM and pay $160 or get a JB for $75 and an alnico 2 magnet for $3 and swap out the alnico 5 mag in about 15 minutes. Plus you don’t have to wait weeks for the RTM.

Yup I tried it and if you thought the JB is muddy sounding with a loose bottom end, the A2 just makes it worse in my opinion. I much prefer a roughcast A5 or UO5 magnet. Magnets are cheap though, buy a few and experiment...

I agree magnets are cheap but is an A2 magnet an A2 magnet? Just from my own experience swapping magnets, they can be VERY different even though they are both A2/A5 whatever. I have some A2 magnets that are noticeably stronger than some A5 I have. For example, the magnets in the Arcane pickups I had were mega-strong.

So yeah I agree you can go swap a magnet in a JB but imo it won't tell you anything about whether that sounds the same as an RTM.

Back