KSR Juno

So I just shot some vid with my Q8 of the Juno and BE100. Just camera audio. I’m checking it now... if the audio isn’t blown out I’ll load it up.

JerEvil":8f36317g said:
So I just shot some vid with my Q8 of the Juno and BE100. Just camera audio. I’m checking it now... if the audio isn’t blown out I’ll load it up.

Do itttttt

Candiria":2yy6tdsy said:
It could be the combo of the voicing and certain speakers like you said, V30s maybe, but to me the graininess is in the midrange not the high end. I agree the top end is smooth. The KSR voicing is pretty unique, to me it sounds like it has pieces for Mark, Recto, Soldano, Pittbull, Uber, and Diezel in it. Like there are certain things you can point to in it's tone and feel that remind you of those amps, certain amps more so than others.

I have several examples of all these amps side by side in front of me... and the KSR Gemini sounds nothing like a Diezel (Herbert/VH4) nor a Bogner Uberschall (Blue/TJ)... nor Fryette UL. It's definitely in the Mesa Recto/Soldano SLO camp. The Mesa Mark series amps (MKIII, MKIV, MKV, JP2C) all have more upper mids, smaller tighter sounding, and highend bite to the tone... the old MKIIB, MKIIC... maybe... but not exactly (the old Marks have way less gain and are muddier). The KSRs have the big-wall of Recto like surrounding tone.

The KSR voicing is a very smooth, low-mid, focused gain sound. You can tweak it with all the switches, and help brighten it a bit by chucking the worthless JJ preamp tubes... but that's the main core tone. Like a super-modified, tricked out Super-SLO with 5 gain stages... and heavy-duty ultra-modern depth mod added.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Wizard of Ozz":1d9tzzxz said:
Candiria":1d9tzzxz said:
It could be the combo of the voicing and certain speakers like you said, V30s maybe, but to me the graininess is in the midrange not the high end. I agree the top end is smooth. The KSR voicing is pretty unique, to me it sounds like it has pieces for Mark, Recto, Soldano, Pittbull, Uber, and Diezel in it. Like there are certain things you can point to in it's tone and feel that remind you of those amps, certain amps more so than others.

I have several examples of all these amps side by side in front of me... and the KSR Gemini sounds nothing like a Diezel (Herbert/VH4) nor a Bogner Uberschall (Blue/TJ)... nor Fryette UL. It's definitely in the Mesa Recto/Soldano SLO camp. The Mesa Mark series amps (MKIII, MKIV, MKV, JP2C) all have more upper mids, smaller tighter sounding, and highend bite to the tone... the old MKIIB, MKIIC... maybe... but not exactly (the old Marks have way less gain and are muddier). The KSRs have the big-wall of Recto like surrounding tone.

The KSR voicing is a very smooth, low-mid, focused gain sound. You can tweak it with all the switches, and help brighten it a bit by chucking the worthless JJ preamp tubes... but that's the main core tone. Like a super-modified, tricked out Super-SLO with 5 gain stages... and heavy-duty ultra-modern depth mod added.

I'm almost 100% sure I've seen you specifically say it reminds you a little of both a UL and Uber :LOL: :LOL:

Also, saying it falls into the Recto camp and calling it smooth doesn't make much sense to me, as I'm not sure anyone really thinks of Recto's being smooth. Mark's, yes, Recto's not so much. Rectos to me are grainy and I hear that in the Colossus. I've owned my Colossus for over 4 years now and have owned multiple Rectos, Pittbulls, Marks, a Herbert, Sig X, Avenger etc during that span. I listed like 5 separate amp makers that all have amps that sound different. Obviously it is not going to sound exactly like any one of them, and that's what I was getting at. Saying that it's like a Recto/SLO doesn't really describe it properly. Yea I can see where you're coming from because I agree there's some Recto in there (hence me saying grainy), but I've A/B'd the Colossus with a Recto and Avenger plenty of times and it is very easy to pick out the Rhodes in the back and forth, and that's before getting into the feel.

Candiria":1tb67n7j said:
Wizard of Ozz":1tb67n7j said:
Candiria":1tb67n7j said:

I'm almost 100% sure I've seen you specifically say it reminds you a little of both a UL and Uber :LOL: :LOL:

I know I've said it. On the lead channel in the blue mode with the bright on and fat/mid off, to me, it leans toward the UL, move it to the red channel and the fat switch engaged, it leans toward the Uberschall. They aren't exactly the same, but similar and feel "graininess" of the gain - enough so that I feel its an apt description. The KSR certainly isn't as dark as the Uber.

Watching Jer's video now. Sounding really good with "in-room" audio. Really looking forward to it with a mic. Jer, can you do some stuff with the Feel on 1 and Bright on in the modes please?

And Jer's shirt nearly steals the show. :D :thumbsup:

EvilBatman":16oit0xy said:
Watching Jer's video now. Sounding really good with "in-room" audio. Really looking forward to it with a mic. Jer, can you do some stuff with the Feel on 1 and Bright on in the modes please?

And Jer's shirt nearly steals the show. :D :thumbsup:
LOL! I was supposed to be on my way to work and was like, "Damn it! I NEED to get this thing loud!"

Yeah I am working that out now. Good news is I am off all next week from work so doing a lot of prep now and then recording soon. It will be WELL covered. The Juno is sick man. Really great sounding amp. This is the prototype so some things may get adjusted but I will go over it soup-to-nuts. Maybe one vid for each mode (Crunch/Clip/Lead) so it's not too long.

mhenson42":27c5435s said:
Candiria":27c5435s said:
Wizard of Ozz":27c5435s said:
Candiria":27c5435s said:

I know I've said it. On the lead channel in the blue mode with the bright on and fat/mid off, to me, it leans toward the UL, move it to the red channel and the fat switch engaged, it leans toward the Uberschall. They aren't exactly the same, but similar and feel "graininess" of the gain - enough so that I feel its an apt description. The KSR certainly isn't as dark as the Uber.

Yea, it's hard to describe because to me it doesn't really sound like any one amp. It has little things that you hear and feel in a variety of other high gain amps. I get the Recto comparison, specifically Vintage because it doesn't sound like Modern mode at all to me, but when I flip to the neck pickup and play higher up on the board there's 0 Recto in that sound.

JerEvil":3lk4rjxe said:
EvilBatman":3lk4rjxe said:
Maybe one vid for each mode (Crunch/Clip/Lead) so it's not too long.

Yea that's a good idea. Maybe another short video of a riff on a loop going through all the modes of the 2 channels 10-15 seconds per mode, so you can hear the gain level and character changes.

guys

one question. i noticed the juno footswitch is rather small with just 2 buttons.
Does it have enough control over the juno features?

I wonder if the loop has to be on always on all channels then. It's a 3 channel amp, with loop etc, so 2 buttons do not seem to be enough.
there's a number of switches in the back but i have not seen pics large enough to assess what those do.

let me know if you feel like you can use the FS effectively or if it's a problem for you.

The foot switch has 2 buttons -- one switches between Clean and Dirty. The other button selects the Dirty channels. So, you have control over the 3 channels with the 2 buttons.

The effects loop has 3 on/off switches on the back for assignment on each channel. You therefore can have it on or off for any or all of the 3 channels.

There's also an effects loop control input that defeats the assignment switches. This allows you to use another small FS to control it independently, or something like a MIDI contact closure. (we're planning an add-on box for our non-MIDI amps in the future).

Back