What’s your favourite guitar/pickup to use with a Diezel?

Funnily enough I had the Nailbomb in a bunch of guitars too! Think I just prefer the Distortions tighter low-end.

Yeah, I typically prefer alnico more than ceramic. In my case, the rounder highs and warmer mids are worth it. The Herbert doesn't have a problem keeping the low end more than tight enough for me.

Have you ever tried the ceramic Nailbomb? Just curious. I've got one that I'm getting ready to install in a Charvel. It's certainly tighter than the alnico Nailbomb and a little more cutting. Could just be me, but I think the Distortion still has more mids than the C-Bomb. It's been awhile since I had my C-Bomb installed, though, so I can't be sure.

Just checked my email receipts and it looks like I had the alnico, so not really sure on the ceramic Nailbomb. Maybe that's why I prefer the SH6 then! Be interested in trying to a ceramic Nailbomb as a comparison, but their prices have gone through the roof in recent years!

IDK, maybe... I think the Distortion has more mids inherently than the Nailbomb. I once tried putting an A5 in a Distortion. It was too mid-dy for me and lost some of its definition in both the highs and the lows. The standard ceramic sounded best to me in the Distortion. The A-Bomb is the pickup I'd hoped the A5-equipped Distortion would be. So, I'm thinking that it has slightly less mids by default. If I remember correctly, that's why I liked the A-Bomb better than the C-Bomb, but that was years ago and in a very different guitar.

Once I get my C-Bomb installed again, I'll let you know what I think, if you'd like. Should be in a couple of weeks.

Gibson Les Paul with Seymour Duncan - Saturday Night Specials. Best pickups I've ever tried and I've tried TONS of pickups during my +30 years as a session guitarist playing all styles from Smooth Jazz to Metal.

Mahogany body/neck - Dual humbucker route - BKP BlackHawks (Alnico) ... Going strong for several years dont think I will ever change them as long as I have the VH4
Alder body/Maple neck - 3 single coils route - Bardens with chunky bridge wind ... Had these pickups for about a month... So far liking the change from custom shop 69s

My Ibanez RG with a BKP painkiller set sound absolutely beautiful. 3D mids, and a sort of mystical quality to it.

Playing my Diezel Herbert with my Gibson Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials sounds the best to my ears. Best pickups I've ever had in my +37 years as a session guitarist.
Its awesome for Cleans, blues, hardrock and even metal. Very warm and open sounding and extremly articulate.
Don't care much for the Suhr SSV+ and SSV. Will change them for something else. Don't know which one's yet though.

I havent played them but i have heard clips and till now the EVH pickups where the best sounding i heard recorded. I also dig the suhr pickups with the Herbert.

MrFlexx":gpq53q7q said:
Playing my Diezel Herbert with my Gibson Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials sounds the best to my ears. Best pickups I've ever had in my +37 years as a session guitarist.
Its awesome for Cleans, blues, hardrock and even metal. Very warm and open sounding and extremly articulate.
Don't care much for the Suhr SSV+ and SSV. Will change them for something else. Don't know which one's yet though.

What is is that you don’t like about the SSV pickups ?
I haven’t had the pleasure myself, but I hear good things and clips.
Was thinking of trying an SSV+ in the bridge of one of my McCartys.

ChurchHill":2zc1ruqz said:
IDK, maybe... I think the Distortion has more mids inherently than the Nailbomb. I once tried putting an A5 in a Distortion. It was too mid-dy for me and lost some of its definition in both the highs and the lows. The standard ceramic sounded best to me in the Distortion. The A-Bomb is the pickup I'd hoped the A5-equipped Distortion would be. So, I'm thinking that it has slightly less mids by default. If I remember correctly, that's why I liked the A-Bomb better than the C-Bomb, but that was years ago and in a very different guitar.

Once I get my C-Bomb installed again, I'll let you know what I think, if you'd like. Should be in a couple of weeks.

The ceramic nailbomb is amazing! I just got a mayones Regius custom that has a BKP c-bomb bridge and VHII neck. Those pickups in that guitar sound brutal and beautiful with my Herbert mkII. Def one of my faves now!

Back