Any pedals close to the tone of the wizards?

I'm not sure that's possible. Into a cranked Hiwatt - maybe a pedal could get you halfway there but I doubt it.

sotosprince":1v1bpb52 said:
Has anyone tried a pedal that comes close to sounding like a wizard?

DRC":1oevra03 said:
I'm not sure that's possible. Into a cranked Hiwatt - maybe a pedal could get you halfway there but I doubt it.

sotosprince":1oevra03 said:
Has anyone tried a pedal that comes close to sounding like a wizard?
Hmm I'll try that! Thx! I'm in Athens Greece and it would be really to have a head shipped here! Im more than happy with my mark 3 blue stripe for the time being but i gotta try a wizard!!

They are really expensive. I will say it had the tightest bottom end of any amp I have ever played. Not a lot of gain was needed to make it sound heavy but there is more than enough available. I had an earlier model (closer to the Hetfield era MC1 than the newer MC2). If you do ever buy one you will need a place to play it because it is the loudest amp I have ever used. I think that percussive bottom end is the thing you'll never be able to get out of a pedal unless the amp you are using has a similar power section (hence the Hiwatt suggestion).

I've played plenty of Boogies. None of them sounded like the Wizard. The saturation was different. I'd say my Triaxis/2:90 rig was easier to play than my Wizard was. The sculpting of the gain seemed easier with the triaxis (or the early recto I played). It made those palm muted upstrokes much easier to play, but string to string definition with more complex chords or muted downstrokes - the Wizard was ridiculous. It's great for rock and metal. You can really clean it up for that Malcolm Young type thing and go right into Sad But True with one small increase in preamp gain.

DRC":3ipzpm4p said:
They are really expensive. I will say it had the tightest bottom end of any amp I have ever played. Not a lot of gain was needed to make it sound heavy but there is more than enough available. I had an earlier model (closer to the Hetfield era MC1 than the newer MC2). If you do ever buy one you will need a place to play it because it is the loudest amp I have ever used. I think that percussive bottom end is the thing you'll never be able to get out of a pedal unless the amp you are using has a similar power section (hence the Hiwatt suggestion).

I've played plenty of Boogies. None of them sounded like the Wizard. The saturation was different. I'd say my Triaxis/2:90 rig was easier to play than my Wizard was. The sculpting of the gain seemed easier with the triaxis (or the early recto I played). It made those palm muted upstrokes much easier to play, but string to string definition with more complex chords or muted downstrokes - the Wizard was ridiculous. It's great for rock and metal. You can really clean it up for that Malcolm Young type thing and go right into Sad But True with one small increase in preamp gain.
:rock: :rock: :rock: now :doh: :doh: :doh:

I just spent the last year evaluating pedals in front of a clean power section. Something was missing. Needed small platform, just bought a MC25 combo. Good luck with using pedals. If you want to try starting looking at the Menatone stuff, Menawatt or "The King"; good, however, still not even close.

Although I love my boogie mark III, I ve been thinking of selling it locally here in Greece and have the mc25 watts version shipped. I'm sure it would cost me a fortune though! How much do the used versions of this amp go for?

sotosprince":p21ylkva said:
Although I love my boogie mark III, I ve been thinking of selling it locally here in Greece and have the mc25 watts version shipped. I'm sure it would cost me a fortune though! How much do the used versions of this amp go for?

The one you want is the MTL. This will do all the Tallica tonez you desire. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Difficult to answer. On the one hand side it is a very Marshally sounding amp. So any Marshall in a box is tonally heading to the direction. On the other hand the quality of tone, dynamics, bottom end, overtones, aggression etc. can be replicated at all. Nothing I ever played sounds and feels like a Wizard. In my opinion very worth the shipping costs. There is no even close other amp I know.

Wizard of Ozz":392m51vz said:
sotosprince":392m51vz said:

The one you want is the MTL. This will do all the Tallica tonez you desire. :yes: :yes: :yes:
My mark 3 nail the metallica tone no problem! I'm just looking for some different voicing amp that does the marshall thing better than the real marshall haha

sotosprince":1l8d08tv said:
Wizard of Ozz":1l8d08tv said:
sotosprince":1l8d08tv said:

My mark 3 nail the metallica tone no problem! I'm just looking for some different voicing amp that does the marshall thing better than the real marshall haha

... then take your pick: MC... MC2... MTL. You can't go wrong! :rock: :thumbsup:

You can sometimes find a good deal on the Modern Classics.

Wizard of Ozz":3bqqnq4u said:
sotosprince":3bqqnq4u said:
Wizard of Ozz":3bqqnq4u said:
sotosprince":3bqqnq4u said:

... then take your pick: MC... MC2... MTL. You can't go wrong! :rock: :thumbsup:

You can sometimes find a good deal on the Modern Classics.
If everything goes as planned, next summer I'll be visiting Phoenix Arizona and some other States! Maybe I could find a nice wizard and bring it home!!!

Pedals...........the equivalent of cheap packaged condiments to mask the taste of cheap junk-food.

Back