• Soldano SLO

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Wizard Modern Classic II

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Other (Please specify below)

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters
Wizard of Ozz":1l40yl2x said:
I’d like to give the PB2 another run thru.
:yes:

That's another one I'd like to fiddle with. Almost bought that over the FB100 when I brought that one home. Guy at the store asked asked if I wanted him to bring out the PBII, but I told him not to bother after 5 minutes with the FB100.

I have a dream :) My dream is Fender clean, Marshall crunch, Mesa distortion with different flavors.
Maybe a new Triaxis with a new power amp.
Maybe a Mesa Mark V but without the disgusting stiffness that comes with it.
If Mesa could go ahead and stop cutting corners so we could have again the nice liquid, open sounding and "true" feeling amps, last ones being the Recto rev F and Mark IV, that would be great.

office-space-movie-review-plugged-in.png

Christos rock":7eucwet8 said:
I have a dream :) My dream is Fender clean, Marshall crunch, Mesa distortion with different flavors.
Maybe a new Triaxis with a new power amp.
Maybe a Mesa Mark V but without the disgusting stiffness that comes with it.

If Mesa could go ahead and stop cutting corners so we could have again the nice liquid, open sounding and "true" feeling amps, last ones being the Recto rev F and Mark IV, that would be great.
I'm gonna have to agree with this... The Mark Series was almost there, great cleans, great heavies, crunch could've used some help, but I've dialed mine in so close to so many modified Marshalls over the years with just channel 3 and the guitar's volume knob...

The Mark Series might not necessarily be my pick in this poll, but it's undeniably the one that I couldn't live without. The first amps I was ever happy with and the only amps that have been in my collection for 25 years.

If i go to the island with only one amp, i'd like to pick axe fx iii.

But in terms of the high gain amp, i'd pick Dan Gower's KK+ with the clean channel and the violence knob.

In terms of clean amp, SSS #002 or #005 type amp.

I just noticed this is primarily a top end/boutique high gain forum and not a single person selected the Engl SE. Aren't they the 5150 of Europe overseas?

glpg80":hih1ii26 said:
I just noticed this is primarily a top end/boutique high gain forum and not a single person selected the Engl SE. Aren't they the 5150 of Europe overseas?

I noticed the same thing. I don't know anyone that uses them.

I also find it interesting how spread out everyone's taste is. No single amp is way ahead of everything else. Kind of interesting.

For highgain stuff I like Fryette and Mesa.

stephen sawall":2zauskpv said:
THD Flexi
This is an amp that I always was so interested in trying, and never got a chance. I see they are going used for around $1100 now...really seems like an awesome deal.

stephen sawall":3bwxzoal said:
glpg80":3bwxzoal said:
I noticed the same thing. I don't know anyone that uses them.

I also find it interesting how spread out everyone's taste is. No single amp is way ahead of everything else. Kind of interesting.
Yeah, I've thought that's been one of the most interesting things in this thread. I've heard so many good things about ENGL over the years, but there doesn't seem to be much here. Some have mentioned the Savage and the Invader, but I would've thought that there would be more love for ENGL.

And yeah, there isn't really a clear winner here. There have been so many great amps mentioned, but none are really standing out as miles ahead of anything else. To me, that's really cool!

sutepaj":xzfe4qjz said:
stephen sawall":xzfe4qjz said:
THD Flexi
This is an amp that I always was so interested in trying, and never got a chance. I see they are going used for around $1100 now...really seems like an awesome deal.

I've seen a few go for around $800 in the last five years.

This amp is really about poweramp overdrive. So you need a attenuator or like it crazy loud. Personally I usually use KT66 and hot preamp tubes.

It has more gain than a JCM800. But nothing highgain by today's standards.

Back when I was doing gigs all the time this amp with a band just fit me in a way no other amp can. It still blows me away everytime.
.... It's about harmonics. Never have I seen a amp that can create this amount of harmonics in phase.

I certainly don't think this amp is for everyone. But if you have a taste for NMV amps you might like it.

Back