The Wiz MTL does AC/DC ?

MetalHeadMike":1fien75z said:
The MCII I just picked up will nail anything from classic thrash>nu-thrash>old school death metal>modern metal on the lead ch. I can pull any metal tone my little black desires with lead boost on or off and in either the low input or high input. It's VERY responsive to pick dynamics. I'm smacking the front end with a Ts9 as a clean boost just to tighten the lows a bit. Not adding any gain whatsoever with the TS mind you, just reigning in the low end and adding that little extra attack from the pedal.

FWIW this amp has the V transformers and it is a metal f!*?ing MONSTER. Its also NAILS 60s-70s rock n rolla on the rhythm ch.

Thanks alot !! I be heading for a V transformer MC2... cant wait for the time to come haha !

So it depends on what you mean by "does"...

I have an MTL, and you can set it for a great ACDC style crunch that if I were to go join a local cover band and use my MTL to crank out AC/DC tunes, the bar would be rockin and every guitarist in the joint would be totally jealous of how hard I nailed the AC/DC tone.

That being said...if Angus Young's car broke down in front of my house and he knocked on the door and asked to jam, Id plug him into an MC2 if I had one, or one of my actual old Marshalls before the MTL.

Love the MC2 and I totally want one, but I keep saving up for it and every time I get close I find a good deal on a sweet old Marshall or Boogie.

The MTL can most definitely do a more than convicting AC/DC style crunch edgy breakup, ala JailBreak... all the way thru Highway to Hell, Back in Black and thru BallBreaker. The rhythm channel is amazing... not a throw-away channel or after-thought found on many other highgain channel switching amps. The clean and crunch tones kill. It stands on it's own just fine.

Will the MC2 cover these tones better and/or more authentically, yes... to be sure. But the MTL can handle this sort of work just as well too. The MC2 and MTL are much more alike than different... and they are both simply 2 different flavors of killer Marshall-esque tone.

The Vintage Classic might actually be the best amp for this single sort of tone is you want to get really particular and exact about it. But then you don't have the other channels and features of the MTL and MC2.

PS: Don't go by Reza's demos. I don't like any of his video demos tones regardless of the amp. Way too honky and nasally. Sounds like he has the mids cranked or a cocked open wah pedal sound or something. Maybe it's his pups, technique, whatevs... but the the MTL sounds way, way, way better in person.

Wizard of Ozz":321farh3 said:
The MTL can most definitely do a more than convicting AC/DC style crunch edgy breakup, ala JailBreak... all the way thru Highway to Hell, Back in Black and thru BallBreaker. The rhythm channel is amazing... not a throw-away channel or after-thought found on many other highgain channel switching amps. The clean and crunch tones kill. It stands on it's own just fine.

Will the MC2 cover these tones better and/or more authentically, yes... to be sure. But the MTL can handle this sort of work just as well too. The MC2 and MTL are much more alike than different... and they are both simply 2 different flavors of killer Marshall-esque tone.

The Vintage Classic might actually be the best amp for this single sort of tone is you want to get really particular and exact about it. But then you don't have the other channels and features of the MTL and MC2.

PS: Don't go by Reza's demos. I don't like any of his video demos tones regardless of the amp. Way too honky and nasally. Sounds like he has the mids cranked or a cocked open wah pedal sound or something. Maybe it's his pups, technique, whatevs... but the the MTL sounds way, way, way better in person.
Agree...both amps really can do any genre of rock/metal with ease. There's really no bad choice. Plenty of gain with both amps, with the mids set a bit differently between each.
They are a gift that keeps on giving....I haven't played an amp this much in years.
:rock:

Racerxrated":3vy9wvug said:
Wizard of Ozz":3vy9wvug said:

Agree...both amps really can do any genre of rock/metal with ease. There's really no bad choice. Plenty of gain with both amps, with the mids set a bit differently between each.
They are a gift that keeps on giving....I haven't played an amp this much in years.

Yep. Definitely something special here with the Wizards. I've owned a bunch of amps... I mean a lot... really a lot. :yes: ;) :yes:

... and these Wizards are scary good. Kinda like that special tone you always wanted to get, but just could never dial in exactly 100%.

Racerxrated":25cay848 said:
hopkinWFG":25cay848 said:
Racerxrated":25cay848 said:
So, I can tell you that if you are looking for old school AC/DC tones look no further than the MCI/II. I had a MTL, and now have an MCI with the C transformer. The MTL has a hollow spot to me where the Marshall mids should be....it had lots of lower mids but the Marshall mids just weren't there to my ears. All the gain is usable on the MTL, and it stays tight...but it also didn't like any boosts I tried, even after dialing the gain back. I sold the MTL in a month. Great amp but I needed better mids....
I just picked up a 2010 MCI from LP6 here on RT. It absolutely slays for the huge modded Marshall tone I love. Gigantic sounding amp with all the upper mids I need. That or the MCII, with the C transformer is the one you want if you want old school Marshall tones, and it has enough gain to get into 80s metal territory...dial the gain back, leave the boost pushed in and it takes pedals as good as any JCM 800.

Cool... thanks racerxrated.... in anyway whats the diff between the MC2 with V or C transformer ? I am a metal player i like to play old school trash, Mercyful fate and sometimes to cannibal corpse.. i also hear ACDC in the past and at times i just like to play their tunes, i was merely thinking if the MC2 or a MTL would do good metal tones but also being able to dial in the ACDC crunch then it will serves me what i am looking at...

I hear some would like MC2 with the C transformer better than their new V transformer... is the V transformer being sounding more modern than the C being more of a classic 80s metal vibe to it ?
Not sure about the transformers, other than the C being the most Marshall-like in the mids. If you look in this sub forum and scroll back, you can find more talk about the differences in the transformers.
I will also add that I just got done playing it, and by dropping the mids way back I can get a Mark IIC+ type scooped metal tone...not saying it sounds like a C+ but the EQ spectrum is damn close to a C+ with a V in the GEQ.
The EQ is very responsive....trust me. A scooped metal tone is no problem with the MCI/II.

I also feel a IIC+ vibe/feel from my MC2, esp first play through. Maybe its the way I dialed it for the tones in my head, being similar to how my IIC+ tone is set, but it felt raw and aggressive like my IIC+. Like you said its not exact, but its interesting to hear you also say you got a similar vibe. I must whack a EQ in the loop and see what I get.
I find the MC2 + the VH4 nails Hetfield's type tone better than the VH4 + IIC+ in my room.

[/quote]
Yep. Definitely something special here with the Wizards. I've owned a bunch of amps... I mean a lot... really a lot. :yes: ;) :yes:

... and these Wizards are scary good. Kinda like that special tone you always wanted to get, but just could never dial in exactly 100%.[/quote]

^^^
This, especially the last sentence, sums up my experience with the MCII I just picked up.

[/quote]
I find the MC2 + the VH4 nails Hetfield's type tone better than the VH4 + IIC+ in my room.[/quote]

^^^
I haven't played Metallica stuff in years but was messing around the other night turning on the knobs and whamo! Out comes Master of Puppets and Blackened with the twist of the contour and mids.

For the record... I sold my 2017 VH4 after getting my MC2 and MTL. :yes:

They are both that good. For Metallica I’d take either Wizard MC2/MTL and a MKIIC+/MKIII any day over the VH4. James only uses channel 3 in the VH4 and I’m sure he’s boosting and eq-ing it too.

Just sayin... :rock:

buy a wizard, any of them, use the footswitch for channel and boost. Move along and stop messing around. Maybe put a reverb/echo in in the loop and the rest is on you. If you can't sound good with one of these, you need to work on the guitar skills. I wish I had just bought one of these much long ago, would have saved a great deal of time for the marshall and beyond territory.

mdc1mdc11":3hkjx4g1 said:
buy a wizard, any of them, use the footswitch for channel and boost. Move along and stop messing around. Maybe put a reverb/echo in in the loop and the rest is on you. If you can't sound good with one of these, you need to work on the guitar skills. I wish I had just bought one of these much long ago, would have saved a great deal of time for the marshall and beyond territory.

100% spot on. I ended up with an MC25 about a year and a half ago....it's the ballsiest sub 50 watt amp I've ever owned and played, it solved every gripe I've ever had with high gain amps - specifically the drive through window speaker compression sound that happens with most of the rest...they can keep the squish :LOL: :LOL: I had Mather build a custom matching vertical 2x12 thats loaded with a Gold and a Creamback M, jaw dropping good tones. Its a small footprint wolf in sheeps clothing rig.

The MC25 kicked my 50 watt Bogner Helios to the curb. First time I showed up at rehearsal with it the rest of the band told me to just leave the Helios at home, and those guys are well versed in my amp issues hahahah. I run an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master in the loop for verb / delay and otherwise plug straight in 100% of the time. No extra anything needed....Got one of those voodoo guy switchers that allows access to all functions, I really couldn't imaging not being able to get to all of the modes and could see how if someone had one of these amps with no footswitch it might not be ideal, unless they just wanted one sound.

Bottom line is just like you said - take the leap of faith and get one. Unlike any other amp I've owned or played this is truly a must have it there with you thing, no question. I've kind of considered looking at a 50 watter lately, but not for any other reason than curiosity, it will be different for sure given the 6V6 vs EL34 thing, bigger everything but that's not necessarily needed fro me. Might hit up Rick to see if he could build a 50 in the MC25 size, that would be ideal. Reality is though there isn't a single thing the MC25 can't / wont cover in my own situation. Magic fricking amp :rock: :rock: :rock:

+1 on the MC25.

I have a 100 watt MCII and MTL. I bought an MC25 as a more portable rig. Yes, the 100 watt amps have more push, as you would expect. However, that MC25 is indeed a monster. Although I have no plans to sell any of my Wizards, I'm finding that I'm playing the MC25 the most as of late since I typically like to practice with the amp that I gig.

Back