Anyone use BBE Sonic max with Axe Fx gear?

Mr. Willy":3ov12cae said:
Doesn't a Sonic Maximizer do the same thing, basically, as an eq? Don’t know a lot about them, but I remember that it was initially designed for pa units. Some metal dudes started using them in their rigs, so BBE started marketing them to guitarists.

Smarter people than me have traced out the circuits and they are state variable fitlers, with the band pass fixed and the high pass and low pass filters adjustable (Lo Contour and Process, respectively).

Like any tool, they will have their uses but are not one-size-fits-all. I recently built a clone and while I think it’s unnecessary with most of my amps, it is useful with my old Valvestate, it kinda acts like resonance and presence controls. I think that amp needs a recap though. The trick is not to go extreme on the settings.

:yes:
mnemonic":19anrst1 said:
Mr. Willy":19anrst1 said:
Doesn't a Sonic Maximizer do the same thing, basically, as an eq? Don’t know a lot about them, but I remember that it was initially designed for pa units. Some metal dudes started using them in their rigs, so BBE started marketing them to guitarists.

Smarter people than me have traced out the circuits and they are state variable fitlers, with the band pass fixed and the high pass and low pass filters adjustable (Lo Contour and Process, respectively).

Like any tool, they will have their uses but are not one-size-fits-all. I recently built a clone and while I think it’s unnecessary with most of my amps, it is useful with my old Valvestate, it kinda acts like resonance and presence controls. I think that amp needs a recap though. The trick is not to go extreme on the settings.

I started using one back in the late 80's with a tube pre/power rack system...still in there today. I always liked the result...but as you note on the levels...I've never set the knobs much past noon and mostly leave it flat or actually closer to 11 on the low end. My take and appreciation for it of what it does is take an AM sound to FM stereo.

I have AB'd quite a bit and it definitely makes a difference...whether that difference is a good or bad thing is always up to the user...as stated in this thread elsewhere...trust your ears. I'll try it both ways and see if I still need my "crack hit" to feel comfortable with my sound! ;)

aftec":38xqjrby said:
The Enhancer block in the axe fx is basically a Sonic Maximiser/Aphex Aural Exciter copy. I guess it makes the SM redundant.

Yes, that is what I was going to post. I think it is pretty good for certain things. I use it when I'm trying to get a "Van Hagar" tone and works great for that! Years ago I had a patch that nearly nailed the 5150 and OU812 years.

romanianreaper":3343h81q said:
aftec":3343h81q said:
The Enhancer block in the axe fx is basically a Sonic Maximiser/Aphex Aural Exciter copy. I guess it makes the SM redundant.

Yes, that is what I was going to post. I think it is pretty good for certain things. I use it when I'm trying to get a "Van Hagar" tone and works great for that! Years ago I had a patch that nearly nailed the 5150 and OU812 years.

Nah, as I noted above the AxeFx enhancer block is a stereo imaging/widening effect that has no relationship to exciters or sonic maximizers. It is actually useful/sounds good too; but only if you are running a stereo rig, otherwise you will just end up with phasing problems. I think people confuse it because of the name (it has come up many times on the Fractal forum)... and the fact that it's one of those effects that when folks engage it they are like "I am not sure what this effect is doing but I like it" does not help clarify things, either. ;)

See Fractal's wiki/forum for more info. You have a bunch of EQs on tap with the AxeFx so there is really not much need for something which messes with your frequency response in some nebulous way. Parametric EQs are where it's at baby.

Dave L":1yvzawwa said:
That´s a Steve Lukather quote, I think. He said it was just like cocaine for your sound, and that´s coming from a guy that knows a thing or two about cocaine.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I swear Steve was either drunk, high, or both during this video! Still cool though. I just love how he admits to the 'G.A.S.' syndrome and rants how (truly) pathetic it is and his advice about it. Then shows off all his equipment with all the "grease" on his effects.

Mr. Willy":2jfe86sp said:

Yeah that's truly. Basically a glorified overdone EQ. A dedicated EQ pedal, well any cheapy 7-band works better.

I admit I fell for the Sonic Maximiser hype a while ago... :confused: I could not get rid of that pedal. It really did become a doorstop and then I gave it to my cousin who plays the drums. I don't know what he has since done with it.

Back