***Update***:Need some advice on a transaction

Ok guys, here’s where this stands. Where I left off here was that I agreed with Paypal that I will refund this deadbeat buyer in full but only if the amp is sent back to me, including pictures of the amp and it’s damaged tubes, as well as pix of the box. Paypal sent this offer to the buyer. The next day, my bank account was debited the full refund amount from Paypal. I called Paypal to get shipping or tracking information, they said they are working on it. A week later, nothing, so I call Paypal again. Same story,,”were workin on contacting the buyer to get him to return the merchandise”. A few days later, call Paypal again, this time speak with a supervisor,,,they say they have given it to their specialized team to ‘reopen the case’,, and for me to just be patient. A couple more calls to Paypal,,,same fucken thing,,,we are trying to get ahold of the buyer. I even offered to pay for the shipping. WTF is wrong with Paypal here? In the meantime, this deadbeat asshole completely deletes his Reverb account, most likely in an effort to evade any attempt of me contacting him thru the original transaction platform. Mind you, Reverb was no help whatsoever during any of this anyways. They pushed the whole thing over to Paypal and did nothing to help.
So yesterday, I decide to search eBay to see if any Mesa 395 PowerAmps were up for sale, or had been sold; and there’s this:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Simu ... cvip-panel
THIS IS THE GUY! THIS IS MY AMP! The fucker sold it on eBay 2 weeks after getting a refund!
There’s no question this is my 395. The scratches on the front match. The screw rash is the same on the rack ears, and the seller is in San Antonio, Tx!
So now, maybe I DO have some recourse here. Couldn’t I report the amp stolen to San Antonio police department? He didn’t take a picture of the serial # in his eBay listing(probably on purpose), but I have a picture of the serial #, and plenty of pics of the amp that show that they are one in the same. What do you guys think is the best way to handle this. I SO want to burn this guy for putting me thru this shit!
Sorry for the dissertation guys; any advice is greatly appreciated. Reverb has left me high and dry. Paypal has left me the same. Hopefully there is something I can still do here to get some justice!!
Len

Yes, I would call the San Antonio police department, give them a factual based summary with the pictures.
With a police report in hand, you should be able to pull the details of who bought it from him to confirm the serial number.

LanierP":2h5nmarx said:
Ok guys, here’s where this stands. Where I left off here was that I agreed with Paypal that I will refund this deadbeat buyer in full but only if the amp is sent back to me, including pictures of the amp and it’s damaged tubes, as well as pix of the box. Paypal sent this offer to the buyer. The next day, my bank account was debited the full refund amount from Paypal. I called Paypal to get shipping or tracking information, they said they are working on it. A week later, nothing, so I call Paypal again. Same story,,”were workin on contacting the buyer to get him to return the merchandise”. A few days later, call Paypal again, this time speak with a supervisor,,,they say they have given it to their specialized team to ‘reopen the case’,, and for me to just be patient. A couple more calls to Paypal,,,same fucken thing,,,we are trying to get ahold of the buyer. I even offered to pay for the shipping. WTF is wrong with Paypal here? In the meantime, this deadbeat asshole completely deletes his Reverb account, most likely in an effort to evade any attempt of me contacting him thru the original transaction platform. Mind you, Reverb was no help whatsoever during any of this anyways. They pushed the whole thing over to Paypal and did nothing to help.
So yesterday, I decide to search eBay to see if any Mesa 395 PowerAmps were up for sale, or had been sold; and there’s this:

THIS IS THE GUY! THIS IS MY AMP! The fucker sold it on eBay 2 weeks after getting a refund!
There’s no question this is my 395. The scratches on the front match. The screw rash is the same on the rack ears, and the seller is in San Antonio, Tx!
So now, maybe I DO have some recourse here. Couldn’t I report the amp stolen to San Antonio police department? He didn’t take a picture of the serial # in his eBay listing(probably on purpose), but I have a picture of the serial #, and plenty of pics of the amp that show that they are one in the same. What do you guys think is the best way to handle this. I SO want to burn this guy for putting me thru this shit!
Sorry for the dissertation guys; any advice is greatly appreciated. Reverb has left me high and dry. Paypal has left me the same. Hopefully there is something I can still do here to get some justice!!
Len

PayPal and eBay still have a very close relationship (PayPal was started by and as part of eBay if you remember). You may be able to play this angle with PayPal. Clearly PayPal owes you your money now. They should also be able to verify whether the eBay seller in question is the same as the buyer from your transaction. Going through PayPal is probably the easiest option here, which sucks because it's going to be frustrating as hell.

You can try to contact eBay to tell them that you believe stolen goods were sold on their platform and that you need their help contacting the buyer of that amp to verify the serial number. I'd expect some major bureaucratic headaches, but they may be able to help there.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/proh ... cy?id=4334

If PayPal doesn't help but you do indeed verify that the eBay amp is your amp, then you should contact the San Antonio police and press charges. It would probably be a class A misdemeanor (based on the value of the stolen item, from a quick google search of Texas law), but at least you get to cause him the headache. Then the state of Texas will be able to levy a fine, which could result in his drivers licence being suspended, his car getting booted/towed, or whatever else the state may do in such situations when someone owes them money. That could be fun for you. They should also be pretty convincing in making sure PayPal gives you back your money.

If PayPal doesn't help you, and you can't verify that it was indeed your amp sold on eBay, then your absolute last resort may be to go through small claims court.The downside is that, even if it's ruled in your favor, there's really nothing that can force this guy to fork over the money. If you have a lawyer friend, get his/her help.

FINAL THING: don't assume that the eBay seller is the same guy that stole your amp. It's likely that he sold it to a second hand outfit local to him. That eBay store has 100% positive feedback and has three other guitars for sale right now. It doesn't match the profile you've painted of this deadbeat buyer. This may be an ideal situation, because if they bought it legit (and documented it, which means they would have taken a copy of the loser's driver's license and recorded everything in their books), they're probably going to be angry at this guy also, and they would cooperate with eBay and law enforcement to help keep their butts clean also.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just going with how I would proceed here.

First, I would contact ebay again and again. Demand a supervisor and demand your money back.

I have no idea what the hell is going on here but from my experiences people get 10 days to respond, then it is auto win for you.

Second, you know where this guy lives.

Most of why I say these things is because of this:

dirtyfunkg":1dc2zs7d said:
If PayPal doesn't help you, and you can't verify that it was indeed your amp sold on eBay, then your absolute last resort may be to go through small claims court.The downside is that, even if it's ruled in your favor, there's really nothing that can force this guy to fork over the money. If you have a lawyer friend, get his/her help.

Sadly, this is the truth.

dirtyfunkg":3dl3p6e3 said:
LanierP":3dl3p6e3 said:

Len

PayPal and eBay still have a very close relationship (PayPal was started by and as part of eBay if you remember). You may be able to play this angle with PayPal. Clearly PayPal owes you your money now. They should also be able to verify whether the eBay seller in question is the same as the buyer from your transaction. Going through PayPal is probably the easiest option here, which sucks because it's going to be frustrating as hell.

You can try to contact eBay to tell them that you believe stolen goods were sold on their platform and that you need their help contacting the buyer of that amp to verify the serial number. I'd expect some major bureaucratic headaches, but they may be able to help there.

If PayPal doesn't help but you do indeed verify that the eBay amp is your amp, then you should contact the San Antonio police and press charges. It would probably be a class A misdemeanor (based on the value of the stolen item, from a quick google search of Texas law), but at least you get to cause him the headache. Then the state of Texas will be able to levy a fine, which could result in his drivers licence being suspended, his car getting booted/towed, or whatever else the state may do in such situations when someone owes them money. That could be fun for you. They should also be pretty convincing in making sure PayPal gives you back your money.

FINAL THING: don't assume that the eBay seller is the same guy that stole your amp. It's likely that he sold it to a second hand outfit local to him. That eBay store has 100% positive feedback and has three other guitars for sale right now. It doesn't match the profile you've painted of this deadbeat buyer. This may be an ideal situation, because if they bought it legit (and documented it, which means they would have taken a copy of the loser's driver's license and recorded everything in their books), they're probably going to be angry at this guy also, and they would cooperate with eBay and law enforcement to help keep their butts clean also.

Thanks much my friend. All good points you’ve made here.
Len

i'd talk with the PD first, and understand what they can/can't do. i'd guess/hope they can resolve this if need be..then contact PP/Ebay and give them a working day to refund all your GD money, or let them know the PD has been notified. at this point, fuck'em all man. you've done your part, you've been patient and the only thing it's gotten you is a royal jellyless fucking.

and-or, what maddnotez said.

this entire deal sucks major balls...sorry for you dude. wish there was an easy out for ya here...

LanierP":3gdbxo7r said:
dirtyfunkg":3gdbxo7r said:
LanierP":3gdbxo7r said:

Len

Len
You also need to go to your bank and tell them the debit for the amp was an unauthorized transaction. They can Claw the money back. Don't take no for an answer, tell them this was fraud. You never authorized this. Also, if your Visa is how it is tied to your bank you can use them as well. I've done this in the past once when I didn't get an amp back. Put your foot down and demand it be refunded to you.

Racerxrated":10u8l2bm said:
LanierP":10u8l2bm said:
dirtyfunkg":10u8l2bm said:
LanierP":10u8l2bm said:

Len

Len
You also need to go to your bank and tell them the debit for the amp was an unauthorized transaction. They can Claw the money back. Don't take no for an answer, tell them this was fraud. You never authorized this. Also, if your Visa is how it is tied to your bank you can use them as well. I've done this in the past once when I didn't get an amp back. Put your foot down and demand it be refunded to you.

This is probably the best answer IMO. Unauthorized charges. Bank should refund you.

You can try the Police, but they are usually worthless. Unless you can lead them to exactly where your property is.

Your best bet is call your bank, make a fraud claim. Call Ebay, and paypal, make a fraud claim.

So Paypal knew this deal was going sideways and they did not even force the buyer to wait until you received your amp back before refunding the buyer. Something is very very wrong here............at this point isn't PP liable since they refunded the guy before your getting your amp back, they are complicit in defrauding you. All I can say is wow just wow.

That means anyone who wants to pull this shit can pretty much get away with it. Maybe you can get a lawyer to write a legal letter to PP implicating them is this case of fraud and possible force them to refund you. The letter needs to chronologically track every detail , times and documents that you do have as so forth. PP might actually respond to that.

They are the ones not representing the seller here, there has to be some protection for you somewhere in this mess of shit.

I hope this works out for you, because anyone selling a big ticket item will be in your shoes eventually once it becomes know this is so easy to do as a buyer.

Holy clusterfuck.

I'd figured this had been resolved.

I have no recommendations for something this far out of bed. I'd suggest possibly getting the local news involved to warn others for starters, file a report with the police, and possibly look into a civil court case with a lawyer.

SpiderWars":2mvba0f4 said:
He should have inspected the contents as soon as it arrived. Seven weeks is way past any grace period for that.

Fedex gives you 10 days after you receive the package last time I checked. 7 weeks is 49 days. Sorry, but your buyer waited way too long to inspect, check or contact you.

Here are the comparison pics of the amp just before I shipped it to this guy!
Note the two areas of scratches (top left is a mark just to the right of the screw; bottom left is a chip in the paint at the 8oclock position next to the left 4ohm jack)
Top pic is mine, bottom pic is from his sold listing on EBay
Ci762gm.jpg

htjU5SE.jpg

I don’t think there is any question that this is my amp. I have plenty of other pix that show matching scratches and such. The guy clearly put a new set of tubes in it and sold it.

Thats your amp dude! Also look at the angle on the nuts on the output jacks. All four match up perfectly.

Also the second tube back behind the INPUT B jack has a red half moon paint marking, then in the Ebay photo that same tube behind the brand new Mesa STR 420 with a new style Mesa label on the base the exact same half moon red paint mark.

Yes, I agree... that is your amplifier. You now need to organize all this information in a clear and concise manner and then contact Ebay fraud division get all the info on the seller and open a case with Paypal, Reverb and Ebay. Paypal has to know what they did was wrong issuing a refund before you received your amp back. That in itself caused you to be defrauded period, they are complicit and a lawyer should see it this way too.

There has to be a protection mechanism for Paypal sellers somewhere in the legalese, you need to press them on this and find out what it is. They brokered the terms of the return between you and the buyer, that is a legal contract you have it all in writing, you need to tell them this and at least pay for a legal letter by an attorney mailed certified to Paypal's management/legal department even if it is a bluff you will need that letter and all of your correspondence and proof regarding this matter. They allowed you to be defrauded like this you should be able to bring a case against Paypal. But they probably will only respond to a legal action taken by you which probably will cost more than the amp its worth by retaining an attorney, they will be counting on this. That lawyer friend of your should be able to do this quite easily at a discount if not free even if they only sign a letter drafted by you. See if their demeanor changes once they are legally notified, if not then you know you have done all you could do. This really sucks not just for you but everyone who sells items online, Thanks for letting us know what is happening with this case.

Obviously this guy knows and uses the Paypal 90 day return policy to perpetrate crimes, it seems he has done it before, and chances are that the ebay seller is him, sometimes they aren't that smart to or they are brazen enough to flaunt it thinking they will never be caught.

Here is the best pic I have of the serial #. Just wanted to see if you guys concur with how I read it (it was a tough one to get a picture of clearly).
I see the number as :62807. Anyone see a different number here?(mainly the last 3 digits).
8voR63a.jpg

I am going to attempt a charge-back on Paypal thru my BOA Visa Debit Card in which the funds were withdrawn. Will also look into reporting the amp stolen with San Antonio PD. I am 99% sure that the seller who sold this on EBay is the same person who failed to return the merchandise. In his description of the amp on the eBay listing, his verbiage is identical to the messages he sent me from our Reverb transaction, and he even mentions that he will only ship via USPS, which matches what he said on Reverb in his long tirade about his hatred for FedEx. This whole experience has made me extremely gunshy on selling any gear period. Maybe craigslist isn’t such a bad way to go after all ? A face to face transaction versus dealing with all these issues with Paypal; etc...
Thanks for reading all this guys. I will keep updating here as things unfold.
With hope,
Len

Ebay/Paypal aren't supposed to release the refund to the buyer until the amp is proven returned through tracking, or so I thought? How could they give the buyer his refund without first proving you received the amp back? This is the process last I knew....

That's good that they charged the amount to your BOA card. Now you have BOA involved in an internet fraud case. You need to forward all your contact BOA open a case and send them all you correspondences with Paypal, Reverb and Ebay and all you pics. They should hopefully side with you and do a charge back on Paypal, you pretty much have all the proof you need to get a charge back in my opinion. Paypal/Reverb(they are not off the hook, they have this guy's info and address) and Ebay then would have to go after the Ebay seller of you amp.

You obviously have a name and address where this was shipped to right?

Since BOA is involved I think you have a chance at getting your money back, if they had pulled it out of your Bank account you would be screwed. If you planned that by forcing them to pull it from you BOA credit card it was a smart thing for you to do.

Back