New power amp day: VHT 2150

Dave L

In all my rack days I never had one of these, and I've been on the lookout for one on and off for a year or two. And well, here it is in all its purple glory :yes:

It´s an export model from 1990, a fairly early one but after they went over to KT88s. I actually haven't played it yet because I need to replace a 3€ fuse holder and have my amp doctor give it a clean bill of health after years and years spent in storage, but otherwise it looks pretty neat and tidy. Can't wait to get it up and running. Big thanks to fellow member lovegun for the smooth hook-up!

Is that pic upside down for you guys too? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,017
Thanks! And yeah, it´s one of the major rack classics, for sure. The purple finish is also a nice bonus, since the main reason I've been looking for a 2150 is the very purple Soldano X99 I got a while back.

Dave L":2otx0h15 said:
Thanks! And yeah, it´s one of the major rack classics, for sure. The purple finish is also a nice bonus, since the main reason I've been looking for a 2150 is the very purple Soldano X99 I got a while back.
Cool amp! But now you need to post a not-upside-down pic of the X99 and 2150 together! :rock:

Nice score Dave. That is THE amp and it will make ANY preamp you pair with it sound better. I had a original 3 tube mp-1and it just killed. Ran the depth all the way up and .1 on the rate and was thick as a tone you could have.

Love the purple!! Definitely one of, if not THE best rack power amp. Congrats!!

(And I'm sure you see this coming...) We need some CLIPS!!! (please) :)

Clips are coming as soon as it´s back in action, but here's a shot of it along with the X99 sitting pretty in the big rack.

Attachments

• hKRmM6d - Imgur.jpg
    hKRmM6d - Imgur.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 2,535
I love the X99, for sure. I haven´t tested it back to back with a X88R, but from what I can remember of the X88 the X99 sounds and feels very similar. So yeah, I would say it is like a X88 but with presets and MIDI. I probably wouldn´t call it modernized in any other regard, though, it came out back in 1992 or so and is a pretty old school unit apart from the motorized pots.

riffermadness":3cn7fur8 said:
Badass !! I like that rig and those 2 Harmonizers !

Yeah, the Eventides are monsters. I´ve tried a lot of FX, but those two are special.

exo-metal":2w9tb77w said:
Nice score Dave. That is THE amp and it will make ANY preamp you pair with it sound better. I had a original 3 tube mp-1and it just killed. Ran the depth all the way up and .1 on the rate and was thick as a tone you could have.

:rock:

How have you been liking it? I'm really searching for one but can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?
Thank you much.

Christ, imagine shipping that. I bet it weigh s a ton and trying to protect it with that shape. Looks fantastic.

What kind of tones are you shooting for with that bitchin’ fridge?

Back