George Lynch tone quest

sandman

A buddy of mine is on a limited income. He wants a tube amp but has decided solidstate is his best option for multiple reasons...i tried to tell him about different tube amps/used amps etc....but...he's stubborn and wants to go solidstate....he wants to get a George Lynch like tone the best he can....He said he could spend about $500 total...he wants a head but he wants to buy wah pedal and other stuff as well....he has a 2x12 cab i think it's a marshall 1936 2x12...but anyway...what solidstate head would you guys recommend for getting as close as possible to Lynch tone of Dokken/Lynch Mob era....peavey?, randall?, marshall MG series? I told him i'd ask you guys!!!

I don't really know much about his tone, but I would guess a maple body guitar would be a pretty key part of it?

Megadeth7684":08e27 said:
I don't really know much about his tone, but I would guess a maple body guitar would be a pretty key part of it?
well he will have to stick with a fat strat with a duncan Jb or distortion in the bridge..not sure which pup he has..one of the two though

About 15 years ago I had a Randall RG80ES w/ matching slant 2x12 cab. With a boost and a delay I was able to hit some pretty convincing Lynch tones. The Randalls are an inexpensive amp, but not quite what you would call flexible. They're a one-trick-pony, but they do their one trick well :rock:

sandman31774":48cc9 said:
Megadeth7684":48cc9 said:
well he will have to stick with a fat strat with a duncan Jb or distortion in the bridge..not sure which pup he has..one of the two though

Mosdef do NOT use the lynch screamin' demon - worst pup ever :gethim:

:LOL: :LOL:

sandman31774":d0983 said:
A buddy of mine is on a limited income. He wants a tube amp but has decided solidstate is his best option for multiple reasons...i tried to tell him about different tube amps/used amps etc....but...he's stubborn and wants to go solidstate....he wants to get a George Lynch like tone the best he can....He said he could spend about $500 total...he wants a head but he wants to buy wah pedal and other stuff as well....he has a 2x12 cab i think it's a marshall 1936 2x12...but anyway...what solidstate head would you guys recommend for getting as close as possible to Lynch tone of Dokken/Lynch Mob era....peavey?, randall?, marshall MG series? I told him i'd ask you guys!!!

Depends on what Lynch tone he wants. Lynch had many different tones.

The closest Lynch tone that he can get for $500 is the tooth and nail tone. That is no more then a Randall rg80 or rg100 with a boost pedal.

If he want a different Lynch tone he will need an old marshall, a boost pedal and h30 speakers along with a maple bodied guitar.

Hope that helps bro!!

~R~

Gainfreak":8396f said:
sandman31774":8396f said:

Depends on what Lynch tone he wants. Lynch had many different tones.

The closest Lynch tone that he can get for $500 is the tooth and nail tone. That is no more then a Randall rg80 or rg100 with a boost pedal.

If he want a different Lynch tone he will need an old marshall, a boost pedal and h30 speakers along with a maple bodied guitar.

Hope that helps bro!!

~R~

well for 500 bucks his options are very limited...he'll just have to settle...i told him to get something versatile...so he can play different styles on one amp...ehh...he'll have to figure it out...i appreciate all the suggestions and I'll pass them on to him! :thumbsup:

For that price I can think of 2 amps worth to look at:
old 1x12 JCM 800 combo
or old Mesa studio 22 amp

I have no idea what Lynch sounds like, but these are tube amps that will get tone better than any solid state amp & have a great resale value if he decides to upgrade some day.

George has had so many different setups
always on the hunt for the perfect tone
I would say throw in a Screamin Demon
Check out the Crate GT3500 (shockwave) for solid state
The clean is awesome, the rhythm channel is sweet and the solo channel
can do everything up to Sick Brutal distortion and it has tone.

or for tube Fender Super 60 (Rivera era), not the solid state but the tube
super 60.

:thumbsup:

sandman31774":d9f85 said:

He could get an old school Randall like George used on the Tooth and Nail album (I think).

Out of newer offerings maybe a Peavey XXL? :LOL: :LOL:

Not that it would necessarily nail his tone exact, but the gain might be enough to his liking.

Or modeler of some sort.....

Shiny_Surface":a6f97 said:
sandman31774":a6f97 said:

He could get an old school Randall like George used on the Tooth and Nail album (I think).

Out of newer offerings maybe a Peavey XXL? :LOL: :LOL:

Not that it would necessarily nail his tone exact, but the gain might be enough to his liking.

Or modeler of some sort.....

Actually the Peavey XXL does a pretty good job with early Lynch tones. It's not a bad amp at all. Can pick them up for a good price used.

:)

Carvin Legacy heads are fairly inexpensive used. Might not be the perfect Lynch tone but it is an el34 tube head :thumbsup: Far better than any SS amd IMO

Back