Speaker Battle: V30 vs G12K-100

Sacha

Any opinions?

I've tried getting in touch with people regarding the new Diezel cabs to no avail...maybe after NAMM. :student:

i am interested in this as well! im wanting to know how a front loaded g12k-100 cab would mix live with my rear loaded v 30 cab.
peace
Andy W

I'm a big fan of both speakers. I've heard the 100s in Marshall and Fender (seriously) cabs and compared to V30s, they have a much wider freq. responce. Tons of low end, very even smooth mids, and a high end responce a little different than most other Celestions. The highs stay clean and articulate rather than crunching up. Dynamically they are super punchy, stiff and not as compressed as V30s. Probably not the best bet for classic rock where speaker breakup enhances the tone, but incredible for high gain and accurate clean tones.

The other 'clean' Celestion that doesn't break up much, Classic Lead 80, sounds quite different than the G12K-100. Different materials used in the construction result, IMO, in the 100 having a much warmer, throaty natural sound vs. the edgy, metallic sound of the 80.

I'm almost certain I will be getting one of these new Diezel G12k100 cabs. I love front loaded cabs !

I'm using the Celestion G12K-100 trough a Diezel Rearloaded Cab + Diezel Herbert +Gibson SG or Fender Strat.

I compared this combination to other cabs and speakers like Engl loaded with V30...Marshall loaded with eminence delta pro 12...and so on.

My cab, the diezel 412R with g12k 100 sounded very good into my ears especially for modern metall sounds. The cleansound is realy "full" and you can feel the tone into the room. Funk, smooth blues and fusion jazz, everything is possible and sounds realy nice...great! (:

But I heard that the g12k 100 would sound better in the frontloaded cab...that was the only one possible combination that I did not try out =/ :doh:

you wouldn't do any fault if you're going to buy these speakers (:

no im a HUGE v3O fan. only speaker i have ever used in any rig, BUT i wanna mix in something for just live and nothing is cooler looking than 2 cabs anyway :D i just wanna know how both cabs would sound together.
peace
Andy W

Hi,

has anyone tried the G12K-100 in the Einstein Combo (or any other open back cabinet)?

I'm looking for more aggressive highs and a little less mids compared to the stock V30.

Thanks a lot!

Hello to everybody!
I´m back from the NAMM and a bit jet lagged.
Very interesting discussion. I fully agree with "thegame´s" describtion! Van Hellions idea comes close to Adam Jones´s tone. Even better would be a V30 Rearloaded and a G12K100 Front.
This gives kind of phasing signal....like it or not.
If somebody has seen my interview...The way it´s ment to be: We sell more V30 cabinets than G12K cabinets. It´s just an alternative chassis for those who need more definition between 500 Hz and
3.5kHz. Some of you might like the early break up of the V30, some might not. Peter Diezel wants me to make a G12H cabinet. I talked to the guys from Celestion and they will send me samples asap.

By the way, the baby is ready to roll :rock:

Attachments

• CIMG0658.JPG
    CIMG0658.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 21,280
G12H - very interesting and IMO a good idea.

I hope that you don't mind if I use that pic for your website? :D

Hi Peter ;)

Peter Stapfer":2bbva7q5 said:
Hello to everybody!
I´m back from the NAMM and a bit jet lagged.
Very interesting discussion. I fully agree with "thegame´s" describtion! Van Hellions idea comes close to Adam Jones´s tone. Even better would be a V30 Rearloaded and a G12K100 Front.
This gives kind of phasing signal....like it or not.
If somebody has seen my interview...The way it´s ment to be: We sell more V30 cabinets than G12K cabinets. It´s just an alternative chassis for those who need more definition between 500 Hz and
3.5kHz. Some of you might like the early break up of the V30, some might not. Peter Diezel wants me to make a G12H cabinet. I talked to the guys from Celestion and they will send me samples asap.

By the way, the baby is ready to roll :rock:

Hi Peter! Thanks for the info. When will these new cabs be available to order and do you have a rough price to North Americans?
:rock:

I am dealing with Tyler Salwender how to get the first container to the US.
We have to deal with the banks and stuff, so it´s up to them, if we can make this happen.
Sending the cabinets by UPS was a nightmare costwise. The cabinets that I sent to Tokyo via UPS have been completely destroyed. Tyler is my man, I´ll do my very best to arrange the import of the cabinets to North America.
Shipping should take between 60 to 80 days, but dealing with the banks is something special.
I´ll keep you updated, gentlemen. By the way, I´ll be in holiday for 3 days! (I had 2 days last year, what a gain!)

Nice to hear that you are back, Peter.
Have a nice vacation and I will be waiting for the reply on my e-mail, regarding the new cabs.

Niki

Peter Stapfer":79uwew8m said:
I am dealing with Tyler Salwender how to get the first container to the US.
We have to deal with the banks and stuff, so it´s up to them, if we can make this happen.
Sending the cabinets by UPS was a nightmare costwise. The cabinets that I sent to Tokyo via UPS have been completely destroyed. Tyler is my man, I´ll do my very best to arrange the import of the cabinets to North America.
Shipping should take between 60 to 80 days, but dealing with the banks is something special.
I´ll keep you updated, gentlemen. By the way, I´ll be in holiday for 3 days! (I had 2 days last year, what a gain!)

No holidays since 1985 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":nef6ciey said:
I guess I'm the only one that likes the V30's for metal/hard rock better, there is a thickness to them that I love that's in the midrange somewhere. :dunno:

-Nick
No Nick, I’m with you all the way. The G12K-100 fall under the classic zone with the Vintage 30, same category as far as era.

Back when I was waiting indefinitely for some minor parts for my Herbie, Terry told me about this new Diezel cab, more or less. I deduced that the speakers had to be the G12K-100 since Peter primarily uses his custom12s which I have and Vintage 30s.

I bought 4 G12K-100 speakers and loaded them up and was moderately impressed, but not impressed enough to keep them. They hadn’t the nice chime and sparkle in the high end, the midrange I like and the oomph as I like in the low end too as the Vintage 30 does.

Basically the G12K-100 is simply a louder speaker but IMO not as versatile as a Vintage 30

Different strokes for different folks…

Would an x pattern loaded cab of v30s and 100s give you the best of both worlds then? or does it kinda create a tone of its own?

it creates its own tone. i tried it in mine & it sounded good..but i liked all 4 G12K100s in comparison. just my ears i guess. But people are different. If you have the speakers, give them a try. you may like it. and if you dont its only your time & effort that is lost.

Thanks man,
The problem is I don't live near any good guitar shops or diezel showrooms :/ Pretty much all my purchases are based on reviews.

Hi,

I own a frontloaded V30 and G12K100 mixed cab. The are mounted left and right side, so that I can use it as a 2x12 with one speaker type, if I like, but to be honest: For me the mix is the coolest thing =)

The V30 is more spikey and has more own character, whereas the G12K100 sound more neutral to me, but has a HUGE bottom end.

But the diezel guys dont like them mixed in one cabinet, so thats up to your own ;)

I just came from an Ab comparison: G12K100 vs V30, both front loaded (Einstein head). After a loooooot of reading of reviews, I has convinced that a will like G12K100 better. Guess what: right now, behind me there is a V30 Front loaded Diezel cab laughing at me. I did not cranked up the head, but i never will, not in my home, nor in the studio or the clubs where I'm playing so i just herd both cabs in conventional levels. I was testing these cabs with an Einstein Head and a les paul guitar so pronounced highs (from V30) and attack (from FL configuration) are just the "missing ingredients" for my cake.

So
TRY before you buy
or
buy and NEVER ask

van hellion":3np330ak said:
no im a HUGE v3O fan. only speaker i have ever used in any rig, BUT i wanna mix in something for just live and nothing is cooler looking than 2 cabs anyway :D i just wanna know how both cabs would sound together.
peace
Andy W

My Favorite Mix... Is V30's & Lead 80's I have this in an X-Pattern in my MILLS Afterburner Cab. The 80's are a great match with the 30's they are Darker, and have more punch, and bottom, and are Creamy... Perfect with the Growl, and snarl & bite of the 30's.

100's are a GT75 with a little more bottom... Hollow sounding IMO... Top & Bottom, and no mids.

Best,

Roid RAGE

Back