Unofficial Herbert +/- mod (no midi !)

duesentrieb

Well, here we go - it is so simple that everybody can do that. Best thing: fully reversable.

Open Herbie, put it upside down onto two books, pots facing you.

The +/- is in front of you.

one.jpg

On the other side of the chassis you see the second (farest left) 4 Ohm out. Cut both connections to the first 4 Ohm out (beware: this way you cannot hook two 8 Ohm cabs to Herbie - but if you don't want to drill, those jacks are an easy way to perform the mod)

two.jpg

Now solder a bicolor wire (unshielded is ok) to the switch and to the jack.
One wire to the middle of the switch --> ground of the jack
One wire to the right of the switch ---> hot of the jack

three.jpg

Thats all - you're done.

Now either use a standard footswitch or a midiswitcher (Nobels MS-4) or hook it to your footpedal which is able to do those switches (Nobels MF2, Behringer FCB, . . .) or to your G-Major or, or or . . .

The switch on the front should be set to "-" position then, if you are using an external swicher.

The mod hums a bit - I'm working on it, stay tuned . . . my guess is that shielded wire will do the trick or changing the ground to somewhere else . . .

hey i have a couple questions about the mod before i do it. im using the columbus footswitch. am i able to use that to switch the +/-. now say the mod isnt midi, say im using a regular footswitch for the mod and the columbus for the rest of the amp. if im on channel 3 and want to go to channel 2(-) would i just hit my regular footswitch? what determines whether you go to + or - ? if you can help let me know! im excited to do the mod!

You need a relais switch to activate the +/-. F.e. you can switch it with a G-Major or FCB1010.

Hi Olaf

Do you have any update on this mod? I am interested but only if the hum problem is solved. Also, does engaging the footswitch change the +/-. That is, if I am in Ch 1 and Ch 2 was previously on +, if I want to change to Ch 2 - via midi, is this possible?

Also, an unrelated question on Effects Loops for the Herbert. My understanding is that all 3 loops are independently functional. If so, in what order are they wired. For example, if I have reverb in the parallel and echo in the serial, am I getting a reverberated echo sound or an echo'd reverb sound!!??

Thanks

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I had no time to check the hum situation properly, but will do before my vacation (5th july).

If you want to switch over midi youi need a FX unit with a switchable out like TC Major or Rocktron Replifex or Multivalve - or buy something like a Nobels MS4 or from Axess Electronics.

I'll ask Peter about the loop positions and report back.

Hi Olaf

Did you have any luck with the Herbert +/- mod re hum? I am interested in trying this out on the weekend - should I purchase shielded cable? Would any cable do?

Thanks

Kurt

Hi Kurt, yes, use shielded wire (and a shielded cabke to the footswitch). I had no time yet, sorry. But if, then shielded.

so you cant use the diezel footswitch like the 7 button footswithch? you have to use a seperate 1 button footswitch or a midi switch?
will this mod work for the first generation herberts? do you have aschematic you could send me to give to my repair guy?

sorry for all the questions but i have been desperate to have a way to use that +/- toggle ever since i bought the amp a few years back. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

sorry for all the questions but i have been desperate to have a way to use that +/- toggle ever since i bought the amp a few years back. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

I know it's not as sexy as the Diezel footswitches or something like the Engl Z-12, but I picked up a Behringer FCB1010 to go with my Herbert. It handles all the midi assignable functions and it has 2 relays to toggle non midi switches. The relays can be programed along with any of the midi programs to throw the relay. With a mod like this, you could use one of the relays to flip the +/- switch and assign it to any of the stored programs. I've also modded my Behringer to use phantom power off the midi cable so it doesn't need a seperate power cable. For the $65 I paid for it on ebay, it really is working out great with the Herbert.

maybe it will be helpful for those who still wants to perform this mode

Attachments

• fvdd-min-min-min.png
    fvdd-min-min-min.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
Back