Hot Rodded Plexi tone, not TOO much compression, what is it?

mightyjoeyoungxnj

Hey dudes,

I'm still on the eternal tone search. I've concluded that I'm a Marshall guy. I love the midrange, punch, and bite. I'm going for a more hotrodded Plexi sound as opposed to a JCM 800. I currently practice with my band at an hourly space, but when we start gigging I want to be ready with an amp.

I want something with more gain than a stock Plexi, master volume, but still the feel and punch of the Plexi. I'm not into the voicing of the Splawns to be honest. I'd love a Cameron, but they seem to only pop up now and then.

Some possibilities:

-Roccaforte HG100
-Budda Superdrive 80

Insight, thoughts, and recommendations are appreciated!

-Joe

Splawn Quickrod...

I just noticed you said you didn't like the QR... but that's kind of what you're describing... LOL! :D

Thanks for the replies dudes.

Soldano was on the list as well! Most likely a used Avenger or SLO if I can stretch the pennies far enough. Not really looking to go a software route.

I'd LOVE a Wizard, but my pockets aren't deep enough unfortunately. :(

-Joe

My Straub wasn't too compressed...as long as you keep the gain boost under control. That was a KILLER amp!!!

Top Hat Emplexador for a good MV solution.

Or a plexi reissue, tube screamer and Ultimate Attenuator.

psychodave":7c6pb09u said:
Digital Jams":7c6pb09u said:
Grab a 1987x and have a Jose done to it.

Used Bray mod'd SLP or 1987x

Who is going to do the Jose to it?

I would have thought you had that down by now :D

I was thinking Trace could do it, pretty good sounding clips on youtube of his Jose.

The ONLY guy i would go to for Jose stuff.. other than Mark Cameron.. is Mike Fortin. He has plenty of experience with them from when he worked at KorgUSA, and he knows how to make big improvements on the Jose stuff to make it sound better and feel better to play.

Not sure if you tried this, but you already have a JCM800, set it up dark and hit it with an OD pedal. Play thru a cab with GB's and you should be good. Unless you just feel like buying something.

MrDan666":3i2cd0x0 said:
The ONLY guy i would go to for Jose stuff.. other than Mark Cameron.. is Mike Fortin. He has plenty of experience with them from when he worked at KorgUSA, and he knows how to make big improvements on the Jose stuff to make it sound better and feel better to play.

Did not know that!

Maybe I could bother Mike with my SLP when he shows up in LI in a few months :D

Kidding............would not ask that while he is visiting :)

shreder75":1kdq0cbn said:
you could always buy a mark IV and put it in a marshall replica headbox...

~giggle, snort, chuckle~

:D

I know I am missing the punch line here but what does a MK IV have to do with a Plexi?

plexrod_4.jpg

:)

Steve

Back