Hot Rodded Plexi tone, not TOO much compression, what is it?

sah5150":1d7h69xi said:
plexrod_4.jpg

:)

Steve

Clips or it didn't happen

psychodave":3sy6loh1 said:
Who is going to do the Jose to it?
The schematic is out there, not that hard to do it yourself. It was probably a good mod in the day, things have come a long way since then.....

Greazygeo":2wu1vqp6 said:
psychodave":2wu1vqp6 said:
The schematic is out there, not that hard to do it yourself. It was probably a good mod in the day, things have come a long way since then.....

Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating. His Jose's weren't "updated" or "improved upon". I don't know how to say this too nicely, but I don't know how these east coast guys have gotten their hands on a fair enough number of Jose's to determine which is a good sounding Jose and which isn't. When Jose was modding amps, there was no ebay and no gear forum classifieds. There was almost no way to get yourself a Jose mod if you lived in Chicago or New York or Tampa. It was like finding a unicorn. I don't know how or why a guy who worked at Korg, 3000 miles away from where Jose was modding amps would have seen a decent enough number of them to establish what constituted a good Jose and what didn't. Yeah, it's the same country but to put it in perspective, LA to NY is farther than London to Moscow. Not that many Jose's made it east before they had been "worked on" or "updated" by someone else.

You want a Jose type mod in a Marshall, I have to say you want an established, LA guy to do it:

Mark Cameron (you might have better luck finding that unicorn ;) Just kidding Mark)

Dave Friedman

Martin Golub - maintains Joe Holmes amps

As for east coast guys, no offense, but we won't tell them about how pizza should be made and they shouldn't talk to us about how many killer sounding, unmolested Jose's they've been inside of (uh oh, don barzini is going to LOVE that last sentence)

:LOL: :LOL:

Chubtone":2yh9cbq5 said:
Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating.

plexrod_1.jpg

plexrod_7.jpg

Steve

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

I'll look into Dave Friedman as well. thanks!

-Joe

mightyjoeyoungxnj":msianp9w said:

I forgot to mention that I got rid of the 800 but still have my Metro 50 watt build. If I could somehow hotrod this one, then maybe it would be a good solution.

In the meantime, I am going to soak in all the info that you guys have provided so far. I wonder if Bray would mod a Plexi clone such as mine. Hmmmm.

-Joe

Send your Metro to Bray, Voodoo or Friedman....problem solved!!!

AmpliFIRE":599s3fio said:
mightyjoeyoungxnj":599s3fio said:

-Joe

Send your Metro to Bray, Voodoo or Friedman....problem solved!!!

Might do that bro...:)

Wish Friedman had more info on his mods!

-Joe

The Landry LS100 does the rodded Plexi awesome.Factor in the great clean channel and killer bluesy crunch on the dirt channel before you kick in the high gain and you've got an extremely versatile beast.Hands down the best amp I've ever played and I've tried everything from Splawn,Bogner,Budda,Cameron modded Marshalls,stock Marshalls etc.

mightyjoeyoungxnj":1g92fj5t said:
Yeah I've seen the Landry's as well...They do look great!

I'm leaning towards a Bray Mod/Rework - II right now! Sounds awesome.

-Joe

Yeah his stuff sounds great to my ears. Not a super tight low end but great tone!

yngzaklynch":2uq5a0w1 said:
mightyjoeyoungxnj":2uq5a0w1 said:
Yeah I've seen the Landry's as well...They do look great!

I'm leaning towards a Bray Mod/Rework - II right now! Sounds awesome.

-Joe

Yeah his stuff sounds great to my ears. Not a super tight low end but great tone!

Might tighten it a bit with a tubescreamer...But I'm diggin' how the II sounds right now!

-Joe

You should check out the Elmwood Modena's - great amps. They might be a bit spendy, but they do pop up used now and again.

Good luck in the search!

Chubtone":xfshdbmk said:
Greazygeo":xfshdbmk said:
psychodave":xfshdbmk said:

Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating. His Jose's weren't "updated" or "improved upon". I don't know how to say this too nicely, but I don't know how these east coast guys have gotten their hands on a fair enough number of Jose's to determine which is a good sounding Jose and which isn't. When Jose was modding amps, there was no ebay and no gear forum classifieds. There was almost no way to get yourself a Jose mod if you lived in Chicago or New York or Tampa. It was like finding a unicorn. I don't know how or why a guy who worked at Korg, 3000 miles away from where Jose was modding amps would have seen a decent enough number of them to establish what constituted a good Jose and what didn't. Yeah, it's the same country but to put it in perspective, LA to NY is farther than London to Moscow. Not that many Jose's made it east before they had been "worked on" or "updated" by someone else.

You want a Jose type mod in a Marshall, I have to say you want an established, LA guy to do it:

Mark Cameron (you might have better luck finding that unicorn ;) Just kidding Mark)

Dave Friedman

As for east coast guys, no offense, but we won't tell them about how pizza should be made and they shouldn't talk to us about how many killer sounding, unmolested Jose's they've been inside of (uh oh, don barzini is going to LOVE that last sentence)

I forgot the quest for tone stopped in '78......send me some of that Kool aid!

Greazygeo":2lklyeyc said:
I forgot the quest for tone stopped in '78......send me some of that Kool aid!

Dude, I'm not one of those myopic VH fan boys. While I like his tone quite a bit, there are quite a few tones I like that came after that too. Most of which we agree on, Rhoads live tone, Le Tekro, Accept, both of us are pretty anti-Boogie too. But when the topic of conversation turns to Jose mods, well I was just commenting that Joe Holmes tone in 1995 which I believe is quite a bit later than '78, was the best live tone I have ever heard. So if we are talking SPECIFICALLY Jose mods than I don't think they NEED updating or improving or sending to the east coast for duplicating. That's all I was saying.

I'm not sending you any Kool Aid George. I will however send you some nice, new, white Nikes so we can both be ready when the Hale Bop comet comes.

Chubtone":36f67p3y said:

Dave Friedman

Hey Curt,

That's cool and i know what your saying. but the reason i mentioned how some of these guys can update them or get them sounding even better.. is because, from what i have been told by both Mark Cameron, Mike Fortin and a bunch of other techs too.. is that there were some killer sounding Jose's but there were more than the fair share which absolutely sucked and sounded flat out BAD.
It makes sense too because Jose didnt play guitar.. So i guess he would mod them and go by what they technically 'should' sound like.. not what they 'DO' actually sound like. As you know very well, Mark Cameron's stuff is always so good consistently because he personally plays the crap out of every single amp that he works on, just to make sure its all sounding/feeling its best.. Mike does the same thing too, he's another guy who plays his stuff in a ton and makes sure its 110% perfect before it leaves the shop. Because Jose didn't do this, its no surprise that some came out sounding mindblowing, and a bunch of em came out sounding like shit!

When i say about updating or improving a Jose.. it doesn't have to mean changing the tone drastically or anything. Its more a case of making the amp sound consistent, much lower noise, and improving reliability too. Obviously a Jose can easily be made to sound much higher gain or more modern like a Cameron.. But that isn't always neccesary IMO :) Sometimes a few simple tweaks in the circuit could bring it to life and sound better than it did!

Its obvious that many techs in LA will have had the chance to see a shitload of Jose mods.. but keep in mind, a ton of the LA bands would tour and play on the East coast. So i have no doubts that a lot of techs based on the East coast will have got to work on/service Jose mods (real untouched ones). :yes:

donbarzini":2b4tu263 said:
sah5150":2b4tu263 said:
Chubtone":2b4tu263 said:
Yeah, but have tones gotten any better with all these updates and the myriad of choices, seriously? Joe Holmes live tone with his Jose modded Marshalls was freaking devastating.

plexrod_1.jpg

plexrod_7.jpg

Steve

I don't hear anything.
You will though...

Steve

Back