Ex-Axe-Fx Owners?

rsm

OK, so I'm getting good results using my Vox ToneLab LE, Zoom G2 and my attempt with the RM4 hasn't worked out (selling and trading modules as I write this) but I plan to keep the RM4 rack unit, just in case!

The reason for the post is I sold my Axe-Fx Ultra awhile back. While the Ultra was overkill for my needs, I had sellers remorse as soon as I handed it to the UPS driver!

Anyone else owned an Axe-Fx regret selling theirs? :doh:

Well Axe-Fx GAS is coming back, and I'm seeing a Standard in my future once I have the funds. :bash:

What I really want is an Axe-Fx that has only the amp and cab sims, (well, and reverb) for about $1000. Even better in a 1U space. :inlove:

Cliff, if your watching, any chance on this?

I had one and sold it. It sounded good and I dug it, but every patch I created sounded about the same.....you know, just like on my real amps :LOL: :LOL:

I'd buy another one, but only if someone else will program that fucker for me :D

bummer the RM4 didn't work out. Did you try using an amp speaker sim like the pdi-09? I totally think you could of been/will be happy with a Standard, probally can find one a little over a grand.

Yeah...thanks for the thread. :LOL: :LOL: Now I've decided to give it another shot. If for nothing else, I need some great effects. :thumbsup:

The RM4 is a preamp, so I need a cab sim solution for the Bose L1 (FRFR). I considered the Palmer PDI-09, but that would be a partial solution compared to the Standard. I'm not sure how well it would work, but the price is right. I may try that yet.

I'm not sure if I could use the RM4 with a Standard? If so, aren't the connection methods more limited than the Ultra? (guess I need to RTFM (Read The F'n Manual)

I haven't given up on the RM4, in fact, I plan to keep it as an option that I could use with the Axe-Fx. Of course I may sell it off to get the Standard.

Audioholic, aren't you using the Axe-Fx with an RM4 or M4? Do you have the Standard or the Ultra? How do you connect them?

I was also reading another topic on the TC Electronics G-System which added to my Axe-Fx GAS! :loco:

I have an Axe FX standard, as far as I know, the I/o is the same on both units, either way, the Standard I/O is awesome. I don't use it with the RM4 much but sometimes either just for praticing quietly or trying out for clips, using just the cab sim. Its VERY simple connection. I just take the pre loop out from the RM4 into the axe fx input, either the front or back (just have to tell which one in the I/O) and walla. Just create a patch with a cab sim and whatever efx I want to use if any. Sounds pretty great actually!

I also have a G-system, and even though the axe fx has some great efx. I already have my main live sound efx programmed to perfection to me on my G-system, so I can even take my RM4 out, into the G-system, stereo out to stereo in on the AXE fx and just use the cab sims in stereo. once again, sounds surprisingly great. Though overkill I know.

I would seriously give the PDI-09 a try, unless you want to use fx, then invest again in an axe FX. though I don't feel the need to use the analog pre's with the axe, as I have programmed plenty of great patches in teh standard alone, but for my live rig, I could totally use the RM4 into axe fx with my G-system efx. and use the standard just for cab sims to go direct. Seems like overkill, but for live, I am very comforatable with my RM4 and G-system setup and patches already.. I like being able to switch Pre modules, while have either keeping it on the same efx, or switching the efx on the same module without having to worry about pre-programming every possible scenario you know.

I would look into the return policy with the PDI-09. I know the people at jams are pretty great. I bought an 04, and wasn't completely happy, so they sent me an 03 to compare side by side, in which I kept the 03 and returned the 04. Very nice people.

jcj":10wf60c8 said:
I had one and sold it. It sounded good and I dug it, but every patch I created sounded about the same.....you know, just like on my real amps :LOL: :LOL:

I'd buy another one, but only if someone else will program that fucker for me :D

I think I fall into this boat. I was never blown away by it, yet alot of people whose opinions I trust were blown away.

I was blown away by it, but I kept thinking I could do what I needed for much less money, so I got the ToneLab LE. This Vox is a great unit, and may work out in the end. But then, firmware 7+ comes out for the Axe-Fx, and a few clips I heard and reading about it again...the GAS is back, this time for a Standard. Add to that, that I could use the cab sims with my RM4 as an option like Audioholic is interesting. Then again, I may need to sell the RM4 to get the funds for the Standard. For now, its the ToneLab with a Standard on the top of my GAS list. RM4 will likely be going...watch me regret this eventually too! :loco:

Audioholic, thanks for confirming the config options of the Standard. After my post I started reading the new version of the Standard manual on the wiki.

Thanks for the assistance and thoughts.

What do used RM4's go for? I have a LE but no FRFR system to use with it. You are liking it enough to consider keeping that as the main rig though?

rsm":3gwcm3mh said:
What I really want is an Axe-Fx that has only the amp and cab sims, (well, and reverb) for about $1000. Even better in a 1U space. :inlove:

axe-fx_1.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: ...looks like something I would really buy!

cliffc8488":j7ml4bau said:
I've been toying around with this idea. My thought is just amps, cabs, delay and reverb. Maybe not even the cabs.

I think this would be a nice "entry level" product for the Fractal line that would have great appeal if the cost was right. IMO, of course....

fek":2pzx4rr2 said:
What do used RM4's go for? I have a LE but no FRFR system to use with it. You are liking it enough to consider keeping that as the main rig though?

Fek,
The clips of the RM4 (and M4) with stock and modified modules sound great to me, just doesn't work with my set-up. But it sounds good in those clips, so I'm a bit reluctant to sell it on the outside chance I may be able to use it someday :confused:

I'd like to be able to do what Audioholic said, and what RareGuitar is doing in his killer rig (at least some of what he can do with the Egnater M4 and Axe-Fx) combing the RM4 and the Axe-Fx, but I don't have the funds to do it all. I want another Axe-Fx, and can't really use the RM4 w/o power amp and cabs or amp/cab simulator (in my FRFR setup). If I had the Axe-Fx, I could use the Cab sims with the RM4 (as Audioholic stated). If I keep the RM4 then the wait for the Axe-Fx will be longer or indefinite...now I could try the Palmer PDI-09 with the RM4 and that is an under $200 option, but I'll still be GASing for the Axe-Fx.... :m9:

So I'm not be keeping it after all. I have a traded module on the way, see how this works, but in the end I will need to sell the RM4 to get funds for the Axe-Fx. I've already sold one module. Based on what I paid, going rates, etc. I'll sell my empty (no modules) RM4, with MIDI cable and footswitch for $400, I'm selling the modules I don't want for $100 each, buyer pays shipping. A package deal for what I have left is worth discussing too.

Ummmm, this post may need to get moved to the Gear Classifieds, up to the moderators.

Piero the Guitarero":2v7y3mmz said:
rsm":2v7y3mmz said:

axe-fx_1.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: ...looks like something I would really buy!

:yes: :thumbsup:

cliffc8488":3eudi1q9 said:
I've been toying around with this idea. My thought is just amps, cabs, delay and reverb. Maybe not even the cabs.

Sweet!
:inlove:

Oh, but I have an FRFR and would really want the amp and cab sims more than effects. Hmmm, here's a thought: maybe this amp & cab sim unit and a separate effects only unit? ;) These could be a modular version of the Ultra, in two units. Lowers the cost of entry into the Axe-Fx universe, as customers could purchase either one at a lower cost than a Standard or Ultra, but combined would cost more than an Ultra? The effects-only unit gives the "must have real tubes" crowd a way to understand/try the Axe-Fx effects...dunno? Just a thought...

But very happy to hear that you've considered a lighter version. If it would have all the amps and cabs of the Standard/Ultra, that would be the unit for me...if I can wait for it that is!

sad thing is, if it isn't going to be a reality, I know what is going to happen...I'm going to save for awhile, and once I get close or have the funds for the Standard, I'll end up buying another Ultra! :LOL: :LOL: :doh: :bash:

Thanks for sharing this info on this topic!

jcj":ba2vm3tz said:
Yeah...thanks for the thread. :LOL: :LOL: Now I've decided to give it another shot. If for nothing else, I need some great effects. :thumbsup:

:rock:

I remember when the ADA MP-1 was ubiquitous in guitar rigs. In a few years, with the renewed interest in racks, I bet we'll see the Axe-Fx in 2 out of 3 rigs, or more! :yes: Every time I hear new clips or reviews of the new firmware, it just gets better and which is amazing!

Cliff I bet doing just an EFX only version would be something that took off and see alot of use for a lower price point then the standard and give other efx units a huge run for the money. I am not sure about the just amp and cab version, sorry to say, but you never know. I guess you would have to make it super router simple, as the complexity of the standard may scare off some people who like very simple stuff and don't desire anything complicated and hence be the market for a super scaled down version??...

daver101":1l7x9k58 said:
jcj":1l7x9k58 said:

I think I fall into this boat. I was never blown away by it, yet alot of people whose opinions I trust were blown away.

I fall into the same boat as well. I was using the Axe for over a year, but just not as good as my amp. But very compact and versatile. Now I'm just using a SLO and Fish into a Palmer 03. Went back to my 2290 as well. Sounds wonderful. :rock:

cliffc8488":928sz46k said:

This is an axe fx I would buy for sure. :rock:

Back