Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

Got my 2nd degree black belts in my VOS LP and man they sound great. So clear and responsive, yet handle gain extremely well. The VOS is not a bright axe as my other standard was, so they work out great. Very pleased with them.

James Lugo":3jb1ect0 said:
The quest for tone continued today. I went down to Luxxtone in Arcadia and met with the owner Jerry, what a cool mofo. It was so refreshing to hang with someone inspired. Guys got a killer shop and a ton of boutique pickups, he also has a guitar set up that you can swap pickups in and out of in a few minutes. Went through a ton of pickups for my Goldtop. It was between the Wolfetone Timberwolf and the Bareknuckles Cold Sweat. The Cold Sweat sounded a bit darker and chunkier so I went for it to off set the brightness of my Goldtop. Took it back to the studio and played it for a while, really sounds good. That Cold Sweat is pretty evil sounding pickup but not to over the top. Real nice chunk and growl and sustain forever! In a similar vein to the WB Fire.

So:
Sunburst - Godwood
Goldtop - Cold Sweat
Black - Fire
Yellow - Rebel Yell

Here's Jerry's site, this guy is the real deal, he's also gonna help out on the amp shootout:
http://www.luxxtone.com/

So how do the Timberwolf and Cold Sweat compare to the Custon 5 you had. Is the Custom 5 brighter, less agressive, as articulate?
My LP is a bit on the bright side.

mesanatic":2ibvcpq3 said:
James Lugo":2ibvcpq3 said:
The quest for tone continued today. I went down to Luxxtone in Arcadia and met with the owner Jerry, what a cool mofo. It was so refreshing to hang with someone inspired. Guys got a killer shop and a ton of boutique pickups, he also has a guitar set up that you can swap pickups in and out of in a few minutes. Went through a ton of pickups for my Goldtop. It was between the Wolfetone Timberwolf and the Bareknuckles Cold Sweat. The Cold Sweat sounded a bit darker and chunkier so I went for it to off set the brightness of my Goldtop. Took it back to the studio and played it for a while, really sounds good. That Cold Sweat is pretty evil sounding pickup but not to over the top. Real nice chunk and growl and sustain forever! In a similar vein to the WB Fire.

So:
Sunburst - Godwood
Goldtop - Cold Sweat
Black - Fire
Yellow - Rebel Yell

Here's Jerry's site, this guy is the real deal, he's also gonna help out on the amp shootout:
http://www.luxxtone.com/

So how do the Timberwolf and Cold Sweat compare to the Custon 5 you had. Is the Custom 5 brighter, less agressive, as articulate?
My LP is a bit on the bright side.

Not sure, I'm in a bit of a tone haze right now. I think the Timberwolf may be a bit brighter then the Cold Sweat. Both are great pickups, both seemed more focused then the Custom 5. The SD seemed raunchier which is cool too. I went with the Cold Sweat cuz it wasn't as bright on leads as the Timberwolf and my Goldtop's brightness is what I'm trying to offset. I think the Timberwolf in a more neutral Paul would be awesome.

That's good to know, my LP's a bit bright too.
Is there a big difference between the Rebel Yell and Cold Sweat?
I don't hear much on any sound clips I've heard. Supposedly the Rebel Yell cleans up better but I use my 57 neck for that anyway.

mesanatic":333q30aw said:
I don't hear much on any sound clips I've heard. Supposedly the Rebel Yell cleans up better but I use my 57 neck for that anyway.

The Rebel Yell has an Alnico V magnet, the Cold Sweat are ceramic. So the Rebel Yell cleans up a little better, as Alnico magnets always do. The Rebel Yell is a little more raw and organic sounding, the Cold Sweat is more focused in the mids and sounds tighter and chugs a little better. Both are truly great pickups, just different flavors.

luxxtone":37dgqa31 said:
mesanatic":37dgqa31 said:

The Rebel Yell has an Alnico V magnet, the Cold Sweat are ceramic. So the Rebel Yell cleans up a little better, as Alnico magnets always do. The Rebel Yell is a little more raw and organic sounding, the Cold Sweat is more focused in the mids and sounds tighter and chugs a little better. Both are truly great pickups, just different flavors.

I think that's it exactly.

James Lugo":34cqf8fj said:
Hey everyone, we're done I'm cleaning up and bouncing music and uploading audio and video. We didn't get to everything, it just got to late but we did do I think 23 pups. I made sure I did at least one pup from everyone that sent one. I should have everything up soon and then I have to go home and sleep, this has been insane to say the least. Pete Thorn came by to lend his ears to the shootout.... Now dig it! lol

IMG_2077.jpg

What amp is used in this heavy clip? Sounds great!

Oops, I read through the entire post and found everything. I might be ordering the CD, I checked that SoundClick page and couldn't hear a difference through computer speakers. :(

I have a black LP with a Timbrewolf. This is my darker, heavier sounding LP, not as 3-D sounding as my burst. I was told by others it sounds perfect in this LP although you have me intereted in the Cold Sweat.

My burst LP has had everything in it......and I think the Rio BBQ and Godwood sounded best. The Torque also really good in this one. Right now I have a Guitar Force custom made Rebel-Fire and it is nice but I may go back to the GW. This LP is brighter and 3-D. The GW is darker to my ears.

My PRS CE-22 has stock Dragons and can be harsh....hmmmmmmm....but needs to split well and work with the 5 way rotary unless I ditch it. Any thoughts? Was told the Afwayu will be good here.

I have a 1989 SG with stock Bill Lawrence pickups at the time. They are really nice but sometimes seem less than clear/articulate. Maybe 2nd degree BBs here. This guitar sounds big!

Fat strat on the way. :)

richedie":11gngsmw said:
Oops, I read through the entire post and found everything. I might be ordering the CD, I checked that SoundClick page and couldn't hear a difference through computer speakers. :(

I have a black LP with a Timbrewolf. This is my darker, heavier sounding LP, not as 3-D sounding as my burst. I was told by others it sounds perfect in this LP although you have me intereted in the Cold Sweat.

My burst LP has had everything in it......and I think the Rio BBQ and Godwood sounded best. The Torque also really good in this one. Right now I have a Guitar Force custom made Rebel-Fire and it is nice but I may go back to the GW. This LP is brighter and 3-D. The GW is darker to my ears.

My PRS CE-22 has stock Dragons and can be harsh....hmmmmmmm....but needs to split well and work with the 5 way rotary unless I ditch it. Any thoughts? Was told the Afwayu will be good here.

I have a 1989 SG with stock Bill Lawrence pickups at the time. They are really nice but sometimes seem less than clear/articulate. Maybe 2nd degree BBs here. This guitar sounds big!

A Suhr Aldrich might be nice in the PRS. Not harsh at all and very open for being such a hot pickup, it's 4-conductor also....so it should work with a standard 5-way rotary. Make sure the rotary switch is not the kind with a circuit board that is set up for a 3-wire split...some are and it may be an issue.

Yes, it uses the three wire split. Can't you just wire the two wires for splitting to the one lug?

luxxtone":1n98wo00 said:
richedie":1n98wo00 said:

A Suhr Aldrich might be nice in the PRS. Not harsh at all and very open for being such a hot pickup, it's 4-conductor also....so it should work with a standard 5-way rotary. Make sure the rotary switch is not the kind with a circuit board that is set up for a 3-wire split...some are and it may be an issue.

How is the C-5? I hear because it is rather scooped, it can lack mids and sound thin.....no fat lead tones....any thoughts?

James, can you give a quick run down on the difference between the Gibson 498T, Wolfetone Timbre Wolf, and BK Cold Sweat? Thanks man!

By the way....anyonw wanting a Godwood type pickup for less money? Ask Wade at Motor City pikcups for a Detroiter or Kevin at Guitar Force for a Rebel Fire.

Depending on the pickup maker, it can split the wrong side of the coil if you wire the 2 splits together into the one lug on the circuit board. Not always a problem, but it can be. I've run into a situation where then you can re-wire it to split the correct side and then it's out-of-phase with the neck pickup.

richedie":a190d8rs said:
James, can you give a quick run down on the difference between the Gibson 498T, Wolfetone Timbre Wolf, and BK Cold Sweat? Thanks man!

All really good. I went with a Cold Sweat for my Goldtop, it off set the brightness of the guitar. The Cold Sweat is a badass pup for heavy rock and leads, I love it!

Thanks man! You know, I think the Godwood is one of the best humbuckers, period. I used that one in my burst for hard rock and modern heavy rock no problem! Really versatile. Heck there is a metal dude who uses the Icebucker for his main guitars and that is a tweaked Godwood. The newer Godwoods are close to the Icebucker. It CAN do it all. :)

James Lugo":a9lxfg8c said:
richedie":a9lxfg8c said:

All really good. I went with a Cold Sweat for my Goldtop, it off set the brightness of the guitar. The Cold Sweat is a badass pup for heavy rock and leads, I love it!

I love the Godwood in my PRS...what delineates a new Godwood (that you say is close to the Icebucker)?

richedie":3n36w57e said:
Thanks man! You know, I think the Godwood is one of the best humbuckers, period. I used that one in my burst for hard rock and modern heavy rock no problem! Really versatile. Heck there is a metal dude who uses the Icebucker for his main guitars and that is a tweaked Godwood. The newer Godwoods are close to the Icebucker. It CAN do it all. :)

James Lugo":3n36w57e said:
richedie":3n36w57e said:

se7en":1egsehv2 said:
I love the Godwood in my PRS...what delineates a new Godwood (that you say is close to the Icebucker)?

The older ones were called Goodwoods. Jim tweaked them and made them a little hotter, then renamed them Godwoods.

Back