Is this the first Herbert ever made???

michael_ibrahim

I just picked up a Herbert in an amp trade. The power tubes in there were quite old, so I went to change them opened the amp up to bias is, and found a handwritten note on the PCB which said "I'm the first one :)"

Is this legit? This particular amp has no serial number, and a red faceplate, with no +/- switch on C2.

I'm very excited,.... firstly that this amp sounds insane,... and secondly at the propect that this could be a significant herbert!

Lucky bugger!

Gratz dude.

I'm actually amazed Peter sold it on, if I were him the first of every type would be on my stack.

I'll get some pics for you next week.

Yes, that amp is incredibly tight. I don't know if there is any difference with later Herberts, but this amp responds in the opposite to every other amp I've played. At 5 gain on the 3rd channel, there's a good healthy amount of gain. But as you turn the gain up, not only do you get a lot more saturation, but the amp actually tighens up! Every other amp gets looser the more gain is added. Most amps get so loose that the last 25% of the gain taper is really useless.

My hat off to you Peter! Bloody brilliant!

I wonder if later herberts are this tight?

Here's the inscription.

Attachments

• Dscf1169.jpg
    Dscf1169.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,216
rareguitar":2wjwar0v said:
Wouldn't it be written in German? :confused:

Yeah I know.

I was hoping Peter could shed some light on the legitimacy of this amp's history. Dunno,...

I will take some more photos tomorrow if I get the chance.

Congradulations! :rock:

However, that phrase could also be interpreted to mean..."I'm the first one...of many more Diezel amps you will own.

Works for me! :LOL: :LOL:

Enjoy that choice find, Michael. :cheers: :2thumbsup:

Here ya go!

Notice the numbering on the controls

Attachments

• Dscf1173.jpg
    Dscf1173.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Dscf1175.jpg
    Dscf1175.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,247
  • Dscf1174.jpg