Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Nov 27, 2014 8:06pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 11:48am 
Luxxtone

richedie wrote:
Oops, I read through the entire post and found everything. I might be ordering the CD, I checked that SoundClick page and couldn't hear a difference through computer speakers. :(

I have a black LP with a Timbrewolf. This is my darker, heavier sounding LP, not as 3-D sounding as my burst. I was told by others it sounds perfect in this LP although you have me intereted in the Cold Sweat.

My burst LP has had everything in it......and I think the Rio BBQ and Godwood sounded best. The Torque also really good in this one. Right now I have a Guitar Force custom made Rebel-Fire and it is nice but I may go back to the GW. This LP is brighter and 3-D. The GW is darker to my ears.

My PRS CE-22 has stock Dragons and can be harsh....hmmmmmmm....but needs to split well and work with the 5 way rotary unless I ditch it. Any thoughts? Was told the Afwayu will be good here.

I have a 1989 SG with stock Bill Lawrence pickups at the time. They are really nice but sometimes seem less than clear/articulate. Maybe 2nd degree BBs here. This guitar sounds big!

Fat strat on the way. :)

A Suhr Aldrich might be nice in the PRS. Not harsh at all and very open for being such a hot pickup, it's 4-conductor also....so it should work with a standard 5-way rotary. Make sure the rotary switch is not the kind with a circuit board that is set up for a 3-wire split...some are and it may be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 12:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

here is my clip of the motorcity 2nd degree blackbelt and my plexi..
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093

best pickup i have played...

My Vanhalen sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL4JQQ21Qs

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04, 2009 1:29pm 
Supah Stah

Yes, it uses the three wire split. Can't you just wire the two wires for splitting to the one lug?

luxxtone wrote:
richedie wrote:
Oops, I read through the entire post and found everything. I might be ordering the CD, I checked that SoundClick page and couldn't hear a difference through computer speakers. :(

I have a black LP with a Timbrewolf. This is my darker, heavier sounding LP, not as 3-D sounding as my burst. I was told by others it sounds perfect in this LP although you have me intereted in the Cold Sweat.

My burst LP has had everything in it......and I think the Rio BBQ and Godwood sounded best. The Torque also really good in this one. Right now I have a Guitar Force custom made Rebel-Fire and it is nice but I may go back to the GW. This LP is brighter and 3-D. The GW is darker to my ears.

My PRS CE-22 has stock Dragons and can be harsh....hmmmmmmm....but needs to split well and work with the 5 way rotary unless I ditch it. Any thoughts? Was told the Afwayu will be good here.

I have a 1989 SG with stock Bill Lawrence pickups at the time. They are really nice but sometimes seem less than clear/articulate. Maybe 2nd degree BBs here. This guitar sounds big!

Fat strat on the way. :)

A Suhr Aldrich might be nice in the PRS. Not harsh at all and very open for being such a hot pickup, it's 4-conductor also....so it should work with a standard 5-way rotary. Make sure the rotary switch is not the kind with a circuit board that is set up for a 3-wire split...some are and it may be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 7:32am 
Supah Stah

How is the C-5? I hear because it is rather scooped, it can lack mids and sound thin.....no fat lead tones....any thoughts?

James, can you give a quick run down on the difference between the Gibson 498T, Wolfetone Timbre Wolf, and BK Cold Sweat? Thanks man!

By the way....anyonw wanting a Godwood type pickup for less money? Ask Wade at Motor City pikcups for a Detroiter or Kevin at Guitar Force for a Rebel Fire.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 11:31am 
Luxxtone

Depending on the pickup maker, it can split the wrong side of the coil if you wire the 2 splits together into the one lug on the circuit board. Not always a problem, but it can be. I've run into a situation where then you can re-wire it to split the correct side and then it's out-of-phase with the neck pickup.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 12:57pm 
Supah Stah

richedie wrote:

James, can you give a quick run down on the difference between the Gibson 498T, Wolfetone Timbre Wolf, and BK Cold Sweat? Thanks man!

All really good. I went with a Cold Sweat for my Goldtop, it off set the brightness of the guitar. The Cold Sweat is a badass pup for heavy rock and leads, I love it!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 9:33pm 
Supah Stah

Thanks man! You know, I think the Godwood is one of the best humbuckers, period. I used that one in my burst for hard rock and modern heavy rock no problem! Really versatile. Heck there is a metal dude who uses the Icebucker for his main guitars and that is a tweaked Godwood. The newer Godwoods are close to the Icebucker. It CAN do it all. :)

James Lugo wrote:
richedie wrote:

All really good. I went with a Cold Sweat for my Goldtop, it off set the brightness of the guitar. The Cold Sweat is a badass pup for heavy rock and leads, I love it!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 9:39pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I love the Godwood in my PRS...what delineates a new Godwood (that you say is close to the Icebucker)?

richedie wrote:
Thanks man! You know, I think the Godwood is one of the best humbuckers, period. I used that one in my burst for hard rock and modern heavy rock no problem! Really versatile. Heck there is a metal dude who uses the Icebucker for his main guitars and that is a tweaked Godwood. The newer Godwoods are close to the Icebucker. It CAN do it all. :)

James Lugo wrote:
richedie wrote:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 9:54pm 
Journeyman NOOB

richedie wrote:
Heck there is a metal dude who uses the Icebucker for his main guitars...

You're speaking about JS, right?

Larry

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 05, 2009 10:55pm 
Luxxtone

se7en wrote:
I love the Godwood in my PRS...what delineates a new Godwood (that you say is close to the Icebucker)?

The older ones were called Goodwoods. Jim tweaked them and made them a little hotter, then renamed them Godwoods.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 06, 2009 12:31pm 
Supah Stah

Right on guys. With the Godwood in a Les Paul, it can do anything, very versatile indeed.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 5:48pm 
Supah Stah

I will get flamed for saying this but one of my favorite humbucker sets for a Gibson is the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups "the original" made for Gibsons in 88 and 89! Love those!

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 9:37pm 
Rock God

I've got the 2nd degree blackbelt from this shootout in my Les Paul, and all I can say is WOW!!!

After trying out dozens of pickups throughout the years, I think my search is finally over. It's clear, balanced, percussive and very 3D sounding

:rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 10:02pm 
Supah Stah

AmpliFIRE wrote:
I've got the 2nd degree blackbelt from this shootout in my Les Paul, and all I can say is WOW!!!

After trying out dozens of pickups throughout the years, I think my search is finally over. It's clear, balanced, percussive and very 3D sounding

:rock:

What's the output on that pickup????? Nice when you find the tone. I ended my search in Gibsons with the Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups, love em to death, clean to heavy.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 15, 2009 10:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:rock: I have been away from here from a wile, and I just found this. Thanks so much for doing this. I have been a big fan of the WCR Ironman for a couple of years now. I was actually the first one to buy the bridge with the matching neck!! I am thinking about putting that pup in my Gutierrez, and finding something else for my Ibanez. This will help a lot with that process!!!!

If you ever do an amp shoot out PM me, I have a 20 watt Peters that is killer!!!!

Ryan

EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Forte 3D 1x12 cabs with Jensen Electric Lightening x 2

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 16, 2009 1:11am 
Immortal Rock God

GuitarGuyLP wrote:
:rock: I have been away from here from a wile, and I just found this. Thanks so much for doing this. I have been a big fan of the WCR Ironman for a couple of years now. I was actually the first one to buy the bridge with the matching neck!! I am thinking about putting that pup in my Gutierrez, and finding something else for my Ibanez. This will help a lot with that process!!!!

If you ever do an amp shoot out PM me, I have a 20 watt Peters that is killer!!!!

Ryan

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48500

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 16, 2009 6:34am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:doh: I am a bit late.

Thanks for the link

EVH 5150 III 50 watt

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 16, 2009 12:40pm 
Immortal Rock God

I like your avatar.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 16, 2009 1:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Thanks, I love the funny pics. I have a few hundred of them on my computer such as...

I have been on that motifake.com page all day!!!!

EVH 5150 III 50 watt

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 09, 2009 3:32pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

i'm liking the WCR iron man, really thick.

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 24, 2009 7:51pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I am totally stuck between the Second Degree Black Belt and the Godwood..... Price difference is like $100 for a single.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2013 9:35am 
Rock God

:lol: :LOL:

“You think health care is expensive now, wait until it’s free!”

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that AS A GOVERNMENT GROWS, LIBERTY DECREASES." -Gerald Ford

"If you think becoming educated is difficult, try being stupid!!" - Death by Uberschall

Current amps:
Bogner Uberschall (Rev2), Blackstar HT-5, Carvin Tube 100, Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1957), HiWatt DR504, Marshall 9100, Mesa Dual Rec (#654/RevF/MkIII trans/chrm chas/blck dia), Mesa RoadKing (red croc), Mesa Tri-Axis/2:90, Randall RG80, Rivera K-Tre', Soldano SLO (chrm croc, dpth md), Spiegel 603a

Click Me-> Tapping into Voodoo Phull Phaser <-Click Me

Amp GOD Warning: Death by Uberschall hurts like a MOFO!!
The Amp GOD Chronicles (EBAY idiots!!)

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 06, 2013 4:08pm 
Immortal Rock God

Death by Uberschall wrote:
+1

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 2:11pm 
Hack

Once you understand what the differences in pickup sound really stem from, and can locate manufacturers that really know how to utilize the factors which shape that sound, you will begin to understand why there is no need to spend a lot of money on pickups. There are ~$50 pickups that perform better in every respect than those costing several times that. The same thing is true for cables, and even solid body guitars. The sound going into the first preamp stage is a result of all the combined factors before it.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 6:32pm 
Rock God

I'll bite...what are these ~$50 pickups?

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 6:46pm 
Hack

Off the top of my head, I'd say Wilde and DiMarzio. Wilde are the late Bill Lawrence's designs, who designed pickups and a guitar for Framus back in the early 50's. He was also Larry DiMarzio's pickup mentor back in the early 70's, and chief engineer at Gibson Guitars, Nashville for over a decade. There is no reason to believe any of the very expensive pickups on the market are necessarily any better than something from Artech, GFS, or any of the many other inexpensive independent offerings out there -- no logical reason whatsoever. I can elaborate specifically on almost every aspect of why, but you need to understand some physical principles about how pickups and passive circuitry work, and be willing to disregard previously conceived false notions.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 11:37pm 
Rock God

:checkthisout:

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that AS A GOVERNMENT GROWS, LIBERTY DECREASES." -Gerald Ford

"If you think becoming educated is difficult, try being stupid!!" - Death by Uberschall

Current amps:
Bogner Uberschall (Rev2), Blackstar HT-5, Carvin Tube 100, Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1957), HiWatt DR504, Marshall 9100, Mesa Dual Rec (#654/RevF/MkIII trans/chrm chas/blck dia), Mesa RoadKing (red croc), Mesa Tri-Axis/2:90, Randall RG80, Rivera K-Tre', Soldano SLO (chrm croc, dpth md), Spiegel 603a

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 11:47pm 

I am in. When is this shootout.

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 25, 2014 11:49pm 
Rock God

Mailman1971 wrote:
I am in. When is this shootout.

Current amps:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8