Opinions Mesa Boogie C90 Speaker?

thegame":1cs6jhmj said:
I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:

Never heard the G12-80's, can you describe how they compare to the CL80's and MC90's. I am a big CL80 fan overall :)

blackba":398wjywj said:
thegame":398wjywj said:
I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:

Never heard the G12-80's, can you describe how they compare to the CL80's and MC90's. I am a big CL80 fan overall :)

Don't have much experience with MC90s, thats why I'm trying to find out more about them.

CL80s are a continuation of the original 80w speakers, not a reissue by any means. Compared to CL80s (which I hated at first, but warmed up to after I really cranked them), they both have that clean, accurate quality, but the old ones have alot more British sounding midrange, very very in your face. So in your face that I did not like them in my front loaded cab, while the CL80 was fine in there.

Its just very bold, with a bit of that EV brassy hardness to it. Its the only Celestion I've tried that is more aggressive in the mids than a V30, but it has loads more top and bottom than any V30.

Thats why I'm hoping the MC90 will be close to it, as many accounts say the MC90 and old 80 watter are much closer to each other than either is to the CL80.

thegame":1qqcccnu said:
Don't have much experience with MC90s, thats why I'm trying to find out more about them.

CL80s are a continuation of the original 80w speakers, not a reissue by any means. Compared to CL80s (which I hated at first, but warmed up to after I really cranked them), they both have that clean, accurate quality, but the old ones have alot more British sounding midrange, very very in your face. So in your face that I did not like them in my front loaded cab, while the CL80 was fine in there.

Its just very bold, with a bit of that EV brassy hardness to it. Its the only Celestion I've tried that is more aggressive in the mids than a V30, but it has loads more top and bottom than any V30.

Thats why I'm hoping the MC90 will be close to it, as many accounts say the MC90 and old 80 watter are much closer to each other than either is to the CL80.

I have a pair of MC90s I can bring up with me when we get together if you'd like. That would give you a chance to hear them side by side with your G12-80s. I'd be curious to hear that as well.

mincy":3vqk2hn8 said:
I have a pair of MC90s I can bring up with me when we get together if you'd like. That would give you a chance to hear them side by side with your G12-80s. I'd be curious to hear that as well.

Yes ! I was going to ask you that, cool :thumbsup:

My friend says Sun Dec 13 is good. Let's shoot for the same time. If you have a different time preference, let me know.

thegame":3smb7je1 said:
Yes ! I was going to ask you that, cool :thumbsup:

My friend says Sun Dec 13 is good. Let's shoot for the same time. If you have a different time preference, let me know.

Works for me.

It'sa very balanced speaker that's great for cleans to mid and even high gain. The Electradyne 1X12 combo uses it and it's a big part of the tone. Of course it works better with some amps than others and the only way to find out of you like it is to try it with your amp, not listening to a bunch of guys on message boards telling you how great or bad it is, so don't take my word for it. Just do it.

Back