Speaker Battle: V30 vs G12K-100

RoidRage":3h37yh0k said:
100's are a GT75 with a little more bottom... Hollow sounding IMO... Top & Bottom, and no mids.

Best,

Roid RAGE

I've tried K100s again since my initial post almost 2 years ago. You're right, hollow is the best word to describe the K100s. I'm not interested in them at all anymore.

thegame":3angqmug said:
RoidRage":3angqmug said:
100's are a GT75 with a little more bottom... Hollow sounding IMO... Top & Bottom, and no mids.

Best,

Roid RAGE

I've tried K100s again since my initial post almost 2 years ago. You're right, hollow is the best word to describe the K100s. I'm not interested in them at all anymore.

Yep. I bought a quad, played them for a few months and then sold the quad. Hollow is right. Great bottom end and very tight, but definitely hollow. I didn't like the roll off of the high end on the speaker either. Decent mid range, but definitely lacking in character. I found I like the Mesa C90s better than the K100 and I still complain the C90s lack character. I've got C90s and V30s mixed in my Road King cab and it's a pretty solid combination, overall.

mincy":2s38js94 said:
I found I like the Mesa C90s better than the K100 and I still complain the C90s lack character.

Yes, the C90s are much better than K100s IMO, but still not as sweet as the you know whats. When they arrive, feel free to test drive them any which way you please :thumbsup:

Just gotta chime in here... Been a while, been sluttin' around on the Bogner side of things (ya ya, I'm playing both sides... Uberschall is awesome) BUT!!! I just have to say, I was using a RL 4x12 Diezel loaded with G12H 70th Anniversary Edition cones and then I picked up a new FL G12K-100 cabinet, and hands down, the new FL cabs with the G12K's impress me intensely. The things I love about them are they are VERY 3D, the cleans sound better than previous V30 cabs and definitely the previous Diezel cab loaded with this G12H's, as for break up - I played a lot with my depth and presence EQ (VH4S, new) and I found these 2 controls were the key to unleashing the potency of the G12K-100's...

So, just my 2 cents worth. If I could, I'd have every cab and amp in the world, but I don't. So my VH4S through FL G12K100 4x12's is VERY versatile, rich, toneful, and ya, bloody loud and powerful. My other rig is a TJ Uberschall, new, with a matching UberKab 4x12 (X patterned with G12T-75 and V30's) and between the 2, I've always found the tone I yearn for.

Peace,
V. :rock:

My Diezel FL cab with G12K100's is supposed to be here tomorrow. Should be interesting since I've ran my Herbert through V30's, Greenbacks, and P50s.

Just got my FL G12K100 cab a little while ago and have mixed feelings.

It seems to lack some bottom end when compared to my Framus Cobra 412 cab with Greenbacks.. :confused: The adjustment seems to be mostly in the deep and presence knobs with this cab. I can see where a couple of you say that the 100's sound a little hollow. The mid range could definitely use some more bite.

I think I am learning that I like that mid rangy "bite" that V30's have. They seem to really pronounce the picking attack on the palm mutes.

Looks like I'm going to have to try out V30's and 100's in an "X" Anyone have a pair of Vintage 30's for sale? :)

Also, what are the characteristics of the 100's when they are not broken in? I did buy my cab used, from Pauly, but I don't think he put a lot of hours on it.

It would be nice to hear from Peter or Duolos here as not that long ago, the new FL 4x12 loaded with G12K-100's was to be the epitome of sonic bliss matched to a completely re-engineered cabinet specifically designed for these new cones...

Are we finding they're too sterile? Too 'hollow'? Lacking character? And if so, what do the Powers That Be think of X patterning their beloved G12K's with V30's in a FL cab?? Anyone?? What's happening here folks...!!

V. :dunno:

I have just spent the last 5 hours playing through this new cab. :bash:

Conclusions I have arrived to....

1. The bass is very touchy. I usually run a lot of bass, I like to feel a good riff. AS I work the bass and deep knobs, I've either got nearly no bass or I've got too much that "flubs" out. As soon as I get the bass set right, just changing to a different guitar or tuning seems to change the bass response completely and I am back to knob tweaking.

2. This cab seems to sound boxy to me. If I close my eyes, I'd think I was playing through a 2x12 cab. I think part of this is due to the mid range on these speakers. I found myself rolling my mids off more and more tying to get a less "midy","boxy" sound out of the tone.
Removing my Herbert and trying out my Powerball gave similar results. Found myself rolling off the mids. I believe this must be what you guys consider "hollow" sounding?

I think I am going to try an X with a pair of V30's, if I can find a pair cheap. If I don't like that combo either than I guess I will try Greenbacks in this cab. I really like the tight bass, smooth mids, and not much tonal variance regardless of volume with the Greenbacks.

The cabinet is awesome, very sturdy and attractive, but not the tonal qualities I was expecting. :confused:

Good post RJF... Just one point of clarification - are you talking about the new 4x12 FL loaded with G12K100's..??

Interesting. I've heard that V30's in a FL config over a RL config change a lot in their typical grunt, growl and spectrum. The G12K100's are solid - I find them robust, very 3D, and linear - but this linearity sometimes seems "sterile". I find V30's, or G12H's or even Greenbacks are more 'organic' sounding. But this is where I've been finding sweetspots with Presence & Depth. You say you're using a Herbie? That might be it too - Herbies are hi-gain beasts that tend to come delivered already a bit pre-scooped (in my humble opinion).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the search for the omnipotent 'tone'. :doh:

V.

NOTE: I did a re-read of your previous post...yes, you're using the FL new cab - cool. I HAVE heard that the more the G12K's break in, the sweeter, browner and more rich they sound. Again, would be great to hear some thoughts by Peter, Peter and Duolos here.

Woke up this morning, fired up the Herbert, and still dislike the 100's. :thumbsdown:

Just found a Crate Blue Voodoo cab for sale locally, if it still has the stock V30's I'm going to grab it. Then, pull the speakers, and then do the world a favor and junk the cab. :LOL: :LOL:

Ventura":vaw2esoy said:
And if so, what do the Powers That Be think of X patterning their beloved G12K's with V30's in a FL cab?? Anyone?? What's happening here folks...!!

V. :dunno:
V30s will never die. They are the mainstay and industry standard for all forms of rock and metal. There's been more rock and metal albums/CD hits recorded with V30s than any other Celestion.

With all this RL & FL speak going around, I wonder if it's feasible, doable or even practical to have a single 4x12 cab that would have a mix of both two RL speakers & two FL speakers in the same cab.

Ventura":e8z9lscf said:
Herbies are hi-gain beasts that tend to come delivered already a bit pre-scooped (in my humble opinion).
Hey V. I will have to agree to disagree. Yes Herbie can be just a hi-gain beast if one parks themselves on CH3 ad infinitum. Then the users would be missing the point of Herbert. Herbert is far more than a hi-gain beast. I don't know how you conclude the pre-scooped conclusion, mine certainly is not.
There’s other channels which Herbie also comes with, they've got very cool handy knobs. ;)

RJF":1r1kpr6f said:
Woke up this morning,...
I was expecting:

"and dragged a comb across my head...
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup?
And looking up, i noticed i was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
Somebody spoke and i went into a dream

Ah..."

Herbie's other channels and handy knobs....
:aww:

Oh hell ya, I know...I KNOW!!! That was taken kinda the wrong way...I'm just saying the Herbie's 'industry' claim to fame is its potency in the hi-gain arena of amps. And in that arena with what it is equipped with, it is somewhat scooped (but completely EQ'able as well). I am not saying at all it's a one trick pony. Not at all... I know Herbie and I know Uberschall, and they're a lot a like in many ways.

Anyway - I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'....you know what I'm sayin'?

V.

Ventura":3m9ih9ex said:
Herbie's other channels and handy knobs....
Anyway - I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'....you know what I'm sayin'?

V.
V. I fully understand I was just :poke: you.
You know what I'm saying, because I'm just saying that it's just what I'm saying without saying what I'm saying to :doh:you, know what I'm saying?

I was noodling around the Interweb this evening and came across this vid of a shoot-out between the Celestion V30 vs G12H-30 vs G12T-75 vs G12K-100.
To my ears the T-75 & K-100 sound nearly the same - the K-100 just may have a bit more output. Switch between 0:39 for the T-75 & 1:20 for the K-100 and you judge for yourself.

IMO - V30!

I have a new found love for the straight FL 4x12 G12K100 cab. It sounds -way- better with my Herbert than my straight ENGL Vintage V30 ever did. No matter the sounds: clean, crunch, chug, leads. And it's also a lot easier on my back :LOL: :LOL:
And I also happen to think that that ENGL cab is one of the best V30 cabs out there.
That being said, I haven't tried the new Diezel FL V30, so that might be a different beast altogether. I'm just gonna have to buy more cabs :rock:
I still wanna try my amp with an Orange 16ohm V30 cab again, that was the best I've heard with it previously...but maybe my ears are just being nostalgic ;)
However, I think I have concluded that with the Herbert, you don't want to have speaker distortion...and remember this is the most powerful output stage of any guitar amp to my knowledge (well maybe Orange RV 200W as well?)...so bring on some proper load resistance and it will sound its best when you put the master at noon :thumbsup:

I just can't get the bass response to come up and can't EQ out a "boxy" sound. I will say, if I turn the master up far enough to kill small animals that are in close proximity, then it starts sounding better, but jeesh.... better keep a bottle of aspirin near the amp for my ringing head! :doh: I think these speakers are just too big for my liking. I need a lower wattage speaker that starts moving and responding better at a lower volume.

Still working on that BLue Voodoo cab, first I'll try an X, then move to replacing all 4, unless I think the X is great.

axeman81":21elxrzj said:
However, I think I have concluded that with the Herbert, you don't want to have speaker distortion...and remember this is the most powerful output stage of any guitar amp to my knowledge (well maybe Orange RV 200W as well?)...so bring on some proper load resistance and it will sound its best when you put the master at noon :thumbsup:
I think Peter knows what he's doing when he chose V30s. V30s are much more harmonically rich than the sterile T-75 and K-100. It’s abundantly clear from the shoot-out. And early distortion is not that noticeable in the V30 (I like!), you’re hearing the rich tone that marries very well with all Diezel amplifiers.

About seven years ago I had an Ampeg VH140C stack loaded with T-75s. It sounded fairly good because the VH140C is solid state. I’ll never forget the day a friend joined my band at rehearsal and he brought a Marshall stack, two 1960BVs V30 loaded. He asked if I wanted to give it a go with my Ampeg VH140C. I much obliged and it changed my whole spectrum on guitar loud speakers. The musicality og the V30 was second to none compared to the T-75 and just owned my Ampeg 4x12 T-75 load cabs, clean, crunch and brutal. I’ve never looked back.

Hey, I’ve tried them all at one time or another and the V30 is my dog!

You follow what makes you feel good, right?

-David-

Back