Wiring guitar with Solid Core Silver wire

stratotone":omvu298b said:
Cat 5 is stranded as far as I know, at least the Cat 5 used for ethernet wiring. How did you rewire a guitar with several feet of it - did you go right off the pickup coils? If not, you're losing a lot of your tone with that wimpy wire from the pickups to the switch or pot.

Cat5 has 8 individually jacketed 24 ga. solid strands of wire. So in essence, it is stranded, but solid at the same time. This is the most typical wire. You can, however, get stranded Cat5, though I've never actually seen it.

There is a lot of misinformation about wire. I studied some of the effects in college. skin effect happens at very high frequency, and that is where oxygen free comes in since both copper, and silver oxidize which greatly increases the resistance. That is also the purpose of gold plating. Gold is not a great conductor, but since it does not corode you get a better signal transfer then you would with oxidized copper, or silver. In wire for guitars, or cables the most important thing is capacitance. I have been using the same mogami or canare cable in my guitars that I use for cables. I do have a couple of different cables with lower quality cable for guitar that I find a bit too bright.

I think that doing A/B comparisons is the only way to see if you hear a difference.

Ryan

GuitarGuyLP":1sknijqu said:
There is a lot of misinformation about wire. I studied some of the effects in college. skin effect happens at very high frequency, and that is where oxygen free comes in since both copper, and silver oxidize which greatly increases the resistance. That is also the purpose of gold plating. Gold is not a great conductor, but since it does not corode you get a better signal transfer then you would with oxidized copper, or silver. In wire for guitars, or cables the most important thing is capacitance. I have been using the same mogami or canare cable in my guitars that I use for cables. I do have a couple of different cables with lower quality cable for guitar that I find a bit too bright.

I think that doing A/B comparisons is the only way to see if you hear a difference.

Ryan

Even if you do an A/B with two guitars, the inherent tone differences of the guitars render the experiment useless. I have 2 '76 LPC's, both with the stock electronics (pots, wire, switches, jack) in them as well as the same pickup, and they most definitely sound different. :yes:

Back