Egnater Tourmaster Review

Roddy

EGNATER TOURMASTER REVIEW
I've owned and gigged with this amp..[head version]...for over a year, so the honeymoon phase is over.. It was an original non M model..I had it modded to current specs, and the mod is well worth having done if you have a non M serial#'d Tourmaster...Makes Ch 3 and 4 much more toneful, have more gain, and they now have tighter low end.....
It's 4 channels, with a good spring reverb and series or parallel FX loop...100 watts..4, 5881's...Switchable for each channel down to 10 watts!
Ch 1..clean channel is a good JTM45 tone and can be dialed in for more Fendery tones as well.. Peg the volume and use the gain for the volume control. Just a really sweet clean channel that takes pedals really well.
Ch 2 to my ears sounds like a very big tweed deluxe without all the flubby bottom or intense compression....great rhythm and lead channel
Ch 3 is a wonderful plexi...no doubt about it...with the gain at 2 or 3 oclock it's a great classic Marshall lead tone...I could stay on this channel all night....
Ch 4 sounds similar to my Egnater EG4 module from my RM series Randall Modular amp that Egnater designed.... Smooth gain..lots of it..a bit darker than Ch3, which is a good thing...Tight lows, enough mids, smooth highs...My wicked solo channel...
If you go below to The Rod Welles Blues Band site, those tunes are all recorded live with the Tourmaster....I've owned/recorded/and toured with many boutique amps over the years, and this amp is as good or better than anything I've ever had...and versatile???...and for $1400, it's a steal....Disclaimer....I'm into classic high gain rock and blues tones, and for my sounds it's wonderful...I can't comment on how it does metal.. The amp has a sort of vintage flavor running through it..I do use Scumback M55 speaker with it. The FX loop is great as is the verb.....
Highly recommended

Played through the amp for a bit at Guitar Center and really liked it! Its layout and "purpose" seems very similar to the VH4, though of course they're much different amps. I wish they weren't Chinese-made - I'd be okay with paying a little more for my money to go somewhere like the US or Germany - but it's still a good buy! I'd love to pick one up for gigging so that I'm not paranoid the whole night about one of my other amps being stolen or damaged.

I purchased the Tourmaster 4212 and was not impressed. Perhaps it was it being a combo, but I couldnt get this amp dialed in. I followed the recommended settings and failed to get this dialed in. I play Metal and 80's stuff. I am not to hard to please. It seem to have the right components. I ended up taking it back and getting a VHT which was alot easier to get dialed in for a metal type tone I was looking for. :thumbsdown:

chimaira":yxujysck said:
I purchased the Tourmaster 4212 and was not impressed. Perhaps it was it being a combo, but I couldnt get this amp dialed in. I followed the recommended settings and failed to get this dialed in. I play Metal and 80's stuff. I am not to hard to please. It seem to have the right components. I ended up taking it back and getting a VHT which was alot easier to get dialed in for a metal type tone I was looking for. :thumbsdown:
The Tourmaster excels at classic tones....I guess not so much for metal

If the Egnater isn't working for you doing Metal, I recommend putting some pedals to it, or, buy a Peavey Triple X. I have Botha amps. The Peavey is an absolute Gain Monster!!! But, it's a one trick pony. It does the Metal trick extremely well. If you want versatility, the Egnater is what you want, then throw some pedals at it for Metal. Just my .02

Back