Mesa Mark III stripes....

Yep.

In order, the stripes were:

None or Black Stripe
Purple Stripe
Red Stripe
Blue Stripe
Green Stripe

It's worth picking up if you can get it at a decent price. They sell fairly well if you didn't like it. I think the later versions had more gain though.

There's also a mod you can do to the R2 to give it a seperate volume. It only costs about 10 bucks and you can get the parts from Boogie. I've got the mod info around here somewhere.

I am goingo to hold off for the Red Blue or Green since I am looking for the more GAINY side of these amps. I dont care about pristine cleans or whatnot...just some savage sounding riffing! :rock:

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I am still learning more and more as I do my homework on them. ;)

Dan

Mailman1971":1jtti7df said:
I am goingo to hold off for the Red Blue or Green since I am looking for the more GAINY side of these amps. I dont care about pristine cleans or whatnot...just some savage sounding riffing! :rock:

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I am still learning more and more as I do my homework on them. ;)

Dan

I don't think the Green or red have any more gain than the Blue Stripe does.

Seems like what I hear is they all have about the same gain with slight improvements.
I am just wondering about the gain difference between them 3 and the Purple stripe? :confused:

I have the Purple stripe made in 1986 MKIII combo with a Black widow 90 speaker (i think, havent looked at it in a while). Incredibly loud amp. Has more gain then I use. Self Bias pair 6L6 3 channels but there is a vol difference from ch1 -ch2 and I believe mesa has a mod for that. Great amp, I have had it since 1993/94. The one amp I havent parted with. Did have to have the transformer for the reverb and tank replaced and my amp tech went over it and replaced a few caps. Didnt change the tone at all. Has a great reverb but not fendery.

I have had a luv /hate relationship with it for a long time. Once you like the amp and tone for what it is and realize its not a Marshall or Fender its great. Think "Black magic women" Santana tone just add a OD808 pedal and Les Paul ;)

Ive owned 3- mkIV b's and they were a little different in feel and gain, but not that much...and if you get any of them turned up nice and cookin, they all sound great...If my buddy doesnt go for the red stripe and I still like the blue coliseum thats coming, I may still grab the red stripe III...I would love to get a quad preamp again, and this time get the mkIIc+ mod for it....oh, it never ends :doh::

Hey robbed a green stripe mark III with eq, simul class, with verb off of ebay for 500 last year, the dumb ass shipped it in a sleeping bag and the head cracked. ANyway sent it to mark b at boogie he retubed it also giving me and r2 mod, and a markIIc+ mod. it sounds killer, its heavy and brutal, yet smooth for leads it really rips.. Also bottom end is tight. i tune to drop b and it hold up killer.

animusofabbas":1wm3u1lm said:
Hey robbed a green stripe mark III with eq, simul class, with verb off of ebay for 500 last year, the dumb ass shipped it in a sleeping bag and the head cracked. ANyway sent it to mark b at boogie he retubed it also giving me and r2 mod, and a markIIc+ mod. it sounds killer, its heavy and brutal, yet smooth for leads it really rips.. Also bottom end is tight. i tune to drop b and it hold up killer.
What did boogie charge for the upgrades?

dont quote me exactly i wanna say 179-229 like. Call boogie ask for mark b If he is still around you have to cut the check directly to him thats the deal mesa has with Mark. Great guy btw.

thats a great price for the mods!...also...if you play these mks thru a mesa cab and youre looking for tightest bottom end, use the traditionals instead of the recto cabs...ive had 2 of each and the trads are tighter...but ive since then went in debt and bought all diezel cabs which are even tighter yet believe it or not!...The mk series head are really nice, great toned heads, but a lot of people simply wont take the time to dial them in,but if you do, youll be hooked! :rock:

Lp Freak":34yrhiba said:
Go for the Red Stripe. I've owned a few different stripes and the red sounded the best. The black or no stripe, which was the first version, sounded the worst. ;)
Just got the Red Stripe! :rock:

From what a few guys here wrote....that one seems to really kick some major ass!
Cant wait to get it......... :yes:

Make a nice addition sitting on top of My Rivera. ;)

Mailman1971":16mkyfm0 said:
Lp Freak":16mkyfm0 said:
Go for the Red Stripe. I've owned a few different stripes and the red sounded the best. The black or no stripe, which was the first version, sounded the worst. ;)
Just got the Red Stripe! :rock:

From what a few guys here wrote....that one seems to really kick some major ass!
Cant wait to get it......... :yes:

Make a nice addition sitting on top of My Rivera. ;)
How much?

$830.00.......shipped.
Pretty good deal eh? at least I think so from what I been watching the past couple of months.

Guess there are a few nicks on the tolex......but I could care less about that.
as long as it sounds good. :yes:

I got my Red-Stripe Simul-Class Mark III in 90 and never looked back. Will never part with it (insert Charlton Heston "Cold dead hands reference here...lol). Didn't feel it as much with the Mark IV (certainly not enough to trade/sell for one) and don't like Rectos at all. If you got a fully loaded (Simul, EQ, Reverb) Red-stripe and you will not be disappointed! :rock:

The only other 'stripe' I've messed around with extensively is a friend's 100-watt Green-Stripe. Sounded good, but like a chainsaw compared to mine, so my friend sent his head in to Mike B at the factory, gave him my serial # and said "Make it sound like that one!" So Mike re-did his to Simul-Red-Stripe specs...and because HIS was a long-chassis as opposed to my short one, Mike was able to add a Master Volume control for the Rhythm 2 channel, which allows you to get that channel sounding a little more beefy without killing people...I was kinda jealous. That particular mod can't be done on the short-chassis... :no:

But we hooked the two of them up in stereo with my MM4 one night for giggles....SICK! :D

Kinda interested to try the Mark V, but still will never part with my III...

jhale667":15fglfq4 said:
Mike was able to add a Master Volume control for the Rhythm 2 channel, which allows you to get that channel sounding a little more beefy without killing people...I was kinda jealous. That particular mod can't be done on the short-chassis... :no:

Yes, it can.

Sweeeet! More good news about the Red stripe. Yes mine has the full package. Simulclass, Eq, reverb. Havent been this excited about an amp in a long time. Alot of good feedback on the Red Stripers. Hopefully I wont need to get it modded if it comes close to the Blue striper I heard last year. :rock:

Back