Isolation Cabinets

MalcolmTex

So, I've been thinking of moving away from VST's and direct guitar devices and going back to actually mic'ing amps and cabs. Imagine that! I have no closet space in my modest basement studio to record amps, so iso boxes seem like an attractive option. They are bloody expensive though, it seems. I'm a pretty good carpenter, and was thinking I could build one out of birch ply, but don't know if there are any special things I need to consider: dimensions? porting? air flow? I have toyed with the idea of both a built in speaker, like the commercial ones, or just a box/housing for my Avatar 1 12" Cube cabinet and just stick it inside whatever I build. Has anyone on here done this or built one? Thanks, a former HC'er.

Jet City Amplification is coming out with one for $399 with a built-in USB interface in addition to XLR inputs, so that's a good one to consider. Stay away from Grendel; you may have seen the countless threads with people experiencing difficulties with getting their products. Kind of a shame, because it seems that everyone who has one is happy with it.

I wish Avatar would make one, since the rest of their products are so nice. Dave doesn't seem interested though; I suggested it to him awhile back and he said there were absolutely no plans for it.

The Jet City is probably a good idea to start with, since it´s the cheapest one out there and the rest of their line seems pretty darn solid.

I´d want to try the Rivera Silent Sister, though... seems like they´ve put a lot of serious thought into it.

A lot of the earlier isocabs (like the Randall and what not) seemed to need a bit of mod work to really sound good and efficiently dampen the room volume, judging from what many owners said about them and did to them, so hopefully these newer offerings are better.

ISO cabs get pretty expensive. I ended up ordering a custom built one and rarely use it, a lot of things you have to mess with, and thats mic placement and getting it to not sound too "boxy" :( I just find it way easier to go direct, especially when you use Impulse responses and great IR files like the ones offerred by Red Wire.

Morning guys - hopefully I can be of assistance here. Timing is quite good as I have spent a lot of time on this project during the past week, and this morning.
Obviously, our JetStream is our first foray into this type of product, and if it does will in the market perhaps we can expand the range into other products too.
I believe products like this are really valuable to guitarists and would be very popular if a) they were simply more affordable and b) more people even KNEW what they are. Hopefully we solve both of those issues with the first product and that leads to more.
Anyway, the JetStream was engineered to our requirements by Eminence in KY and is being built at their factory in Asia. I've been there several times personally and am VERY happy with what they're doing there. It's nearly done and I'm confident it's going to bring the concept to a whole new range of players.
And YES, agreed, as noted here, like any micing/acoustic guitar recording device, using our JetStream effectively IS going to require some know-how, some trial and error, etc. And let's not forget how important the MIC is!!!

Attachments

• JCA_ISO_3Q_web.jpg
    JCA_ISO_3Q_web.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,774
jet city amps":11y2y7b4 said:
Morning guys - hopefully I can be of assistance here. Timing is quite good as I have spent a lot of time on this project during the past week, and this morning.
Obviously, our JetStream is our first foray into this type of product, and if it does will in the market perhaps we can expand the range into other products too.
I believe products like this are really valuable to guitarists and would be very popular if a) they were simply more affordable and b) more people even KNEW what they are. Hopefully we solve both of those issues with the first product and that leads to more.
Anyway, the JetStream was engineered to our requirements by Eminence in KY and is being built at their factory in Asia. I've been there several times personally and am VERY happy with what they're doing there. It's nearly done and I'm confident it's going to bring the concept to a whole new range of players.
And YES, agreed, as noted here, like any micing/acoustic guitar recording device, using our JetStream effectively IS going to require some know-how, some trial and error, etc. And let's not forget how important the MIC is!!!
Thats very cool, it looks great. What mic would you recommend with it? Could you use 2? I like a 57/ 421 combo, but dont know if that means anything in this application

I had a guy build me a 4ft all around box with sound proofing sO I could have a couple mics in there and crank my mojave
worked out great
you can do it yourself...I don't even have a hammer, but if you are a diy guy
you can use:
green glue + dry wall (internet research = this is the preferred way)
rigid fiberglass inside walls and lining the box (absorbs all frequencies, makes your recording environment dry and isolated
MLV (mass loaded vinyl) (my guy used this, but some people say it doesn't work and is too expensive)
MDF wood

as your main ingredients

Maybe if we all recommend it to Avatar he'll just build one to get everyone out of his hair. :LOL: :LOL:

Personally I'd like to see one from him as well.

I've always wanted to try a Rivera Silent Sister. That Jet City one looks good for the money as well

I know you said you don't have a closet, but check this out anyway, you could do what I did and build one of these and just keep it in a corner of the room, I believe it sounds much better than the available Iso cabs (plus you can use whatever 1-12" or 2-12" you would like:)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68281

I think i am learning here that we should consider a "higher end" ISO with two mic booms. Possibly a bit bigger for more positioning options and cabinet volume. Our first ISO - JetStream - is partially aimed at being compact and convenient.

jet city amps":38y2ztan said:
I think i am learning here that we should consider a "higher end" ISO with two mic booms. Possibly a bit bigger for more positioning options and cabinet volume. Our first ISO - JetStream - is partially aimed at being compact and convenient.

Hi- love that you are into considering options, the main thing you have to do is make it sound good. Compact and convenient is cool, but I bet the majority of users want to record, and will almost never need to move the box- I know some want a live iso cab but for recording, sound quality trumps everything else... and thus far (and I haven't tried the Rivera, which claims to address some of these issues)- they all sound "boxy" or cloudy. I'm referring to the "stand-up" type of iso cabs. There's just not enough volume inside the lid for air to move, and (so says Rivera) the speaker movement is affected by the lack of volume inside the lid, as is the mic diaphragm, etc. The difference between miking a free standing cab and the sound of these iso cabs is huge, to me. I've tried the Randall, the Grendel, and the new Hermit cab. All sounded really murky and weird in the mids.

I think a great thing would be to have a company build a box like the one I built in the thread I posted the link to above- an iso box that you can put your own cab in. Big enough for a 1-12" or 2-12", and designed on the inside for the best possible sound quality. A&S cases, here in LA, builds a roadcase that is essentially this design, but roadworthy, of course. Big enough for a 4-12" with lots of space inside for air to move, and a curved panel at the end the cab is facing, to cut down on standing waves. Jerry Cantrell uses 2, live with AIC. They are BIG and really expensive (around $2500 each!). But if you could mass produce a box like this, and smaller (for a 1-12" or 2-12") then I think you'd have a unique niche product, that every small studio owner would like to have. Guys want to use their own cabs- with their choice of speakers.

Here's some Pics of an Iso Cab I build over 20 years ago. I used it while gigging for several years. I'd prop the door to control the stage volume.

IsoCab%20001.jpg

IsoCab%20002.jpg

IsoCab%20003.jpg

IsoCab%20004.jpg

IsoCab%20005.jpg

IsoCab%20006.jpg

Back