John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan?

John Petrucci Vs Guthrie Govan

• Petrucci

Votes: 38 35.8%
  • Govan

Votes: 68 64.2%

• Total voters

Tawlks

Whom do you think is a bettter guitarrist? I don't mean whose music you prefer.

I find Guthrie alot more impressive but JP is a great songwriter as well.

Wow. This is a tough one for me. I've never heard a song that I've like from Govan. DT has some KILLER riffs and songs, but I prefer Govans tone, touch and feel by a long shot over JP.

Have to go with Govan if this is a playing vote. :yes:

If it was a songwriting, riff vote it'd be JP by a mile. By the way, songwriting is waaaay more important. :yes:

RaceU4her":wqc4gpc2 said:
Tawlks":wqc4gpc2 said:
RaceU4her":wqc4gpc2 said:
buckethead

I never got into Buckethead, and my taste is impeccable so I'm guessing this is a joke? :D

joke?

he can rip some jimi too

He's an OK technician.
But plays like a stale piece of bread.
Dull, lifeless, boring, drab, mechanical, unoriginal, and very limited.
YMMV
Oh, and that Machine Gun cover was embarrassing.

I'm going to go with Petrucci, there's not much he can't play imo. GG is no doubt really good, but I haven't heard any material from him I would actually want to listen to. This being about technique I haven't seen GG do anything that JP couldn't do.

Badronald":38xg6yfx said:
Wow. This is a tough one for me. I've never heard a song that I've like from Govan. DT has some KILLER riffs and songs, but I prefer Govans tone, touch and feel by a long shot over JP.

Have to go with Govan if this is a playing vote. :yes:

If it was a songwriting, riff vote it'd be JP by a mile. By the way, songwriting is waaaay more important. :yes:

That's why I LOVE Andy Timmons. :D yeah. I meant it as a playing vote, JP wins for songs for me too. but you can't compare the two. I could compare Satch and Vai or something.

I guess it depends on if you want to hear jazz shred or prog with a horrible singer. I really don't dig eithers music, but I think if I could only pick one of them, based on skill alone it would be Govan by a mile.

Ancient Alien":22muzz98 said:
He's an OK technician.

All of that is very hilarious...Obviously you haven't heard too much of his stuff.

Hard to say IMO. I like Guthrie's solo album more than any of Petrucci's by far, but Petrucci wrote song amazing songs back in the day with Dream Theater. And I never liked Buckethead at all either. Don't find his playing interesting at all.

Motorpud":jck9b8jw said:
I guess it depends on if you want to hear jazz shred or prog with a horrible singer. I really don't dig eithers music, but I think if I could only pick one of them, based on skill alone it would be Govan by a mile.

Ancient Alien":jck9b8jw said:
He's an OK technician.

All of that is very hilarious...Obviously you haven't heard too much of his stuff.
I actually own everything he's done and seen him live 6 times.
It was like just having to look at the dead body of a car accident.
I didn't want to, but I had to.
A lot of people love him, I just have seen it done over and over.
JP and Yngwie at G3 were the same. They just didn't fit.
I'd take JP over BH any day.

Guthrie is amazing. Had the privilege of hosting him at my old store (Tone Merchants). He is an alien! The only other-worldly player that I can think of is Alan Holdsworth.

Ancient Alien":1ukc5ir1 said:
Motorpud":1ukc5ir1 said:

Ancient Alien":1ukc5ir1 said:
He's an OK technician.

Wow, you own all 30 something of his CDs from the last 20 years? And you say you're not a fan :D

Motorpud":9ehvqzmq said:
Ancient Alien":9ehvqzmq said:
Motorpud":9ehvqzmq said:

Ancient Alien":9ehvqzmq said:
He's an OK technician.

Wow, you own all 30 something of his CDs from the last 20 years? And you say you're not a fan :D

I give EVERYTHING an honest listening to.
I have 27, but if there is a few more, I'll DL them too.
I've just been waiting for him to WOW me.
Just hasn't happened yet.

Funny because some of them were made in very small quantities and can't even be downloaded... but either way :thumbsup:

Back