New EVH Wolfgang pickups

Setneck

Hi!

Have anybody tried new EVH Wolfgang pickups? I assume they are produced by Fender, but how their tone would be compared to pickups from Peavey Wolfgang Guitars or Frankenstein pickups?

Regards, Andy :)

Check out the Metro amps forum; there is a whole sub-forum related to everything VH. They have more tweakers over there that custom wind and know some crazy things, so that you can call Duncan and get the exact winding that Eddie used on any of the 1st five releases. Very good info over there.

I've already posted there but it seems like no one is using this pickup, as there's no reply at all :).

I thought that I read some where that someone really liked it; that it was very open, but had a lot of bite at the same time. They went on to say that it was prone to feedback, but they realized that it wasn't potted (waxed), by design. They waxed it themselves and it was great. I thought that was on the Metro boards, but I could be mistaken.

I've thought about getting it myself. Someone else mentioned that Duncan offers a custom wound VH pickup (he wound Eddie's pickups for years), but you have to ask for it as they aren't allowed to advertise it, so it may have a different name on their website.

Huh, that feedback worries me as I had big problem with it when using JB. Now in bridge position I have neck pickup taken out from Peavey Wolfgang guitar and no problems with feedback at all.

But it seems that I will have to buy that pickup to see how it sounds :). But if it'll feedback and I'd wax it will the sound of the pickup change much?

I'm just now loading a Suhr and a LP with these pickups, give me a week or so and I'll let you know how they sound in a guitar other than a Wolf. In my Wolf I really like them.

Two different pickups are being discussed here.

The OP and Pete Thorn are talking about the EVH "Wolfgang" pickups which were recently released.
These are the same pickups that are loaded in the current EVH Wolfgang guitars.

The Duncan "EVH" or "'78", is similar but has a slightly different spec to the the EVH "Frankenstein" pickup, as loaded in the $25,000 Frankie replicas.

I'm very interested to hear what Pete thinks of these in his LP.

I owned a EVH Wolfgang and didn't care for them. I ripped them out and put Aldrich PU's in it. :thumbsup:

-> dougiefresh: Exactly. I ask for those recently released Wolfgang pickups. As it is hard to buy the original pickups from Peavey Wolfgang guitar (I only have neck one put in bridge position and other neck one in neck position) I thought I might buy new EVH bridge pickup. But I'd like to read some reviews before buying.

-> petethorn Mate, please post Your thoughts after testing EVH pups in Your LP. Is Yours Custom, Standard or which one?

I tell you... I was in the Guitar store and wanted to check out the EVH guitar when it came out... I was playing through... A Line 6 Tube head, a Spyder maybe? anyways... Not the greatest, but sounded ok with an LP I was playing... I plugged in the EVH, and I thought the amp Broke! :dunno: I mean it had NO GAIN at all... Seriously my friend and I were trying everything with the amp... We thought we changed channels or one of the presets or something...

Then I plugged the LP back in and we fell down on floor! :shocked:

If these are the same pickups that were in that guitar... RUN! :bleh: :thumbsdown:

Roid RAGE

The pickups in my EVH Wolfgang are phenomenal. If that's what they're selling I can't see how they'd be bad if you're looking for a PAF-ish, sound. They're just so smooth, clear with lots of growl and spank.

Ya I love em in the EVH wolfgang I have, so the EVH guys got me 2 sets to install in other guitars. The Suhr they are going in is my sparkle red T-style, mahogany body/maple top and mahogany neck with rosewood board, the LP is a 2007 Standard that's weight relieved. It's just a good utility LP. It has a Fishman powerbridge as well, for pseudo-acoustic sounds.

The Wolfgang pickups measure between 13-14k and I assume are alnico 2 mags. PAF-ish in output I'd say.

I am not a hi gain pickup guy- I don't see the point- as amps have so so so much gain these days, and there's a plethora of pedals to nail the amp with, so why paint yourself in a corner with a hi gain pickup that will clip the front end of even the cleanest amp?

Plus I play single coils half the time, so when I plug in a guitar with even a PAF type in it, it's already much louder- I try and minimize that, so I can switch guitars and not have to completely re-tweak my amps.

Anyways, I shall report back soon.

RoidRage":20l6thr1 said:
I tell you... I was in the Guitar store and wanted to check out the EVH guitar when it came out... I was playing through... A Line 6 Tube head, a Spyder maybe? anyways... Not the greatest, but sounded ok with an LP I was playing... I plugged in the EVH, and I thought the amp Broke! :dunno: I mean it had NO GAIN at all... Seriously my friend and I were trying everything with the amp... We thought we changed channels or one of the presets or something...

Then I plugged the LP back in and we fell down on floor! :shocked:

If these are the same pickups that were in that guitar... RUN! :bleh: :thumbsdown:

Roid RAGE
I'm with you. The problem with the Wolfgang is the PU's aren't very high output and then they're set really far away from the strings. And on top of that, there's no way to ajust the height cause they mount them directly to the body. As far as putting them in another guitar, don't know.

Guys the Wolfgang pickups sound really great in these other guitars, they made a so-so Les Paul Standard actually sound just awesome, I think I dig the way it sounds more than my black LP Custom which has WB Habaneros in it and has been my main go-to LP.

Lp Freak":3c792hbe said:
I owned a EVH Wolfgang and didn't care for them. I ripped them out and put Aldrich PU's in it. :thumbsup:

Do you still have em?

I sold my wolfie with the pickups intact...but I'd like to have a set.

The new EVH wolfgang pickups are 14k pickups with alnico 5 magnets,the seymour duncan 78 pickup is a 9k pickup with alnico 2 magnet,the EVH Frankenstrat replica pickup,same pickup thats in the 25k frankenstrat EVH replica guitar is a alnico 2 magnet 14k pickup,its the same pickup as the seymour duncan custom custom pickup which is also a 14k pickup alnico 2 magnet,if your looking to buy the EVH frankenstrat replica pickup save your self the money and purchase the seymour duncan custom custom which is the SH11........... :thumbsup:

~Abstract~":3nyibj5b said:
Lp Freak":3nyibj5b said:

Do you still have em?

I sold my wolfie with the pickups intact...but I'd like to have a set.
I actually reinstalled them and sold the guitar.

nitro":nya5etuz said:
The new EVH wolfgang pickups are 14k pickups with alnico 5 magnets,the seymour duncan 78 pickup is a 9k pickup with alnico 2 magnet,the EVH Frankenstrat replica pickup,same pickup thats in the 25k frankenstrat EVH replica guitar is a alnico 2 magnet 14k pickup,its the same pickup as the seymour duncan custom custom pickup which is also a 14k pickup alnico 2 magnet,if your looking to buy the EVH frankenstrat replica pickup save your self the money and purchase the seymour duncan custom custom which is the SH11........... :thumbsup:

are you sure about the alnico 5? I think they sound more Alnico 2 to me... that smooth high end. I actually asked both Ed and Matt and they weren't sure if they were 2 or 5 either. They are bitchin though- they are super balanced, VERY fat and full, and don't come across as overly high output (in other words they aren't middy mud bombs). They are nice in a LP, that's for sure. I'll be leaving them in. Also, I put some pots I got from Jim at WCR in that guitar, which have an awesome taper. So they are probably helping as well. Good in my Suhr T also.

Back