Why does my JCM800 2203 sound best with a Boss Overdrive????

Badronald

I've got all these killer pedals. BB Preamp, Zendrive, Keeley TS-9's, Keeley Seeing Eye Mod, Fulldrive II Mosfets, TS-808, OCD and IMO the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 sound the best in front.

It just flat out KILLS with either of the two Boss boosts. I guess that's what we've been listening to for the last three decades and what we perceive as the grail Marshall tone, with the exception of Plexi's of course.

I've been listening to that new Slash AFD vid and when I plug into the DS-1 with my Les Paul Custom into the JCM800 I get pretty much the exact same tone. Perfect Marshall crunch. Bitey with big crunchy low end.

The TS-808 gets an honorable mention because that sounds perfect with the 800 as well. :rock:

And, I bought the SD-1 for $39 brand new and the DS-1 for $20 used in box, as new. :thumbsup:

I usually like the pretty much stock pedals with Marshalls. I usually don't like the mods that much. However I did get the Monte Allums SD-1 mod, and out of the 10 components to change, I only liked 2 of them (did it 1 part at a time), but I really liked them. But man if the stock pedals are doing it for you - be done and rock on! :rock:

IMHO the SD-1 is one of the best-sounding pedals of all time. I use my TS more as a compressor now--wanna have some REAL fun--run your guitar into the TS, then into the SD-1, then to the JCM800. Set the gain on the TS low but the output high, then dial in the SD-1 to taste.

Cheers,

I've got an old MIJ OD-2 that doesn't work anymore. I dug it back in the day, when it just barely worked :rock: It's seen a lot of shows, long before I was even born. Was my uncles. He gave it to me along with a Ampeg 4x12 that turned out to be an old cab of Paul Gilbert's :shocked:

I was looking for schematics yesterday, so I can get it up and running again. Maybe do a few mods to it.

Some of those Boss pedals are great man. I repeat, SOME.

racerevlon":3r40ypvr said:
IMHO the SD-1 is one of the best-sounding pedals of all time. I use my TS more as a compressor now--wanna have some REAL fun--run your guitar into the TS, then into the SD-1, then to the JCM800. Set the gain on the TS low but the output high, then dial in the SD-1 to taste.

Cheers,

Ahhhhhhhh :rock: I will try this. I've had some nice amps and modded amps and still love a boosted Marshall. Just something about them. Yeah baby!!

btw I've go an old MIJ and new MIT SD-1. They do sound different from each other. Both are great.

I had the same experience with this one:
OS2.jpg

My buddy and I tested the Boss OS2 as a boost for my recto and his Mark IV, JCM800 and JCM900.

Boosts/od's we compared it to: Boss DS1, MXR Wylde and Dist+, OCD, BB+, TS9 and 808. The 808 was very good too but the OS2 just killed.

[flamesuit on] I actually think a lot of the standard boss/ibanez/mxr/etc. work well in a mix b/c they sound kinda "crappy" compared to the modded ones. What sounds harsh and boxy, cuts too much low-end etc. at home by yourself can sound great in a loud band mix live for the exact same reasons IMO. I prefer an SD-1 to a DS1, and a TS9/808 over both but its subjective. Was at a bbq/jam with decent PA and bass/drums etc on the fourth at a friend's house with lots of scary players and everyone was playing through pretty standard gear. Strats and LPs into ts9s and fender amps. Sounded great too. I love my main rig, but there's no denying that a lot of the "classic" gear setups work great.

'63-Strat":qsfhru6h said:
[flamesuit on] I actually think a lot of the standard boss/ibanez/mxr/etc. work well in a mix b/c they sound kinda "crappy" compared to the modded ones. What sounds harsh and boxy, cuts too much low-end etc. at home by yourself can sound great in a loud band mix live for the exact same reasons IMO. I prefer an SD-1 to a DS1, and a TS9/808 over both but its subjective. Was at a bbq/jam with decent PA and bass/drums etc on the fourth at a friend's house with lots of scary players and everyone was playing through pretty standard gear. Strats and LPs into ts9s and fender amps. Sounded great too. I love my main rig, but there's no denying that a lot of the "classic" gear setups work great.
I agree with this big time! I think 95% of the bad words passed around about BOSS pedals comes from bedroom wankers, who aren't using them live. Nothing wrong with that of coarse, but it does make a difference. :thumbsup:

CaseyCor":18p3dx0p said:
'63-Strat":18p3dx0p said:
I agree with this big time! I think 95% of the bad words passed around about BOSS pedals comes from bedroom wankers, who aren't using them live. Nothing wrong with that of coarse, but it does make a difference. :thumbsup:

Yep I'd even go as far to say that a large part of the boutique gear market is voiced for that demographic.

CaseyCor":bygom6nb said:
'63-Strat":bygom6nb said:

absolutely agree. since my experience 3 weeks ago with a stock TS9 and owning a keeley modded TS808 i'll say the boutique stuff is better. but not by much, and certainly not for the difference in price.

SRV never seemed to complain about the tubescreamer "mid hump" or lack of bottom end.

'63-Strat":4avdga4o said:
CaseyCor":4avdga4o said:
'63-Strat":4avdga4o said:

Yep I'd even go as far to say that a large part of the boutique gear market is voiced for that demographic.

I agree. I can't tell you how many booteek boost pedals I've owned over the years that sounded great at home, but completely disappeared when I took them to gigs.

I've completely lost interest in the high end pedal market. Give me my Baked Keeley TS-9 (it's a Keeley, but it's still an Ibanez), my TS-808 and Fulldrive II Mosfet for my JTM45 and it's golden.

Give me my SD-1 for my 800 and i'm done.

Along with my Carbon Copy and I'm all set.

Badronald":3jechzru said:
I've got all these killer pedals. BB Preamp, Zendrive, Keeley TS-9's, Keeley Seeing Eye Mod, Fulldrive II Mosfets, TS-808, OCD and IMO the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 sound the best in front.

It just flat out KILLS with either of the two Boss boosts. I guess that's what we've been listening to for the last three decades and what we perceive as the grail Marshall tone, with the exception of Plexi's of course.

I've been listening to that new Slash AFD vid and when I plug into the DS-1 with my Les Paul Custom into the JCM800 I get pretty much the exact same tone. Perfect Marshall crunch. Bitey with big crunchy low end.

The TS-808 gets an honorable mention because that sounds perfect with the 800 as well. :rock:

And, I bought the SD-1 for $39 brand new and the DS-1 for $20 used in box, as new. :thumbsup:

What are your settings on the DS-1? I have a Baked Keeley TS-9 and it's way too much gain with my Rev, I'm going to try and pick up a SD-1 today. :rock:

PsychoholicSlag":25zzbr3z said:
Badronald":25zzbr3z said:

What are your settings on the DS-1? I have a Baked Keeley TS-9 and it's way too much gain with my Rev, I'm going to try and pick up a SD-1 today. :rock:

DS-1. Tone at 10 o'clock, Level at 1 o'clock and gain at 1 o'clock.

The Baked TS-9 has ton's of gain. That's why I got it. I use it for my leads on the JTM45. It sounds like a great TS-9 but with 3 times the gain. It's the perfect liquid shred leads, but it sounds glassy as well.

glassjaw7":vpr6i3lb said:
I had the same experience with this one:
OS2.jpg

My buddy and I tested the Boss OS2 as a boost for my recto and his Mark IV, JCM800 and JCM900.

Boosts/od's we compared it to: Boss DS1, MXR Wylde and Dist+, OCD, BB+, TS9 and 808. The 808 was very good too but the OS2 just killed.

Hmmm. Searching CL now. :doh:

I too never understood the bad rap about Boss pedals. All the pics I see of big name players and they're boards there is always some Boss pedals in the chain. If they are good enough for players like Jeff Beck then why are'nt they good enough for us wankers? To each his own I suppose :confused:

billboogie":3k5f87wo said:
I too never understood the bad rap about Boss pedals. All the pics I see of big name players and they're boards there is always some Boss pedals in the chain. If they are good enough for players like Jeff Beck then why are'nt they good enough for us wankers? To each his own I suppose :confused:

I never understood the hate either until I started putting a three or more BOSS pedals together. That's when I started to hear 'tone-suck'. I think they are fine used one or two in a chain but after that they loose something. I think that is where a lot of the hate comes from. They also started using cheaper components along the way which has attributed to it. The Japanese made pedals are still sought after.

Interesting point. I have several Boss boxxes but I don't use more than two at a time and they are not together (one in the loop and one in the chain). For kicks I am going to make a complete Boss chain and maybe learn a little something. Thanks for the tip

Bill

billboogie":w8ivx9j7 said:
Interesting point. I have several Boss boxxes but I don't use more than two at a time and they are not together (one in the loop and one in the chain). For kicks I am going to make a complete Boss chain and maybe learn a little something. Thanks for the tip

Bill
.....or just get a looper like an Octa-switch and don't worry about tone loss. Get as many Boss pedals as you want for next to nothing ;)

Back