Why does my JCM800 2203 sound best with a Boss Overdrive????

Jack Napalm":1ya4ehvc said:
billboogie":1ya4ehvc said:
I too never understood the bad rap about Boss pedals. All the pics I see of big name players and they're boards there is always some Boss pedals in the chain. If they are good enough for players like Jeff Beck then why are'nt they good enough for us wankers? To each his own I suppose :confused:

I never understood the hate either until I started putting a three or more BOSS pedals together. That's when I started to hear 'tone-suck'. I think they are fine used one or two in a chain but after that they loose something. I think that is where a lot of the hate comes from. They also started using cheaper components along the way which has attributed to it. The Japanese made pedals are still sought after.
Yup, the Japanese made pedals are the best of the BOSS stuff. Much better than the cheaper made stuff they put out now, which are still useful in some situations regardless of the lower quality IMO.

The other grail type OD for Marshalls is the TC Electronic Booster/Line Driver. Mine is UNREAL with my 2204.

Everyone that has tried it says it rules hard.

I never had much luck with an SD-1 in front of the Marshalls I've owned, (4 x DSL's, TSL60, & JCM800 2205). Always added that unwanted "cocked wah" kinda thing. I went to a Wylde OD, and thought it KILLED in Marshalls. But, in the Peaveys, (XXX, JSX, 5150, & current 6505+), the Wylde OD's not so hot. As silly as it sounds, I've been tempted to try the SD-1 again, with the 6505+ ! :doh:

napalmdeath":1758g7av said:
I never had much luck with an SD-1 in front of the Marshalls I've owned, (4 x DSL's, TSL60, & JCM800 2205). Always added that unwanted "cocked wah" kinda thing. I went to a Wylde OD, and thought it KILLED in Marshalls. But, in the Peaveys, (XXX, JSX, 5150, & current 6505+), the Wylde OD's not so hot. As silly as it sounds, I've been tempted to try the SD-1 again, with the 6505+ ! :doh:
Don't forget to try the Maxon OD-9 in front of the 5150's. My personal fav.

A stock SD-1 was the only OD i owned for many many years. I never new about the vast boutique world of ODs and the world of modding. Ive since tried millions of mods on them and my fav is just changing one cap to a bigger value. extends the bottom end and thats it. I agree its one of the best ODs ever made.

Lp Freak":1m5nl37q said:
Try a Timmy with it and you'll never look back. :thumbsup:

I had both a Tim and Timmy and felt they had way too much bass. I've tried numerous high end boutique ODs and my bone stock MIJ SD1 has yet to be dethroned :rock:

I do love the SD-1 into a plexi but not so much a JCM800. A pedal that's devastating into a JCM800 2203 was the Barber Small Fry or the Direct Drive. I liked the Small fry a little better for more natural mid-range response but both were amazing. Ironically the Small Fry doesn't sound any good into my 1959 build. Right now my top dogs are a MI Audio Blues pro and Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. I also think the Zakk Wylde into a 2203 is cookin'.

A pedal that was considered mass production boutique that I thought proved itself very worthy was the OCD. I've never owned one but every time I demoed one into a Marshall it sounded awesome.

danyeo":2l6slijm said:
Lp Freak":2l6slijm said:
Try a Timmy with it and you'll never look back. :thumbsup:

I did........and i looked back. Those pedals are the rave on TGP, but they didn't wow me.

That raving came from HCFX. Well it seemed so anyway.

2203 and SD1 is just perfect simplicity...great match. I have some nice amps (Bogner-VHT-Splawn-Boogie) and whenever I plug into the 2203 with 6550's along with an SD-1 it brings a smile to my face...

Shawn Lutz":305g4jrw said:
2203 and SD1 is just perfect simplicity...great match. I have some nice amps (Bogner-VHT-Splawn-Boogie) and whenever I plug into the 2203 with 6550's along with an SD-1 it brings a smile to my face...

This^^^

I've had ton's of amps over the years, but when I get into a big room with my 2203 rig and a Les Paul or Stratocaster and crank it up and the band comes in it's just pure :rock:.

Badronald":2cof04z8 said:
Shawn Lutz":2cof04z8 said:

This^^^

I've had ton's of amps over the years, but when I get into a big room with my 2203 rig and a Les Paul or Stratocaster and crank it up and the band comes in it's just pure :rock:.

yep, talk about cutting through the mix :) I have an 84 2203 w/6550's and have an orginal, bone stock SD1 since about 82 or so...that pedal is still alive an kicking after years gigging abuse. Some folks say the 2203 can be brittle/harsh or trebbly but the real magic imho comess when you play it fairly loud with band setting and open that sukker up...it is pure magic :LOL: :LOL:

Shawn Lutz":17dk5s2y said:
Badronald":17dk5s2y said:
Shawn Lutz":17dk5s2y said:

This^^^

yep, talk about cutting through the mix :) I have an 84 2203 w/6550's and have an orginal, bone stock SD1 since about 82 or so...that pedal is still alive an kicking after years gigging abuse. Some folks say the 2203 can be brittle/harsh or trebbly but the real magic imho comess when you play it fairly loud with band setting and open that sukker up...it is pure magic :LOL: :LOL:

I've had quite a few high gain, modern amps that I've had to walk over to while gigging just to make sure I'd flipped the standby switch on! They got completely lost in a band mix.

The 2203? You can be on a stage with three guitar players, a bass and keyboard player and a drummer and it will walk around the stage and bitchslap them all. :D

I like the sd-1 and wylde much better than screamers for boosting purpose
not only through marshalls
they seem to have A LOT more bite and output
I've been using my friends home made ts808 clone, though, and it pushes my amps as hard the wylde I had, but an Ibanez is no near as hot

glassjaw7":2khxvgv4 said:
I had the same experience with this one:
OS2.jpg

My buddy and I tested the Boss OS2 as a boost for my recto and his Mark IV, JCM800 and JCM900.

Boosts/od's we compared it to: Boss DS1, MXR Wylde and Dist+, OCD, BB+, TS9 and 808. The 808 was very good too but the OS2 just killed.
I just found one of these laying around the house. It was missing some pieces that I salvaged from some Digitech Phaser, but it seems to work fine. I'm going to see what it can do with a 5150 and Ampeg VH140C later today. It's been sitting around for awhile and I always dismissed it as scrap and never really gave it a second thought, until you mentioned it.

Back