Paul Gilbert Clinic at Guitar Center : Video Added.

ttosh

Well I got to spend yesterday evening with Paul Gilbert at a GC Clinic in Independence MO. It was a blast. For those interested he played through a Vintage Modern pretty much clean and most of his Gain tones came from a OD pedal that has 2 sides from Majik Box. It is called the Fuzz Universe, between that an EQ that basically acts like a lowering of the volume knob a Phase 90 and tuner that was all he ran out front. Here is his pedal board.

web.jpg

I have some great video I am uploading to youtube that I will share with everyone later. It was quite the time, and he is quite the player and person.

ttosh":u8warh37 said:
Well I got to spend yesterday evening with Paul Gilbert at a GC Clinic in Independence MO. It was a blast. For those interested he played through a Vintage Modern pretty much clean and most of his Gain tones came from a OD pedal that has 2 sides from Majik Box. It is called the Fuzz Universe, between that an EQ that basically acts like a lowering of the volume knob a Phase 90 and tuner that was all he ran out front. Here is his pedal board.

web.jpg

I have some great video I am uploading to youtube that I will share with everyone later. It was quite the time, and he is quite the player and person.

I love you

did you upload the Lord of the Thighs video? If it was or wasn't you, it was awesome. This man has put out so much music in the last few years, and he always pulls off great cover versions. That solo was amazing, especially his bits with the Airplane flanger. :rock:

Video one, bad IPhone video but it was all I had, this is light my fire cover of the Doors. Lower your headphone or speakers, it clips and is loud. Sorry for the audio quality. Uploading 3 others as well.

MisterBulbous":3qtb25pu said:
Great videos. His current set-up looks incredibly simple. Did he do anything off of Fuzz Universe?

He did not do anything off of Fuzz Universe, he did say it would be out in the US in 2 weeks, or if we could not wait he was sure we could find it on YouTube. :LOL: :LOL:

I ordered my copy of Fuzz Universe direct from Japan. I could not wait for the US to catch up. :LOL: :LOL:

Paul has always been super cool about fans uploading videos, and even encourages it.

Paul is one of my fav guitar players.... Dude has just insane chops. His tone I always thought wasnt that great though but who cares I guess, his playing makes up for it.

the4thlast1":1wyvf1wc said:
Paul is one of my fav guitar players.... Dude has just insane chops. His tone I always thought wasnt that great though but who cares I guess, his playing makes up for it.

His last two recordings as well as his new one coming out has sounded really good to me. Live through his Vintage Modern and very small board he sounded great as well. I think his older tones were thin and not so good, but the last few years I feel he has gotten much better tone, and his playing is quite insane to the Nth level.

His new album is out there if you want to preview it. I have to say, I'm not a huge fan. It has too much of a 70s "use every effect you can think of on every little lick" vibe. I also think his tone has gotten worse on this album.

Code001":tyctiqv0 said:
His new album is out there if you want to preview it. I have to say, I'm not a huge fan. It has too much of a 70s "use every effect you can think of on every little lick" vibe. I also think his tone has gotten worse on this album.

I have not heard it yet, but if this is the case I will still buy it. I am a huge fan and as one continues to make music like this one will explore new tones, new vibes and break away for different reasons as we all know.

Code001":3k26y4io said:

I really, really don't want to say this, but I think I agree with you. I know Paul's been going for a more vintage tone, relying on the fuzz pedals to give him the hair, but it kinda starts out thin and when he adds the flanger or phaser, it seems to thin it out even more. It kinda sounds one-dimensional to me, like something is missing. I suppose it's missing some space in the lower frequencies. Almost sounds shrill. I was hoping it was just my version of the songs, but I don't know.

I've been learning the song "Propeller", it's a relatively simple fusion-type song and the bass and keyboards are mixed so low that it's hard for me to pick out some of the roots for figuring out the chords.

On the other hand, I think he has continued to progress into a definite style and I have to say after listening to some Mr. Big last night, I much prefer the style he's into now.

Back