Egnater Celestion Elite-80s

rizla

Whats the verdict on these speakers?
Thinking of grabbing the 212 Tm cab. I already have a few differrent cabs fitted with v30's, g12h's g12m's and mesa c90's.
Wondering where the Elite-80s fit in amongst these.
I know Ill have to try it for myself but that isnt possible for a few weeks so thought Id sound out any one using them already.

Thanks

Pretty balanced speaker. Rolled off high's due to the large dust cap. They like volume........and give them some hours and volume as they take quite a while to break in. Once broken it, they are a great speaker. A little stiff/stuffy off the bat. They take high gain extremely well.

Oh, and I love my TM212. It's a great cab.

I love them, after they've been well broken in. I recently just ordered a quad of Scumbacks for my '73 Marshall cab, and the tone between the new Scumbacks and the broken in Elite 80's wasn't all that different. Here's a link the small review I posted..

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=74494&p=868033#p868033

I was going to sell the four Elite 80's, but after realizing they do in fact sound awesome, and they don't sell for much, I decided to keep them and load them in a pair 2x12 cabs for use as wet cabs.

Yeah, they do take a while to break in.... Stiff when new....
I'm just starting to feel mine warm up and smooth out after 6 months.
I have one in the Rebel 30 combo, which is open, and one in an Eggy closed back 1x12 cab.
They both are a little heavy on the lower mids, but the 1x12 closed cab really pushed the bass.
I prefer the sound from the combo as it seems to breathe a little better being ported.
I might modify my 1x12 to open back.

I have an E80 that I have put into an Egnater 1X12 and then swapped it out with a Super V. I liked the E80 better but I am going to leave the Super V in there for a little while longer to see if it grows on me.

Klark":164gas5d said:
I love them, after they've been well broken in. I recently just ordered a quad of Scumbacks for my '73 Marshall cab, and the tone between the new Scumbacks and the broken in Elite 80's wasn't all that different. Here's a link the small review I posted..

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=74494&p=868033#p868033

I was going to sell the four Elite 80's, but after realizing they do in fact sound awesome, and they don't sell for much, I decided to keep them and load them in a pair 2x12 cabs for use as wet cabs.

I do notice a big difference using only M75s though Klark. I've gone to using all M75s in my cabs now and not doing the x pattern or speaker mixing. Personally in either a 2x12 or 4x12, the M75s sound amazing. H75s I like...but don't super love.

Eric

I think they compliment the v30 very well. I have a Elite 80/V30 split in my TM 212 and love it!! :rock:

mylo":3qow5hyi said:
I think they compliment the v30 very well. I have a Elite 80/V30 split in my TM 212 and love it!! :rock:

Same here. I have a TM 2x12 and Mesa vert. 2x12 with the same speaker combo and it's the E80's that make the differance in both cabs.
Count me in for thinkin they were stiff when new as well. (Just like the V30's I bought in 1992)

Hi guys.
I have a question for those of you that own or have owned a 212x with the elite80´s.
I am playing a Mod 50 through a 212 cab with a mix of emi v128/gb128 speakers. I used to have g12h-30´s in it, but the icepick bothered me. It is better with the emi´s, but I still have to turn the treble and presence way down (sl and eg3/4 modules) to kill highs.
Even though the eg3/4 is supposed to be a dark module, the treble is at 7.30, bass and mids at 14.00. Same for Sl module.
I have had a rocktron speaker in the cab briefly (suffered from con cry) and it completely reversed my low vs. high settings on the amp. Density came way down and the bright switched had to be on 2. I liked the sound a lot, save for the cone cry.
So, will the 212x allow more bass/mids and less highs to come out? Less beaming?
Can it "beef up" my tone and allow me to actually dial in some highs?
Thank you,
Kristian.

E80's are very stiff when they are not broken in. They sound great after 3 months of steady gigs.

I've tried several boutique speakers that are popular on this forum and kept going back to the E80's in my TM 2x12. They work really well with the TM 2x12.

I use one with a G12T75 in an Egnater 2X12 and it sounds great. I am curious about those Scumback M75s though. The price tag is a huge roadblock though.

fek":iqtgssiw said:
I have an E80 that I have put into an Egnater 1X12 and then swapped it out with a Super V. I liked the E80 better but I am going to leave the Super V in there for a little while longer to see if it grows on me.

Yes, I quoted my own post. The Super V sounds good with my dark Tweaker but I think that I might put the E80 back into my 1X12 and move the Super V.

Back