Motor City Pickups

bcole

Anyone have any experience with the Angel Dust or Detroiter from Motor City Pickups? sorry if I already posted this... my memory sucks.

I have had a custom wound Afwayu, The jerry Cantrell, and the solution. Those three are just amazing. out of the three the custom afwayu was the most aggressive for metal. But the solution seems to be the most balanced of the three though. Very full and the roll off is very subtle and doesnt seem to have a lot of tone change while doing it.

The Angel Dust is very punchy, with great upper mids and is pretty hot but still very open. One of my favorite high output pickups. Lots of note separation and dry. The Detroiters are much lower output, but still are hotter than you might think. Very open, pissed off sounding, with a P90 vibe to them. Both are fantastic.

I have the Detroiter in a jap Les Paul clone. It smokes for modded Marshall type tones. Lots of articulate and harmonic rich mids, and the lows are super tight. Middle of the road hotness, but I like it because it's got more cut and less thickness/compression than the Afwayu which I also have and use for brutal high gain tones. I know you didn't ask, but I had Wade make me a matched set of Blackbelts for a Les Paul. It is the rawest, sickest 60's I guess you could call it P.A.F. tone, into a cranked Marshall it's pure Zeppelin

While we're at it, can anybody compare/contrast the Angel Dust, Afwayu or other MCP to Bare Knuckle Holy Diver or the good old Duncan JB? I checked out one of the MCPs in the James Lugo pickup shootout and it seemed better than the SD, but not as detailed as the BKP.

Think I am gonna buy a Holy Diver, a Suhr Aldrich and whatever is the most comparable MCP just to figure it out for myself.

metal101":2iyc2642 said:
I have had a custom wound Afwayu, The jerry Cantrell, and the solution. Those three are just amazing. out of the three the custom afwayu was the most aggressive for metal. But the solution seems to be the most balanced of the three though. Very full and the roll off is very subtle and doesnt seem to have a lot of tone change while doing it.
I've had the JC and I still have an Afwayu and 2 Solutions. I really didn't dig the JC but I do love the Solution. My other guitarist has an Angel Dust in his LP and it rips! The Angel Dust is perfect for a heavy mahogany guitar. The Afwayu is a bit flubby on the bottom end for the Brootz IMO. This weekend I am gonna do a comparison of the Solution and a BKP Painkiller in the same guitar. I'll post the results..

BTW Beer is good! :LOL: :LOL:

In my opinion The Afwayu is what the JB wishes it was. Hot output, very rich in harmonics, big tight bottom, and nice definition for high gain tones. It makes my Soldano scream in the best possible way. The JB in the same configuration was significantly muddier noticeably with palm muting, and not as defined with chords. This is all in reference to very high gain tones.

Necro bump! :LOL: :LOL:

Bringing back this thread from the dead. Interested to hear from others how an angel dust compares to a JB? Considering the Motorcity Angel Dust for a maple top/alder body strat. The trem is not a floyd rose and the guitar does not need extremely high output like the hotter options, but it definitely needs more than stock fender output. I have a JB and if anyone can compare it to that it would be great. Need compression and great note clarity without extra fizz like what is in a dimarzio super distortion, or outstanding mid frequencies like an X2N.

Back