Washburn Nuno N4 vs. Charvel SD?

Rev

Charvels by far have been the most comfortable playing guitars I've ever played. I'm hard pressed that there could be something that could top it in its league. I've never played an N4 and a lot of guys around here swear by them. Those of you have owned both or have played both, what can you elaborate on, as far as pros and cons in between them?

For me, the body of the N4 is too small. I'm over 6' tall. I don't like the p'ups either, in my old age I am liking lower and lower output p'ups. The fretboard is wider than most and takes a little getting used to. Not a pro or a con I guess - just an observation.

I was around and playing out when the original San Dimas Charvels first came out, so for me the new ones are just ok. There is something "mass produced" about the way they feel. Not a bad thing, just different. I'm sure I'm biased, though.

What do I know....

Having owned two N4's, an alder and a swamp ash, and played several of the newer SD's, I'd recommend the N4. As was said, the SD's are nice, but don't feel as high quality to me as the N4 did. Just MHO. The old SD's were just something else.

I own several N4s, and I would have another over a pro mod (and I love/own Charvels)

Ayrton":10sjwgmk said:
I own several N4s, and I would have another over a pro mod (and I love/own Charvels)

Which wood combo did you prefer? I've been thinking of picking up a natural guitar and TMZ has those Charvel naturals and of course the N4 is one. I need to try the N4 for the neck feel. Gotta find one in SoCal.

quinnethan":2ce1bxtw said:
Ayrton":2ce1bxtw said:

Which wood combo did you prefer? I've been thinking of picking up a natural guitar and TMZ has those Charvel naturals and of course the N4 is one. I need to try the N4 for the neck feel. Gotta find one in SoCal.

I love my N4 but I have an ash bodied N4 and it's a little on the bright side. I'd go alder or padauk. Washburn also makes some nice looking mohogany with maple cap versions.

I picked up an N4, and my wife asked if it was for my 8 year old! If you are big, the N4 is small!

You can score a pro mod Charvel SD for under $700 used if you are patient!

AndyK":34bdx2vz said:
I picked up an N4, and my wife asked if it was for my 8 year old! If you are big, the N4 is small!

The size never bothered me; I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs.

jcj":2d1n8y3t said:
AndyK":2d1n8y3t said:

Hey Josh are you coming out to the amp fest on Saturday? If you are would you mind bringing along your N4 for me to check out?

Funkymonkeymusic has a Korina that I have my eye on. Have been listening to a lot of Extreme lately and the gas is killing me.

quinnethan":3h5wp5vo said:
jcj":3h5wp5vo said:
AndyK":3h5wp5vo said:

Hey Josh are you coming out to the amp fest on Saturday? If you are would you mind bringing along your N4 for me to check out?

Funkymonkeymusic has a Korina that I have my eye on. Have been listening to a lot of Extreme lately and the gas is killing me.

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh man those korina N4 look so damn nice. If you buy one please give a full review and a vid/clip would be great.

quinnethan":tkbo6zga said:
jcj":tkbo6zga said:
AndyK":tkbo6zga said:

Yes, and no problem. :thumbsup:

Ayrton":3p2vpspj said:
AndyK":3p2vpspj said:

They are on ebay new for $650 now.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-San-Dimas-S ... 588b762647

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-So-Cal-1-2H ... 588b762649

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-San-Dimas-S ... 588b75c30d

Those are the Japanese ones and are being sold without warranty because the dealer is violating his dealer agreement with Charvel for selling them so cheap. My guess is that he is discontinuing carrying Charvel in his store and just wants to dump them or is going out of business. If he tells you otherwise, he's either lying or doesn't know that Charvel is on to him.

I don't think you can compare an $899 USA Production Charvel with a $2000 Washburn N4. Compare a Washburn N4 with a Charvel Custom Shop and then your are talking. However if you don't like the Washburn, resale value on them is much more painful than with the Charvel. I will take a Charvel anyday over the N4. I freaking love Nuno and I like his guitar, but it's his guitar. It's a sig model. I'm not into sig models and I just think a $2000 Charvel looks way cooler than a comparably priced Washburn.

Kaleiwahea":s5vbrh9e said:
I was around and playing out when the original San Dimas Charvels first came out, so for me the new ones are just ok. There is something "mass produced" about the way they feel. Not a bad thing, just different. I'm sure I'm biased, though.

What do I know....

Me too. And I still have a couple of original Charvels, an '80 and an '84. If you played a Charvel that felt mass produced, it's probably because it was. The USA Production Charvels were made on an assembly line. The USA Custom Shop Charvels are made in pretty small numbers.... about 1000 a year. That less than they were making in 1983, 84 and 85. Read my Custom Shop tour to get an idea how not mass produced the current USA Custom Shop Charvels are. And the ones I have played are EVERY bit as good as the originals, if not better. So many of those original ones, at least in 1983-1986 were ruined by Kahlers :doh:

Chubtone":3ly5e4tv said:
Me too. And I still have a couple of original Charvels, an '80 and an '84. If you played a Charvel that felt mass produced, it's probably because it was. The USA Production Charvels were made on an assembly line. The USA Custom Shop Charvels are made in pretty small numbers.... about 1000 a year. That less than they were making in 1983, 84 and 85. Read my Custom Shop tour to get an idea how not mass produced the current USA Custom Shop Charvels are. And the ones I have played are EVERY bit as good as the originals, if not better. So many of those original ones, at least in 1983-1986 were ruined by Kahlers :doh:

I know the original 80's Charvels were more custom shop, individually made, etc. But I find the neck on my USA Pro Mod San Dimas is every bit as nice as the older originals! Sure, they are mass produced, but with the improvements in the way mass produced guitars are made, I think they are pretty close to the originals - especially for the money!

PS--Wild how way back in the early 80's, Kramer had exclusive rights to the Floyd Rose tremolos, so Jackson/Charvel had to buy Floyds from Kramer dealers if they wanted to put one on a Charvel. That's why there were so many Kahlers.

Chubtone":1z03ni79 said:
Kaleiwahea":1z03ni79 said:

What do I know....

I agree, and I wasn't trying to bash the new Charvels at all. Just sharing in my experiences with the production Charvels, NOT the Custom shop stuff.

And btw, I owned a Kahler-fied Charvel from 85!!! :thumbsdown:

Chubtone":18hg5i5p said:
Ayrton":18hg5i5p said:
AndyK":18hg5i5p said:

They are on ebay new for $650 now.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-San-Dimas-S ... 588b762647

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-So-Cal-1-2H ... 588b762649

https://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-San-Dimas-S ... 588b75c30d

Those are the Japanese ones and are being sold without warranty because the dealer is violating his dealer agreement with Charvel for selling them so cheap. My guess is that he is discontinuing carrying Charvel in his store and just wants to dump them or is going out of business. If he tells you otherwise, he's either lying or doesn't know that Charvel is on to him.

I don't think you can compare an $899 USA Production Charvel with a $2000 Washburn N4. Compare a Washburn N4 with a Charvel Custom Shop and then your are talking. However if you don't like the Washburn, resale value on them is much more painful than with the Charvel. I will take a Charvel anyday over the N4. I freaking love Nuno and I like his guitar, but it's his guitar. It's a sig model. I'm not into sig models and I just think a $2000 Charvel looks way cooler than a comparably priced Washburn.

I will compare my Slime Green So Cal with a $2000 Nuno any day of the week, you were right when you tolod me how that one was being finished and by what department cause that guitar is the shit. I was not playing it as I did not want to fuck the pickguard up so I can sell it but broke down and glad I did, it is better than my #0009 so cal in every way and I like that 0009 very much. We are talking playability and not furnature grade wood and inlays right?

I think the idea around the nuno is very cool and would love to really have one for an extended time but it would have to play itself and have nuno's stash in the case for me to switch from my so cal.

Damn.......Billy Bogner and Chub talking charvels in the same thread.

Back