Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 26, 2014 8:41am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 04, 2011 10:25pm 
Immortal Rock God

I am using a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Cheap and doesn't take up my real estate on the board. There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead. There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

1) Connect a 5 pin cable from the MIDI in (left facing).

2) Connect the other end of the 5 pin to your MIDI controller.

3) 9VDC power to your controller. I use a LASD ISOpack, but Voodoo works fine, as do others.

4) Power up the amp and controller.

5) There are 3 lights on the back of the amp for the RJM Midi board. The left one is CHANNEL select, the middle one is SOLO select and the right one is WRITE. For the Midi Mouse, set it to 1 (or whatever you want) and select the CCV channel 1 on the front of the amp where it is active. The CHANNEL select on the Midi board will light up RED. Press and hold the WRITE button for several seconds until it goes out and flashes.

6) Set the controller to 2 and set the CCV to Channel 2 on the front of the amp. The RED light on the left of the Midi board will have went off. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

7) Set the controller to 3 and active the center button on the Midi board until it lights up white. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

Now you are set. 1 will give you channel 1, 2 will give you channel 2 and 3 will give you channel 2 and solo boost.

VOILA........ :thumbsup:

Without coffee - I can be a dick....

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 04, 2011 11:50pm 
Rock God

steve_k wrote:
There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead.

This is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

steve_k wrote:
There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

Many amps supply phantom power for a specific voltage rating, mA and one of either AC or DC. It's too bad the CCV doesn't at least power some controllers out on the market. If a person happened to have a controller that was incompatable with what the CCV was putting out, he/she could have just used a 5 pin midi cable to avoid frying their controller..... :cry:

Now I'm off to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo solely to use for phantom power from behind the amp..... :doh:

P.S. My rant aside, thanks for posting this, Steve! :thumbsup:

Other: Custom pedalboards, Evidence Audio cables

My References (i.e., "Good/Bad Transactions" Thread): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=108175

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 1:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

rlord1974 wrote:
Now I'm off to buy a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo solely to use for phantom power from behind the amp.....

No need for this. As long as your board accepts MIDI phantom power on pins 6 & 7, it is as simple as connecting your board's power supply (or any suitable power supply) to these pins. I've made adapter cables for guys that are made up of a simple female DIN followed by a male DIN with the power supply tapped in and others wired through. Plug in the power supply on the amp side, plug in a standard cable from the board to the adapter, plug the adapter into the amp, and you're done!

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 4:54am 
Supah Stah

This should work. Plug your power source into this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... D=26022492

Fryette Ultra-Lead / Mesa Triple Rectifier Multi-Watt / EVH 5150 III 50w

Mills Acoustics (2) / EVH / Splawn

Great Transactions - Click Here:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64423

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 8:20am 
Rock God

Thanks, guys. The problem is I already have a professional snake and it does not have this type of midi cable integrated into it. I'm not really interested in untethering the whole snake in order to accommodate this type of midi cable.

I'm just going to buy the RJM. The added benefit of having the RJM is that it will allow me to channel switch pretty much any amp I have - or any amp I might get in the future - using the midi pedal already integrated within my pedalboard. :thumbsup:

My References (i.e., "Good/Bad Transactions" Thread): viewtopic.php?f=19&t=108175

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 4:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 8:17pm 
Rock God

232cap wrote:
HMMMMM not sure what problems you guys are having with your phantom power but mine works fine with a 7pin midi cable into my randall rf4 midi footswitch. It took all of 2 minutes to program the channel 1, channel 2 and the solo channel to buttons 1, 2 and 3 on the foot pedal. I did have to cut away some plastic from the midi cable end so it would go deep enough into the chassis to set into the connector on the midi board. Works like a charm. :rock:

Sweet! I KNEW it! And the Randall takes 9VAC, right?

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 8:51pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

There is a difference b/w the proto and production midi boards as my prod has only three buttons. Channel solo and store where the proto has 4. Also Art is right. Production model does provide phantom power.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 9:01pm 
Immortal Rock God

The 3rd button is not wired on the Proto. My only design issue is that I wish it had loop bypass wired into the Midi board. There is a bit of tone change with it engaged/disengaged.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 9:58pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

The randall will work with 9-12v ac or dc.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 10:06pm 
Immortal Rock God

232cap wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 10:29pm 
Supah Stah

psychodave wrote:
I'm so glad my CCV only needs this :lol: :LOL: ...

+1 with ya there buddy =)

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 10:34pm 
Rock God

psychodave wrote:
I'm so glad my CCV only needs this :lol: :LOL: ...

What the HELL is THAT thing?! It looks like something my grandfather used to change channels on his old tube television back in the 50's...... :confused:

:hys:

Last edited by rlord1974 on Thu, Oct 06, 2011 9:57am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 10:44pm 
steve_k wrote:
The 3rd button is not wired on the Proto. My only design issue is that I wish it had loop bypass wired into the Midi board. There is a bit of tone change with it engaged/disengaged.

Steve

Ya see the big black knobs labeled.."Presence" "Bass" "Mid" "Treble"?? Turn em to the left or right and things will change a bit and maybe compensate for any difference the loop may make...I'm here ta help ya buddy!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 10:48pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Steve when you loop is in run your channel volume up to 10-11 oclock use the return on the back for the amp volume. Give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 05, 2011 11:13pm 
Immortal Rock God

232cap wrote:
Steve when you loop is in run your channel volume up to 10-11 oclock use the return on the back for the amp volume. Give it a shot.

Yeah, I have been all through it. Part of it is the Timefactor send level and finding the happy place :D

Volume wise it is OK. I lose a little bit of the bypassed tone, but not enough playing live to worry much about. While the loop is a good one, "zero loss" is still an oxymoron! I can work around it though... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 06, 2011 5:00am 
Supah Stah

I was at the LA amp show and forget to ask, but can the effects loop be disengaged with a foot switch? I only use a Roland SDE 3000 for delay effects and can switch it on and off via the Roland. At least I have do this with my Engl Savage. I prefer to switch the loop via a footswitch on the amp I do not have my Cameron yet, so just asking in advance.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 06, 2011 5:46am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

No switchable loop, just by switch on the back of the amp. It would be nice if you could switch the loop from the fs though.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 06, 2011 6:24am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

232cap wrote:

This is what I was hoping to hear. :thumbsup: I have plenty of RF footswitches & 7pin cables laying around.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 06, 2011 8:08am 
Supah Stah

steve_k wrote:
232cap wrote:

Yeah, I have been all through it. Part of it is the Timefactor send level and finding the happy place :D

Volume wise it is OK. I lose a little bit of the bypassed tone, but not enough playing live to worry much about. While the loop is a good one, "zero loss" is still an oxymoron! I can work around it though... :thumbsup:

Im with ya there Steve, that's why i run wet dry .... :D

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 08, 2011 8:33pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

steve_k wrote:
I am using a Tech 21 MIDI Mouse. Cheap and doesn't take up my real estate on the board. There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead. There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

1) Connect a 5 pin cable from the MIDI in (left facing).

2) Connect the other end of the 5 pin to your MIDI controller.

3) 9VDC power to your controller. I use a LASD ISOpack, but Voodoo works fine, as do others.

4) Power up the amp and controller.

5) There are 3 lights on the back of the amp for the RJM Midi board. The left one is CHANNEL select, the middle one is SOLO select and the right one is WRITE. For the Midi Mouse, set it to 1 (or whatever you want) and select the CCV channel 1 on the front of the amp where it is active. The CHANNEL select on the Midi board will light up RED. Press and hold the WRITE button for several seconds until it goes out and flashes.

6) Set the controller to 2 and set the CCV to Channel 2 on the front of the amp. The RED light on the left of the Midi board will have went off. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

7) Set the controller to 3 and active the center button on the Midi board until it lights up white. Press and hold the WRITE button as you did in step 5.

Now you are set. 1 will give you channel 1, 2 will give you channel 2 and 3 will give you channel 2 and solo boost.

VOILA........ :thumbsup:

Midi Moose!! :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 22, 2011 11:26am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

rlord1974 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Just to confirm; 7 pin MIDI cable -> Randall RF3 = success. Super easy to program as well. 1 CH1, 2 CH2, 3 SOLO. I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 22, 2011 8:14pm 
Rock God

drewiv wrote:
rlord1974 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Just to confirm; 7 pin MIDI cable -> Randall RF3 = success. Super easy to program as well. 1 CH1, 2 CH2, 3 SOLO. I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

So you're uncircumcised? :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 22, 2011 9:45pm 
Immortal Rock God

LP Freak wrote:
drewiv wrote:
rlord1974 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Just to confirm, I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout:

PostPosted: Sat, Oct 22, 2011 9:49pm 

steve_k wrote:
LP Freak wrote:
drewiv wrote:
rlord1974 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Just to confirm, I didn't have to trim any insulation off my cable.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout: :checkthisout:

ahem.......

Attachments:
drunk_david_hasselhoff.jpg
drunk_david_hasselhoff.jpg [ 20.37 KiB | Viewed 2789 times ]

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23, 2011 8:12am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

LP Freak wrote:

Well, at least my cable isn't. :no: I guess that didn't clear anything up. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23, 2011 10:17am 
Rock God

drewiv wrote:
LP Freak wrote:

Well, at least my cable isn't. :no: I guess that didn't clear anything up. :lol: :LOL:

:lol: :LOL: That's good enough.

PostPosted: Sun, Oct 23, 2011 11:42pm 
Immortal Rock God

Using a Diezel Columbus to switch now, just because of the cool, eerie, blue glow in the dark....

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 25, 2011 4:37pm 
Supah Stah

232cap wrote:

232cap, what kind of Midi Cable did you use? I just ordered the Rocktron 7-pin Phantom cable along with the rf4 midi footswitch for my soon to be shipped CCV.

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 25, 2011 5:14pm 
Rock God

metalmaniac93 wrote:
232cap wrote:

232cap, what kind of Midi Cable did you use? I just ordered the Rocktron 7-pin Phantom cable along with the rf4 midi footswitch for my soon to be shipped CCV.

The Rocktron cable works great and fits fine into the CCVand the rf4. You are set.

gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *many others

PostPosted: Tue, Oct 25, 2011 10:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I just used the 7pin midi cable that came with my randall midi pedal. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 13, 2012 7:47pm 
Plank Cranker

rlord1974 wrote:
steve_k wrote:
There is no phantom power supplied by the MIDI board, so, your 5 pin cables will work. You can use a 7 pin, but the other legs are dead.

steve_k wrote:
There has been some talk about why it doesn't supply phantom power, but for those that don't know, various MIDI controllers take different power, whether AC or DC and different currents. These voltages and currents could affect the operation of the controller, or kill it or harm the circuit. So, rather than make it for a specific controller, you can power any controller from your pedalboard power.

A little late on the post (I've had the CCV for almost 4 months now :doh: ) but just hooked up a Rocktron Midi Mate and there is phantom power available. My amp was from the 1st run. Need to use 7 pin.

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 13, 2012 10:31pm 
Immortal Rock God

JackTripper wrote:
rlord1974 wrote:
steve_k wrote:

steve_k wrote:

A little late on the post (I've had the CCV for almost 4 months now :doh: ) but just hooked up a Rocktron Midi Mate and there is phantom power available. My amp was from the 1st run. Need to use 7 pin.

Yep, the production models got it.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 15, 2012 8:27pm 
Supah Stah

232cap wrote:

I bought one 2 months ago, but have not messed with it much since my CCV is not here yet. I assume you have to take apart the unit to put a battery in it since i did not see a battery compartment.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 15, 2012 8:51pm 
Rock God

metalmaniac93 wrote:
232cap wrote:

I bought one 2 months ago, but have not messed with it much since my CCV is not here yet. I assume you have to take apart the unit to put a battery in it since i did not see a battery compartment.

Its phantom powered from the CCV. No batteries or adapter needed. The Randal 4 button is an excellent made pedal. Don't think its cheap. The switches are tight and have a short throw. Very nice pedal.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 2:14am 
Rock God

glip22 wrote:
metalmaniac93 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Its phantom powered from the CCV. No batteries or adapter needed. The Randal 4 button is an excellent made pedal. Don't think its cheap. The switches are tight and have a short throw. Very nice pedal.

Yep, Gary is right on the money. NIce piece of kit, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 6:53am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

jcj wrote:
glip22 wrote:
metalmaniac93 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Indeed. The RF3 & RF4 are great footswitches. I ran into them only because of my use of my MTS, I probably would have never tried them otherwise. Now, I hoard them.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 7:15am 
Rock God

drewiv wrote:
jcj wrote:
glip22 wrote:
metalmaniac93 wrote:
232cap wrote:

Indeed. The RF3 & RF4 are great footswitches. I ran into them only because of my use of my MTS, I probably would have never tried them otherwise. Now, I hoard them.

You a hoarder :confused: I never would have thought that.
:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 12:11pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I was looking for specs on the dimensions for the rf3 and 4 but could not find them anywhere. Seems like they take up a bit of space. I am currently looking into what midi pedal to use.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 1:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

glip22 wrote:
You a hoarder :confused: I never would have thought that.
:lol: :LOL:

Yup. :yes: I think there are a few of us around here have simlilar issues. :lol: :LOL:

50MkII wrote:
I was looking for specs on the dimensions for the rf3 and 4 but could not find them anywhere. Seems like they take up a bit of space. I am currently looking into what midi pedal to use.

On the contrary, they are quite small if you are comparing them to midi controllers such as the MidiMate and similar. If you're interested I can measure the RF3 & RF4 later. Also, they seem to be built really well. I have not had an issues with any that I have used.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 16, 2012 11:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

drewiv wrote:
On the contrary, they are quite small if you are comparing them to midi controllers such as the MidiMate and similar. If you're interested I can measure the RF3 & RF4 later. Also, they seem to be built really well. I have not had an issues with any that I have used.

Yes, that info would be nice to know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 17, 2012 9:02am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

50MkII wrote:
drewiv wrote:

Will do. I'll post that information tonight.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 17, 2012 7:09pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

50MkII wrote:
drewiv wrote:

Requested measurements:

RF3: 8" x 4" x 2"
RF4: 11" x 4" x 2"

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 11:43am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

So I bought a Tech 21 Midi mouse. I don't like the sound of the G-Major through the loop, it does something to the tone and adds noise to the signal. So I am back to pedals and am using the Midi Mouse to change channels and solo boost. I am a little confused by the posts above ( I always am confused) and have some questions regarding the CCV and midi. I have one of the first 20 Brad built Mark signed amps. The RJM midi controller on the board is 5 pin. The Midi Mouse does not work without a battery or power from the board. Is my CCV supposed to have phantom power in the midi connection?

Thanks!

http://guitarmike.no-ip.info
https://www.facebook.com/somewhereintimerocks

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 11:53am 
Owner - Rig-Talk.com

guitarmike wrote:
So I bought a Tech 21 Midi mouse. I don't like the sound of the G-Major through the loop, it does something to the tone and adds noise to the signal. So I am back to pedals and am using the Midi Mouse to change channels and solo boost. I am a little confused by the posts above ( I always am confused) and have some questions regarding the CCV and midi. I have one of the first 20 Brad built Mark signed amps. The RJM midi controller on the board is 5 pin. The Midi Mouse does not work without a battery or power from the board. Is my CCV supposed to have phantom power in the midi connection?

Thanks!

Mike

You can adjust the FX loop on the trim pot if you pull the head out of the chassis, it comes set for pedals so you can adjust it up for FX level and it will sound better.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 12:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Thx Brad, I'll keep that in mind for the future. I kind like messing with different pedals right now so everything is good!

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 6:54pm 
Rock God

guitarmike wrote:

Thanks!

The CCV does have phantom power. You need a 7 pin midi cable though. I hapen to have a nice 25' one that I had made with a right angle connector on one end of you're interested. ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 8:02pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I took the midi cable out of the "in" port on the amp and lo and behold there is a 7 pin connector. Thx Paul

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 22, 2012 8:53pm 
Rock God

guitarmike wrote:
I took the midi cable out of the "in" port on the amp and lo and behold there is a 7 pin connector. Thx Paul

No sweat. ;)