Has anybody bought the Two Notes Torpedo (VB101 or LIVE)?

Spaceboy

I'm interested in the LIVE but don't see it available anywhere except on the Two Notes website (prices in Euros), and there has been too many clips or reviews out there. Anybody on Rig-Talk actually own one of these things?

I have a LIVE and love it. I use it for, well, playing live. Best tone ever through my wedges. I have used it with an amp, preamp, and just a pedal. I have only tried it with stock IRs, but have never felt the need for anything else. I have used a few other things and find that the Two-Notes stuff works best for me. It is extremely versatile, and easy to dial in.

I have thought about a second LIVE so I could mix IRs, but that's just overkill really.

The VB101 is killer as well. Obviously more bells and whistles. I was able to use one a while back and loved it. I don't record so I don't need all the options it has vs the LIVE. Highly recommended, especially if you already have your OD/Gain set.

Shark Diver":2ap4nfyi said:
I have a LIVE and love it. I use it for, well, playing live. Best tone ever through my wedges. I have used it with an amp, preamp, and just a pedal. I have only tried it with stock IRs, but have never felt the need for anything else. I have used a few other things and find that the Two-Notes stuff works best for me. It is extremely versatile, and easy to dial in.

I have thought about a second LIVE so I could mix IRs, but that's just overkill really.

The VB101 is killer as well. Obviously more bells and whistles. I was able to use one a while back and loved it. I don't record so I don't need all the options it has vs the LIVE. Highly recommended, especially if you already have your OD/Gain set.
What exactly does the VB101 have for recording that the LIVE doesn't? I understand there's some built-in EQs and compressor, but is there more than that? I plan to do recording mostly, but I have plenty of quality plugins. Got any clips of it in action, and how are the poweramp simulations when using preamps? Sorry for the 20 questions, there's not too many out there with one it seems, since I guess it's still fresh on the market.

Spaceboy":1ulqhd2j said:
Shark Diver":1ulqhd2j said:

What exactly does the VB101 have for recording that the LIVE doesn't? I understand there's some built-in EQs and compressor, but is there more than that? I plan to do recording mostly, but I have plenty of quality plugins. Got any clips of it in action, and how are the poweramp simulations when using preamps? Sorry for the 20 questions, there's not too many out there with one it seems, since I guess it's still fresh on the market.

It has digital outs, XLR outs and such. I'd have to go to the site, but it might have better specs all around. The LIVE has several power amp sim options that sound great. 99% of the time these types of things sound better recording then live because it's hard to simulate that in the room cab sound. So, for me, I love it through a wedge, I'm sure it sounds even better recorded.

I think this sounds great, and it's just the plug-in with a preamp.

I was going to get one of these because really it has everything I needed and looks and sound fantastic. However, I had a chance to try a Kemper and was hooked as it puts a few more things in place for recording that I wanted and ordered that instead.

I'm in the studio doing contract work quite a bit more than I'm doing live stuff these days so it just fit the bill better for me at this time. I just take the one simple unit with me and go.

PBGas":9t5peuo4 said:
I was going to get one of these because really it has everything I needed and looks and sound fantastic. However, I had a chance to try a Kemper and was hooked as it puts a few more things in place for recording that I wanted and ordered that instead.

I'm in the studio doing contract work quite a bit more than I'm doing live stuff these days so it just fit the bill better for me at this time. I just take the one simple unit with me and go.

Yeah, I hear ya.

I think it comes down to whether you are set on your preamp/amp tones. I have no need for modeling or profiling because I love the amps and preamps I have. And neither modeling nor profiling them sounds as good to me. But if I didn't have my amps, or wanted more variety, the Kempler and Axe make sense. I think the Two-Notes sounds better on the back end live than what I've tried, but that is just me. We all like and need different things.

Ah, found the spec comparisons on the Two Notes website, and it looks like the LIVE has SPDIF digital outputs while the VB-101 also has AES/BU, which is necessary for me. The only other difference I could see being a concern is the clock sync on the VB-101, which the LIVE doesn't have. The specs read 96khz for the LIVE, so does that mean you can manually set the clock to anywhere from 44.1khz to 96khz sample rate? I assume the VB-101 automatically syncs with whatever interface you're using. It also looks like the VB-101 doesn't have poweramp simulation while the LIVE does.

I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with an Axe FX II. There's too many options and too much tweaking to get the small handful of sounds I use. I had this same problem with the POD HD500 too, so I'm looking at the Torpedo to replace a modeling setup, so that I can use my amps for DI recording, and maybe easier stage setup. I could sell the Axe FX II and get another amplifier (Dual Rectifier) and the Torpedo for about the same cost. I don't use many of the effects, and I have all I need with plugins and pedals.

Spaceboy":17fuii81 said:
Ah, found the spec comparisons on the Two Notes website, and it looks like the LIVE has SPDIF digital outputs while the VB-101 also has AES/BU, which is necessary for me. The only other difference I could see being a concern is the clock sync on the VB-101, which the LIVE doesn't have. The specs read 96khz for the LIVE, so does that mean you can manually set the clock to anywhere from 44.1khz to 96khz sample rate? I assume the VB-101 automatically syncs with whatever interface you're using. It also looks like the VB-101 doesn't have poweramp simulation while the LIVE does.

I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with an Axe FX II. There's too many options and too much tweaking to get the small handful of sounds I use. I had this same problem with the POD HD500 too, so I'm looking at the Torpedo to replace a modeling setup, so that I can use my amps for DI recording, and maybe easier stage setup. I could sell the Axe FX II and get another amplifier (Dual Rectifier) and the Torpedo for about the same cost. I don't use many of the effects, and I have all I need with plugins and pedals.

I'd ask Andy in the Two-Notes sub section. My guess is the 101 doesn't have power amp sim because it is made to be used with power amps only. I believe the line in is for running a dry prerecorded track into the 101. Just a guess. Sounds to me by your requirements (amps, load, AES/BU) you'd be looking at getting the 101.

Are there also versions which are cheaper that work with just a Preamp ?

Meaning they can not accept a Power Amp out from a Head just a Preamp .

And also a Pedal version , maybe?

Do the inexpensive ones work well with just a good Guitar Tube Preamp?

Where are demos which just flip through the Cab IRs while someone is playing- seems like this Company is WAYYYY light on Demos ?

robertkoa":1mxd7m05 said:

Yes to all:

Torpedo_CAB_preview-418x300.png

Dear all,

for any technical question you may know we have a dedicated subforum on RigTalk. ;)

This said,

I'm interested in the LIVE but don't see it available anywhere

Ask Andy Cherna at Diffusion Audio

The specs read 96khz for the LIVE, so does that mean you can manually set the clock to anywhere from 44.1khz to 96khz sample rate?

The Live is only MASTER in the digital communication and the clock can be 48Khz or 96Khz only.

About differences between the Live and the VB-101:

apart from the easy to see (digital sync possibilities, in/outs, more admissible power, everything you can see on the comparison table on our website), there a re 3 major differences:

-The VB-101 in V2 firmware (since christmas) has the power amp simulator AND the possibility to mix 2 different cab+mic setups in mono
- variphi : play with the phase of the signal by adding another virtual microphone on one cab
- overload: VB-101, VM-202 and the PI-101 WoS plugin use non-linear convolution to simulate the behavior of a cranked speaker.

Just a little explanation on dynamic convolution and non-linear convolution:

The purpose of BOTH the technologies is to produce DISTORTION. That has nothing to do with any kind of dynamic behavior that some manufacturers would like people to think. Refer to the Syntefex patent (inventors of the dynamic convolution, used in the Focusrite Liquid Channel for example) if you have any doubt about it.

The interesting thing about those technologies is they add a little something in the sound when used wisely, a little more "life" if I can say. But remember the essential part of the speaker response is in the linear behavior, so achieving good sounds with the Live is not a problem. ;)

On all our products, remember we build them as a studio unit, so the electronic design is closer to what you may find in prosumer and pro digital interfaces rather than most guitar tools.

Shark Diver":wp8w1x8d said:
robertkoa":wp8w1x8d said:

Yes to all:

Torpedo_CAB_preview-418x300.png

Thanks. Glad the Pedal Version is "studio specs" signal wise etc.

Didn't see the price on the Pedal but also the single space Rackmount with Loadbox seems more reasonable $ now.

Is there a big difference in TONE between using a Preamp Line Out from a Head into the Pedal -

Versus using the Speaker Out from the same Head into the Rack Unit with the Loadbox ?

Thanks Again-I like the idea of Recording and JUST using the Computer as a DAW ( especially in Pro Studios ) and if I go out LIVE I might even want a more studio sound anyway or just do a live PA feed for certain things- and if the Pedal Version will give me the same sound - would be great.

How much $ is the Pedal ?- seems to have the full array of Cabs and Mics etc. great if it sounds great.

Also- do you find that a good Guitar Tube Preamp becomes almost as versatile as a Modeler with all the Cab Choices?

I hadn't realized there was a subsection for Two Notes on here! Thanks for posting the details, guillaume_pille. I read through the website and also downloaded the trial plugin, and it's impressive. I am likely going to be purchasing the full version when the trial runs out.

I'm a huge fan and dabbler with pedal-based rigs, and the CAB pedal looks awesome for that. I'm drooling at the thought of having a backup DI pedalboard consisting of that, maybe a Line 6 M9, and AMT preamp. It would practically fit in a pocket. Does the CAB operate best at instrument level signal, or could it also be used at line level for use with preamps and other rackmount gear? Is the pedal officially released or on preorder right now?

I'm thinking hard about the VB-101, maybe the LIVE but being stuck at 48khz isn't too appealing and I can't stand resampling everything. I currently have to do that with the Axe FX and it's a huge letdown with the product. I will probably work with the plugin for awhile and possibly grab the CAB to see how the perform before spending the money on the rack units.

Hi, I'm here and welcome all questions, here's the Live using the line input (ie equivalent to the upcoming CAB)

A great trick with the Live is to use the digital out into the DAW, recording 2 tracks (right is dry, left has the cabinet/micing sim). The dry track can be processed either by going back out to the Live or using Torpedo PI-101. Remember that the PI-101FREE version has no beeps, no time outs and no limitations other than being a single cabinet and microphone combination. By combining that cab will all the options of the Live, you can obtain stunning results.....and we'll bet you'll be so happy, you upgrade to the PI-101WOS or one of the less expensive 12pack versions

Andy

Cool- thanks - a nice sounding Demo with an excellent player.

You need more of these where we get to hear the Cabs- EFX are OK as well or in a Mix as on here.

I'd like to hear one input with 10 different Cabs etc. changing while he's playing both solo and in a Mix.

Of course- I'd like to win the Lottery also.........which may not happen either.

Here are some PI-101 videos that may be helpful, the first one has a deconstruction of the mix later (at 1:30 on)

Andy

Back