Randy Rhoads vs. Eddie Van Halen

I think it's pretty safe to say Eddie was a bigger dick than Randy was. But damn could be play some cool basic, stock blues licks.

jcj":2z7ijbhc said:
I've actually given this some more thought...Randy was great, but at the end of the day, I can play Randy's shit without much problem...Eddie is a different story :LOL: :LOL:

I am the opposite. I could play most of eruption only a couple years after I started playing (at least the intro and most of the tapping stuff) but I couldn't touch some of Randy's more difficult stuff, even yet today.
I like Eddie's playing more based on the fact that it's exciting to listen to and has a young, spontaneous vibe to it. I think Randy was more technical and precise. A "better" guitarist as far as pure chops and precision go, but Eddie had that fun-factor going and obviously he had chops as well.

Neither of them (or their bands for that matter) inspired me much though. I'd take Cantrell or Gilmour over either of them any day. For one thing, as cool of a player as Eddie was, VH's songs were pretty gay in my opinion. :D Sorry, but I could never take DLR seriously, and song structure wise, the tunes just never did anything for me. Take away the flashy playing and most of those tunes are pretty meh....
Flame away!!! :gethim:

glassjaw7":qtluk4a4 said:
Sorry, but I could never take DLR seriously, and song structure wise, the tunes just never did anything for me. Take away the flashy playing and most of those tunes are pretty meh....
Flame away!!! :gethim:

I don't think anyone ever took DLR seriously and I think that is exactly what Dave intended. With Van Halen live, you were at a huge party, and DLR was having more fun than anyone else in the room. That was the whole point of Van Halen.

They were from a time of bands being fun to listen to and having fun playing out. They never thought they could change the world or thought people should care what they thought about society or politics. I mean, they were guys in a rock band. They took themselves as seriously as guys in bands deserve to be taken seriously. I prefer that all day long to musicians who think their perspective on serious subjects is something anyone should care about. Look man.... hit your drums, strum your guitar, thump your bass and don't preach to me about how messed up everything is.

That was Van Halen, a fun band with a wicked guitar player.

metalmaniac93":fua784yn said:
I totally agree with you an this and I remember that article. It kind of pissed me off and after that I lost all respect for EVH and never looked back!!! His last great accomplishment was Fair Warning and it was a great album. One of the best IMO!!!

I don't think it made it to the article. It was in the full transcripts that Jas Obrecht released later and there was also audio of it. Jas Obrecht knew enough to not include it in the article because it made Eddie look like a petty little bitch.

Chubtone":2yhjexeh said:
Stramm8":2yhjexeh said:
No. What I said was at the time he made that comment after Randy's death he could give a shit less. I'm sure that back in the club days it was like you described. Just my opinion of course ...

I truly think that as a rock star in a heavy rock band and the reigning king of rock and roll guitar that Eddie was probably quite aware of what was going on in that world. I'll bet the other guys in the band were popping Blizzard of Ozz into the tape deck on the bus. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Roth kept playing that as an irritant to keep the fire burning in Eddie and keep him on top of his game. They had freaking even toured with Sabbath. They knew Ozzy. And the new Ozzy was all over the radio in their hometown of LA. I think Ed was painfully aware of what Randy was doing and that he was a petty little b'yatch and unwilling to acknowledge there may have been a contender for his throne. Not a new champ, not a shoe in, but a possible contender.

I have a strong feeling that Ed was getting quite tired of hearing Randy Rhoads this and Randy Rhoads that as he went from town to town and talked to guitar players all over the world. For the first couple of years of Ed's career, he was the man and there was really no one that others could talk to him about. Ed WAS the hip new player setting the world on fire. Then starting in about 1981, I'll bet there was a lot of, "have you heard this new guy Randy Rhoads?". "Have you heard the new Ozzy album?". "Did you see Randy Rhoads won the "Best New Talent" award in Guitar Player magazine?".

I'm sure this made Ed feel a little uneasy and possibly also brought up in him this memory of their "rivalry" back in the clubs and Ed knowing that in the VH vs. Quiet Riot days that Eddie could dust Randy. But this wasn't the Quiet Riot days anymore. And there was no longer any dusting going on. Van Halen was more ballsy and heavy than Quiet Riot, but now Randy was playing heavier and ballsier stuff than Van Halen. Rhoads was on fire and I honestly think it made Ed a little uneasy. Remember the story of Ed early in his career being bummed out that Blackmore wouldn't shake his hand and the sort of sour grapes feeling that Blackmore seemed to have towards him? I think the tables had turned and Ed was feeling those same sour grapes. It sure sounded like it in that comment he made after Rhoads death.

This is all speculation on my part, but I have heard stories about Ed being surrounded by Yes men and people who told him he was the greatest since the days of the first album. It's gotta be kind of annoying to have someone else out there threatening to burst your perfect little bubble.

And I'm changing my vote to Rhoads. Eddie can suck it after being so classless in a response to a Guitar Player magazine interviewer for an article meant to pay tribute to a peer who had just died. Even that had to be about him.

Look, I can't read minds and I wasn't there so I have no way of knowing what he thought of RR. Your explanation is completely plausible. All I'm saying is that if I was EVH, was in the biggest band at the time, raking in the cash, driving Lambos, partying like a rock star, married to Valerie Bertinelli, building a home studio etc. I would feel confident in my abilities and achievements and would't be too concerned with another guitar player "stealing my throne" or whatever. Maybe I'm being too logical :LOL: :LOL:

It has everything to do with scope; the world knows EVH is in a league all his own. Therefore Ed is better.

Done.

Rogue":18pysosh said:
Marshall Law":18pysosh said:
Randy was twice the player Eddie was, even Randy use to say ed is all smoke and mirrors,have you people forgotten, just listen to the song, diary of a madman, and find anything technically close from van halen, it doesn't exist,
Randy is the more technical player. Randy has good improv skills too. One of my favorite solo's from Randy was Children of the Grave on Tribute. Good stuff.

That said, I don't know of anything from RR that matches the spontaneity, energy, and flow of the Hot for Teacher solo. Of course, I consider that the ultimate rock and roll solo. I've never heard anyone nail that solo, even Eddie. It came from some other place.

I like and appreciate technical players, but there is something to be said for those guys that improv something that is iconic. That is not born of technical ability and that's the reason guys that do it well have their place in history.

As a historical reference, Eddie brought life back tto guitar solos and all the guys that followed with great technical skills ended up killing the guitar solo. So, you know, technical doesn't necessarily equal good. ;)

This is what actually happened, like it or not.

If it was a choice of who to listen to for 8 hours, I would choose Cantrell in a heartbeat.

Fair Warning is pretty awesome in that it breaks away from total shred fest with some solid grooves.

Chubtone":2aru8ob3 said:
I don't think anyone ever took DLR seriously and I think that is exactly what Dave intended. With Van Halen live, you were at a huge party, and DLR was having more fun than anyone else in the room. That was the whole point of Van Halen.

They were from a time of bands being fun to listen to and having fun playing out. They never thought they could change the world or thought people should care what they thought about society or politics. I mean, they were guys in a rock band. They took themselves as seriously as guys in bands deserve to be taken seriously. I prefer that all day long to musicians who think their perspective on serious subjects is something anyone should care about. Look man.... hit your drums, strum your guitar, thump your bass and don't preach to me about how messed up everything is.

That was Van Halen, a fun band with a wicked guitar player.
Yeah but what if they had Bono as their singer? :rock:

Stramm8":oa1c2szi said:
Chubtone":oa1c2szi said:
Stramm8":oa1c2szi said:
No. What I said was at the time he made that comment after Randy's death he could give a shit less. I'm sure that back in the club days it was like you described. Just my opinion of course ...

I truly think that as a rock star in a heavy rock band and the reigning king of rock and roll guitar that Eddie was probably quite aware of what was going on in that world. I'll bet the other guys in the band were popping Blizzard of Ozz into the tape deck on the bus. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Roth kept playing that as an irritant to keep the fire burning in Eddie and keep him on top of his game. They had freaking even toured with Sabbath. They knew Ozzy. And the new Ozzy was all over the radio in their hometown of LA. I think Ed was painfully aware of what Randy was doing and that he was a petty little b'yatch and unwilling to acknowledge there may have been a contender for his throne. Not a new champ, not a shoe in, but a possible contender.

I have a strong feeling that Ed was getting quite tired of hearing Randy Rhoads this and Randy Rhoads that as he went from town to town and talked to guitar players all over the world. For the first couple of years of Ed's career, he was the man and there was really no one that others could talk to him about. Ed WAS the hip new player setting the world on fire. Then starting in about 1981, I'll bet there was a lot of, "have you heard this new guy Randy Rhoads?". "Have you heard the new Ozzy album?". "Did you see Randy Rhoads won the "Best New Talent" award in Guitar Player magazine?".

I'm sure this made Ed feel a little uneasy and possibly also brought up in him this memory of their "rivalry" back in the clubs and Ed knowing that in the VH vs. Quiet Riot days that Eddie could dust Randy. But this wasn't the Quiet Riot days anymore. And there was no longer any dusting going on. Van Halen was more ballsy and heavy than Quiet Riot, but now Randy was playing heavier and ballsier stuff than Van Halen. Rhoads was on fire and I honestly think it made Ed a little uneasy. Remember the story of Ed early in his career being bummed out that Blackmore wouldn't shake his hand and the sort of sour grapes feeling that Blackmore seemed to have towards him? I think the tables had turned and Ed was feeling those same sour grapes. It sure sounded like it in that comment he made after Rhoads death.

This is all speculation on my part, but I have heard stories about Ed being surrounded by Yes men and people who told him he was the greatest since the days of the first album. It's gotta be kind of annoying to have someone else out there threatening to burst your perfect little bubble.

And I'm changing my vote to Rhoads. Eddie can suck it after being so classless in a response to a Guitar Player magazine interviewer for an article meant to pay tribute to a peer who had just died. Even that had to be about him.

Look, I can't read minds and I wasn't there so I have no way of knowing what he thought of RR. Your explanation is completely plausible. All I'm saying is that if I was EVH, was in the biggest band at the time, raking in the cash, driving Lambos, partying like a rock star, married to Valerie Bertinelli, building a home studio etc. I would feel confident in my abilities and achievements and would't be too concerned with another guitar player "stealing my throne" or whatever. Maybe I'm being too logical :LOL: :LOL:

Guys that have posted on this board WERE there and those times were total chops wars. I would listen to the stories of when Yngwie showed up in LA, everyone that was someone was there to see if the rumors were true.

The fact remains that EVH never shared a stage with any gun slinger in the day as far as I know, he played with monster session players like the guys from Letterman but never with any of the new flamethrowers. I am positive that Live Without a Net was so good because Ed had to be on the top of his game due to Vai mopping the floor with his old stuff with DLR. Vai was playing the Aint Talking about Love solo with the guitar lying on the stage during that time. I saw it.

Ed was ALWAYS looking over his shoulder during that time, I heard stories while sitting with some members here about Holdsworth, one of Ed's heros, waiting for nothing due to Ed never showing up. I am not trying to bash Ed in this thread but just pointing out your thoughts are very wrong imo.

Digital Jams":aglho7oy said:
Stramm8":aglho7oy said:
Chubtone":aglho7oy said:
Stramm8":aglho7oy said:

Guys that have posted on this board WERE there and those times were total chops wars. I would listen to the stories of when Yngwie showed up in LA, everyone that was someone was there to see if the rumors were true.

The fact remains that EVH never shared a stage with any gun slinger in the day as far as I know, he played with monster session players like the guys from Letterman but never with any of the new flamethrowers. I am positive that Live Without a Net was so good because Ed had to be on the top of his game due to Vai mopping the floor with his old stuff with DLR. Vai was playing the Aint Talking about Love solo with the guitar lying on the stage during that time. I saw it.

Ed was ALWAYS looking over his shoulder during that time, I heard stories while sitting with some members here about Holdsworth, one of Ed's heros, waiting for nothing due to Ed never showing up. I am not trying to bash Ed in this thread but just pointing out your thoughts are very wrong imo.

Hey thanks for pointing that out but you or anyone else on this board don't really have any idea what he was thinking, including me. I just can't imagine evh being concerned with any of the guys he kicked the door open for. That said, Vai probably did stuck in his craw a bit but Yngwie?? As great as he was and still is, how wide of an audience does he appeal to? Like someone mentioned earlier; to me it's more about the scope of Van Halen compared to Ozzy(Randy Rhodes), DLR(Vai), Yngwie. Are these other players more technically proficient or even "better" players? Sure. But compared to Van Halen, the band, the machine etc. there is no comparison. I hate Sammy era VH but they gained even more popularity and success when he showed up and secured their position as one of the greatest iconic rock bands of all time whether you like them or not. So from that perspective, to me it is more likely that he could care less about what other people were doing. The proof is that his style hasn't changed. He doesn't sweep pick or play a 7 string guitar. As others have complained about; he plays the same old licks, divebombs, pinch harmonics and tapping stuff. If he was so concerned about all of these other "better" players it seems he would have started imitating them like they imitated him...

Stramm8":s975e3ro said:
Chubtone":s975e3ro said:
Stramm8":s975e3ro said:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug :LOL: :LOL: I gotta tend to agree with Stramm8 here I don't know for sure but I doubt Ed was too concerned. He may of been interested in the competition but I don't think he was bothered by it in the least. When you got an ego like that and add in the Coke and Booze...Your already the king + Stay fucked up all the time and your insecurities are the last thing your gonna think about. I've never been in his shoes and will never claim I am for sure right about this stuff but have experienced over a decade and a half of hard drug and alcohol abuse (clean and sober for almost 9 yr) to know that these are not the things that are on your mind regularly when you are fucked up 24/7. Sane people yes, addicts not so much :D

Stramm8":s7kq7xg4 said:
Like someone mentioned earlier; to me it's more about the scope of Van Halen compared to Ozzy(Randy Rhodes), DLR(Vai), Yngwie.
I'd say Ozzy was and is way bigger than VH.....

Greazygeo":21m45fst said:
Stramm8":21m45fst said:
Like someone mentioned earlier; to me it's more about the scope of Van Halen compared to Ozzy(Randy Rhodes), DLR(Vai), Yngwie.
I'd say Ozzy was and is way bigger than VH.....
I'd say that's a reasonable argument. I might not say way bigger, though. Sammy era VH was pretty big.

Who's the "bigger" guitarist though, RR or EVH? I'd say EVH.

sjk":1zhdfwi4 said:
"You get a god damn job before sundown or we're shipping you off to military school with that god damn finkelstein shit kid...son of a bitch!"
CLASSIC Cheech and Chong... Nicely played. "Bend and scoop, like the Mexicans...we can get ya started on strawberries and work your way to these goddamn bananas. When boy, WHEN(???) are you gonna get yer act together?!?!?"

:LOL: :LOL: :hys:

Hell, that signature just brought back some memories...

Mo

Stramm8":fh98tuvn said:
If he was so concerned about all of these other "better" players it seems he would have started imitating them like they imitated him...
Unfortunately for him, he wasn't nearly good enough to do that

The thing about Ozzy being bigger than VH got me thinking.

The people that we guitar players consider big are not the same ones people that just listen to music consider big.

This got me curious. It appears VH has sold around 56M, and Ozzy 37M. For global popularity, record sales, and party music panty removal power.... VH wins in a good contest.

And VH has not changed the lineup that much over the years. Ozzy tosses out great guitar players like people take out the trash. VH only screwed over Michael Anthony. Ozzy screwed more guys than Boy George...

Heritage Softail":2zdgnygh said:
The thing about Ozzy being bigger than VH got me thinking.

The people that we guitar players consider big are not the same ones people that just listen to music consider big.

This got me curious. It appears VH has sold around 56M, and Ozzy 37M. For global popularity, record sales, and party music panty removal power.... VH wins in a good contest.

And VH has not changed the lineup that much over the years. Ozzy tosses out great guitar players like people take out the trash. VH only screwed over Michael Anthony. Ozzy screwed more guys than Boy George...

I just read that Ozzy has sold over 100 million albums worldwide compared to 75 million for VH. I think you're looking at USA sales only.

Funny how Bon Jovi blows them both away.

Back